Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have dashcam evidence of someone tailgating me on lane 4 of 4 lane motorway whilst I’m passing cars in lane 3, then trying to drive into the side of me when passing mw followed by him undertaking other cars using lanes 1 & 2 before moving back out to lane 4 again.

My problem is that my speed was averaging around 75mph rising to 85mph when getting away from him and moving over to lane 3.

I’ve asked the police indicating the speeds involved before submitting if I would incriminate myself and their response in asking me to submit was “I will review the evidence, and as far as speeding is concerned you were responding to an urgent situation”.

Is that a No or Maybe response??? Is it possible I could receive a NIP for speeding? I’m thinking I need to ask again before submitting.

Ideally, I’m really looking for a response from police and/or legal experts or those who have experienced similar rather than opinions although opinions welcome probably to say don’t do it but it’s the intimidation that really got me.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

Car Sky Tire Vehicle Cloud

Attachments

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If you were avoiding an accident, I can't see how the police could prosecute you. My shunt earlier this year, I would have sped off if there weren't vehicles in front of me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My work computer doesn't like that link Nyx!!
Thanks Nyxeris.

Whilst my Firefox flags it as potentially unsafe, VirusTotal shows it as safe and it is accessible by overriding the warning.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have dashcam evidence of someone tailgating me on lane 4 of 4 lane motorway whilst I’m passing cars in lane 3, then trying to drive into the side of me when passing mw followed by him undertaking other cars using lanes 1 & 2 before moving back out to lane 4 again.

My problem is that my speed was averaging around 75mph rising to 85mph when getting away from him and moving over to lane 3.

I’ve asked the police indicating the speeds involved before submitting if I would incriminate myself and their response in asking me to submit was “I will review the evidence, and as far as speeding is concerned you were responding to an urgent situation”.

Is that a No or Maybe response??? Is it possible I could receive a NIP for speeding? I’m thinking I need to ask again before submitting.

Ideally, I’m really looking for a response from police and/or legal experts or those who have experienced similar rather than opinions although opinions welcome probably to say don’t do it but it’s the intimidation that really got me.

View attachment 19946

View attachment 19947
Disclaimer: The article is in the Sun and not exactly the same circumstances as your incident, but it does show you need to be careful when submitting your own dash cam footage if it also incriminates you.

Woman sends cops video of SUV driver swerving between lanes – but they both get prosecuted because SHE was in wrong too | The Sun

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Disgraceful driving from a driver who definitely deserves to be dealt with appropriately - but for me, however, it would be a case of leaving it be given you would create the risk of being prosecuted yourself.

It is easy for whoever you spoke to to say that you were responding to an urgent situation but equally possible for them to "review" followed by 'On reviewing your evidence, we don't feel this particular situation was urgent enough for you to be speeding - by the way: here's 3 points.'

Article posted by Mark above says it all really.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That Sun story yesterday (also in Mail and probably others) was good timing - It's about time they did something about lane hogs! I'm convinced it would improve traffic flow.

Ok, on reflection, the police cannot give a guarantee of not pursuing me until they see the evidence.

Whilst I'm convinced I did nothing wrong other than speeding, I don't want to take the risk of losing my record of 50 years of penalty free driving so I'm now thinking submitting video evidence is not the best idea and thinking of grabbing some screenshots, edit the speed leaving 7?mph and submit those followed by a secure delete of the files.

·
Registered
987 Posts
He's was speeding, any report could end up self incriminating. I doubt the police will do much with just stills from the video as there's no context to the car positioning.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's was speeding, any report could end up self incriminating. I doubt the police will do much with just stills from the video as there's no context to the car positioning.
I think car positioning is quite clear if you look where the white line is.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The reasons to why the cars are positioned that way aren't though, the Audi could claim you were driving erratically by weaving lanes and brake checking them. I'd just let it go, you'll get the next one.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fair enough in the eyes of the law you were speeding but if you do 70mph these days you're holding people up and we're not cows following the slowest in the herd.
Personally I think a quick blast to get out the way of a bully who isn't getting any at home is the safest thing to do 🙂
Perhaps I'll hire you as my legal advisor to get me off any offence 😁

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
That Sun story yesterday (also in Mail and probably others) was good timing - It's about time they did something about lane hogs! I'm convinced it would improve traffic flow.

Ok, on reflection, the police cannot give a guarantee of not pursuing me until they see the evidence.

Whilst I'm convinced I did nothing wrong other than speeding, I don't want to take the risk of losing my record of 50 years of penalty free driving so I'm now thinking submitting video evidence is not the best idea and thinking of grabbing some screenshots, edit the speed leaving 7?mph and submit those followed by a secure delete of the files.
If you start editing the footage it's going to be very obvious to the Police. I think you could be getting into dangerous territory there if construed as tampering with evidence.

I would leave well alone and put it down to experience.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts