Baby BMW Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
I’m a delivery driver and see this all of the time on my travels around the country, just don’t risk anything mate, if you we’re going the speed limit then you would have been fine, don’t give the system a chance to punish you for your own evidence… move on and add another driver in the list of arseholes which you encounter in your driving life

· Administrator
4,145 Posts
I'm now thinking submitting video evidence is not the best idea and thinking of grabbing some screenshots, edit the speed leaving 7?mph and submit those followed by a secure delete of the files.
Can’t you just crop the picture and remove the bottom line with speed?
Someone I know submitted footage of a driver scraping a parked car but muted some of the audio, the police rung him about a month later to ask if he had the unedited files because if it's edited in any way they couldn't open a formal investigation, only send a sh*tty letter about driving conduct.

· Super Moderator
546 Posts
In fairness, a scary letter about driving conduct is better than nothing at all!

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,030 Posts
This is one reason I don't have a dash cam, I just cant be arsed with it. For all you know this was a stolen car and might not even belong to them. Is it worth risking getting points and a fine for what could end up a dead end if the car was stolen?

Driving was better before dash cams - there are always idiots on the road, best just to ignore them and let them get on with it.

I'm not suggesting this is you, but I also read the other day Police are clamping down on people submitting dash cam reports because some people are actually inciting drivers into stuff just so they can record it and submit it to the Police. :oops:

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you start editing the footage it's going to be very obvious to the Police. I think you could be getting into dangerous territory there if construed as tampering with evidence.

I would leave well alone and put it down to experience.
I was considering editing by deleting/blanking information eg the 4 of 74mph as opposed to changing it to a zero similar to the blanking of the first part of the coordinates.
In fairness, a scary letter about driving conduct is better than nothing at all!
That would be good in my eyes to put the $hits up him
This is one reason I don't have a dash cam, I just cant be arsed with it. For all you know this was a stolen car and might not even belong to them. Is it worth risking getting points and a fine for what could end up a dead end if the car was stolen?
Highly unlikely as he appeared to be wearing hi vis.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

Oops! I seem to have included his number plate!! :sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: dxnnyk

· Registered
1,482 Posts
It's hard to tell with the foreshortening affect of rhe camers. But the road markings suggest 12-15 metres. Somewhat closer than reasonable.

His move from 4 to 3 looks poor.

It's hard to form a sensible view from 2 stills, but that limited view from the first still suggests everybodys lane discipline was poor with a totally empty lane 1.

Given the still it would have been about the right place for the op to move from 4 to 3 depending on traffic in front.

It seems likely op did start to move shortly afterwards and should have done so irrespective of whether he felt intimidated into it. It was 15 seconds between shot 1 and 2 which seems a reasonable period especially considering audi had caught up, started to pass and carved up op in that period.

The context of getting to the point where audi was tailgating might be informative.

But doesn't justify.

It seems likely that op had been sitting in the offside lane for some time (irritating Audi who felt he shouldn't have). But from the position and seperation of the vehicles in lane 3 that was likely ok. He was actively overtaking.

I wouldn't send the footage personally. I'd never send anything though. Any doctored footage raises a question as to motivation and prior behaviour.

The recorded speed shown on the video would be inadmissible. However there is a theoretical possibility of ascertainin a speed from road marking and the video. But they are not going to be doing that in this sort of circumstance.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
It's hard to tell with the foreshortening affect of rhe camers. But the road markings suggest 12-15 metres. Somewhat closer than reasonable.
2 Seconds would equate to around 62-67m

It's hard to form a sensible view from 2 stills, but that limited view from the first still suggests everybodys lane discipline was poor with a totally empty lane 1.
I can't account for others not using lane 1 although the Audi did at 12:35:03 :lol2:
It's more obvious on the video as you can follow his moves.
Car Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Infrastructure

Given the still it would have been about the right place for the op to move from 4 to 3 depending on traffic in front.

It seems likely op did start to move shortly afterwards and should have done so irrespective of whether he felt intimidated into it. It was 15 seconds between shot 1 and 2 which seems a reasonable period especially considering audi had caught up, started to pass and carved up op in that period.

The context of getting to the point where audi was tailgating might be informative.

But doesn't justify.

It seems likely that op had been sitting in the offside lane for some time (irritating Audi who felt he shouldn't have). But from the position and seperation of the vehicles in lane 3 that was likely ok. He was actively overtaking.
There you go, front and rear views with same time stamps

I couldn't have moved over any sooner and is why I accelerated into the gap because I didn't want to cut the other car up.
Car Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Photograph Tire

I wouldn't send the footage personally. I'd never send anything though. Any doctored footage raises a question as to motivation and prior behaviour.

The recorded speed shown on the video would be admissible. However there is a theoretical possibility of ascertainin a speed from road marking and the video. But they are not going to be doing that in this sort of circumstance.
Why wouldn't a GPS speed readout be admissable?

Whilst still half tempted having extracted the evidence in more detail, as much as it hurts me to say, I've decided not to submit.

· Registered
1,482 Posts
The GPS is not a prescribed device. It's not calibrated etc. So - of itself - it provides precisely no evidence as to speed.

There is always the possibility of ascertaining your speed from the footage by reference to a known distance which can be marked from two points. The duration would be known from the footage so that would then be admissible via expert testimony.

That would only generally be used in the event of serious crash or similar. (Eg people uploaded video to you tube at gross speeds).

In any event your speed was such that had it been detected via radar or similar it would not have been actioned, whilst that doesn't preclude prosecution it would give rise to an arguable not in public interest argument.

I am not aware of this approach being used for a mere speeding offence but it has been used for more significant offences.

· Super Moderator
963 Posts
Submit to UK Dashcams YouTube channel. Let the YT comments section crucify the guy. You never know, he might end up seeing the footage and realise what a d**k he was being. Then again, maybe not :)

You'll get at least some satisfaction from publicising his driving.

· Registered
2016 M240i
5,030 Posts
Just get on with your life, and forget about it. UK lane discipline is shocking, and a lot of people are guilty of it. You say from those pics above you couldn't pull in, but that gap between the RR and the other silver car is exactly the gap I pull into if someone is closing behind me and wants to pass, it looks big enough to me!! - if they are faster than I'm going, then what benefit do I get from stopping them going on their way? Just move over if the gap is suitable and let people get on with it. I regularly quickly pull into a small gap, let the car go, then pull out again. But many people don't through some sort of entitled feeling.

Who knows what goes through peoples minds. I had some Tesla knob flashing me last night like mad after I overtook him on the motorway, then pull alongside and gesticulate, and then boot it off into the distance. I just told him to feck off, gave him the "banker" sign, laughed at his poor quality EV, and went on my way. Still absolutely no idea what his issue was!!! :LOL: :D

Reactions: Gez

· Registered
1,482 Posts
Hard to tell. If you are referring to the gap at 12:33:29 with the standard spacing on white lines on a motorway it's about 18m.

I doubt I'd have used it and my lane discipline is obviously perfect :).

If I was the following car and somebody slipped into it I would he mildly miffed (though I would have backed off a shade to open up the gap a bit).

Your sentiment is entirely right. Lifes too short.

People get pissed and behave oddly for many unknown reasons. If a tesla driver shakes is knob at me I might he concerned though.

Reactions: OneTwenty

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi 120
Not really wanting to extend this thread unecessarily, but there's no way I would jump out of the way to a bully and dive into a space which, quite frankly, didn't look as if it was anywhere near two seconds to start with and further upset someone who, it seems, has previously been forced out of the way by said bully - hence my comment about finally accelerating into the lane 3 space.
Similarly, I would wait until a decent space opens up in a lane outside of me before moving to overtake someone.
Moving on.....

· Registered
2,016 Posts
Once we learn that getting angry and feeling hard done to by jerks in cars hurts only oneself (raised blood pressure, unhappiness, feelings of hurt) - and not the jerk in question - we also learn to let the jerks just get on their way unimpeded without even the thought of closing that gap or beating them to the roundabout or engaging in all manners of punishment and judgement, including horn blowing, eager dash cam reviews once home etc etc.

And here the really interesting bit: once we do this, our apparent encounters with jerks reduce significantly.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts