Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,670 Posts
Anyone fitted these yet in stock sizes?
Fitted them to my M3 in early March.

Pros -
• £120 less for a set of 4 compared to the PS4S.
• decent alloy protection.
• Utterly fantastic grip (wet and dry).

Cons - Truly awful tyre wear.

I’ve covered 4k miles and the rears are down to 5mm already!!! (fronts on 6mm).

At this rate they’ll be in the bloody bin at 8k.

My advice? Stick with Michelin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fitted them to my M3 in early March.

Pros -
• £120 less for a set of 4 compared to the PS4S.
• decent alloy protection.
• Utterly fantastic grip (wet and dry).

Cons - Truly awful tyre wear.

I’ve covered 4k miles and the rears are down to 5mm already!!! (fronts on 6mm).

At this rate they’ll be in the bloody bin at 8k.

My advice? Stick with Michelin.
Cheers for the heads up. I've been thinking of trying the SC7. I don't think I will now.

·
Premium Member
11,670 Posts
Cheers for the heads up. I've been thinking of trying the SC7. I don't think I will now.
So, I’ve just had a read up, and apparently the SC7 doesn’t come with 8mm tyre depth like I assumed!!!

Only comes with 6.5mm tread!!! In which case the SC7 aren’t as bad on wear as I first thought.

Should get 12-15k which isn’t bad at all for the grip I get.

Grip is very much like the Michelin cup 2’s but without the concern you end up in a ditch when it rains lol

·
Premium Member
11,670 Posts
Pretty measly tread depth for a new tyre though. Hopefully not a sign of things to come with other manufacturers.
Annoyingly. I can’t get/find a definitive answer on tread depth for the SC7. Seen one site say 6.5mm and another say 7mm!!!!! I have emailed Continental direct for an answer.

I found it very frustrating trying to find tyre depths on any tyre spec web site. Every dimension and decibel but no depths.

Although, Michelin Cup 2’s have always come with 7.2mm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, I’ve just had a read up, and apparently the SC7 doesn’t come with 8mm tyre depth like I assumed!!!

Only comes with 6.5mm tread!!! In which case the SC7 aren’t as bad on wear as I first thought.

Should get 12-15k which isn’t bad at all for the grip I get.

Grip is very much like the Michelin cup 2’s but without the concern you end up in a ditch when it rains lol
Not too bad if that is the case then. I remember Jonathan on Tyre Reviews saying another tyre comes with less tread. Can’t remember if it was a Continental or not though. The SC7 came out on top of their staggered fitment RWD shootout. It was the main reason I was keen to try them.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Those Conti 7 really a kilo lighter than the Michelin on the front, and more than half kilo on the rear? Some save less fitting expensive titanium wheel bolts!
Good spot. Every unsprung kilo helps!

I'm definitely putting these on the shortlist when it comes to replacing mine.

Reactions: Emm

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone know how these compare size wise? I’ve seen seen a couple of people say they might be narrower than the Michelins. I’ve come across this before with the stock Pirelli’s on RS3’s. The 255/35/19 Pirelli were noticeably narrower than the 255/35/19 PS4S.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Does anyone know how these compare size wise? I’ve seen seen a couple of people say they might be narrower than the Michelins. I’ve come across this before with the stock Pirelli’s on RS3’s. The 255/35/19 Pirelli were noticeably narrower than the 255/35/19 PS4S.
That's probably a question for Jonathan at Tyre Reviews. He's actually really good at responding to questions on the various socials.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So my thoughts after a track day and 600 miles of mixed road use:

I measured starting tread at 7.3mm rear and 7.1mm front. After a half dry/half wet track day they're at 6.5mm rear and 5.8mm front. On my old Michelin Pilot Super Sports I'd lose between 2mm and 3mm per full dry track day, so they seem to hold up pretty well on track, no worse than the Michelins at least.

Balance wise the front tyres in particular feel a lot stronger than the Michelins, I noticed a lot less mid corner understeer. But in general dry grip is fantastic, and behaves very consistently at the limit.

No noticeable difference in noise and comfort.

In the wet the grip is seriously good, it almost feels like an all season tyre in the wet. I was deliberately trying to provoke the back end and had to push it way further than I thought I'd have to, massive step up from the Michelins which are garbage in the wet.

Overall highly recommended. Also the cheapest tyre in the segment which is nice!

·
Registered
45 Posts

I measured starting tread at 7.3mm rear and 7.1mm front. After a half dry/half wet track day they're at 6.5mm rear and 5.8mm front. On my old Michelin Pilot Super Sports I'd lose between 2mm and 3mm per full dry track day, so they seem to hold up pretty well on track, no worse than the Michelins at least.

Balance wise the front tyres in particular feel a lot stronger than the Michelins, I noticed a lot less mid corner understeer. But in general dry grip is fantastic, and behaves very consistently at the limit.

In the wet the grip is seriously good, it almost feels like an all season tyre in the wet. I was deliberately trying to provoke the back end and had to push it way further than I thought I'd have to, massive step up from the Michelins which are garbage in the wet.

Overall highly recommended. Also the cheapest tyre in the segment which is nice!
Some decent feedback there then. The cost is a big factor. When I was looking the other day they are nearly £300 cheaper for a set of 4 compared to PS4s.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Thanks for the feedback aways good to get info on latest tyres on the market.

You say 'no noticeable difference in noise and comfort," is that comparing old worn PSS to new CSC7?

The only reason I ask is the PS4S is supposed to offer good wet grip but softer ride than PSS, would you say that isn't the case with the CSC7? Sometime the PSS can be a little harsh over road imperfections and expansion gaps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased a M240i recently and that had a new set of Nexen N Fera SU1 fitted, my first thought was to change them as soon as they are half warn but to be fair they hold up well especially in the dry ( squirm a bit on the rear in the wet under hard work), so undecided when they get low.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the feedback aways good to get info on latest tyres on the market.

You say 'no noticeable difference in noise and comfort," is that comparing old worn PSS to new CSC7?

The only reason I ask is the PS4S is supposed to offer good wet grip but softer ride than PSS, would you say that isn't the case with the CSC7? Sometime the PSS can be a little harsh over road imperfections and expansion gaps.
Yeah, I've had a couple of sets of PSS so I can compare new vs new. I wasn't really paying a huge amount of attention to noise and comfort as I never had a problem with the PSS in that area, so only big differences would have stood out and I can't really recall any.

Never had PS4S so I can't compare there, but from what I understand they have soft sidewalls so it makes sense they'd be slightly more refined at the expense of being a bit less sharp handling-wise

1 - 19 of 19 Posts