Baby BMW Forum banner
41 - 60 of 106 Posts

Registered
LOL i logged-in today having to re-enter the password and greeted to a whole new look - but i thought it was because i updated my laptop OS a couple of days ago that changed it 馃槀
I wouldn't have known about the change if some of these posts weren't "suggested" to me at the bottom of the page, so i guess that feature has been useful, although i do worry about algorithms like social media platforms - is this now one too?? However the "Like" button is very welcome, something i've often desired :)
But, yeah, this place does feel more towards FaceBook style now than 'forum' but also more contemporary. I only really use it on the laptop, not mobile device, so can't comment on that but from what others have said i'm glad i have adBlocker!
The "quote" function feels a bit odd in that it saves it like a mini-clipboard thing, it'll take some getting used-to...

Are attached images still limited to 250KB?

I miss the old smilies gif animations, they were great and more fun than the standard emojis common today which are now also here, could you find a way to bring them back [if you haven't lost them!]? Maybe incorporate a special BabyBMW GIF button?

Anyway, good or not-so-great it's up-to each person, but i do appreciate the efforts of y'all have put in to maintaining the forum! (y)

Registered
BMW 220d M Sport
Hoping this will help...Cricket posted earlier about ways to make your way around the site here, how to navigate thread listings here. And if you have favorite forums that you like to follow or frequent, you can always follow them again so as to keep them at the top of the site for easier access. This is explained in detail here

~Mike D
The fact that there is a guide to show you how to navigate the site speaks volumes, we didn't need one before this disaster of an update

Registered
Hoping this will help...Cricket posted earlier about ways to make your way around the site here, how to navigate thread listings here. And if you have favorite forums that you like to follow or frequent, you can always follow them again so as to keep them at the top of the site for easier access. This is explained in detail here

~Mike D
Thank you Mike. I did briefly look over a few things prior to my comment but it was good of you to point the above out. It's a matter off getting used to everything and working with the new format. I am sure constructive feedback will be welcomed, there is never any point in just being outright negative. Having said that, I did make a suggestion to admin a while ago and received no response which was disappointing.

There may well be things that prove better, I like the dark option as pointed out and once we get used to them, the ways to navigate will become instinctive. I view the thanks button lightly because having seen it's use on forums, some use the facility well, others not so.

The main thing is the forum is still here as mentioned above and whilst it might not appear quite as easy as it was, I am pleased it continues. 馃憤

Registered
2016 M240i
also work out what has happened to my logo image, blurry and chopped off at the moment
the makeover is a poor imitation of
It's the same software, and the same company that own both forums now, so it will be exactly the same rather than an imitation.

I'm fine with the new system so far, no major issues for me and the added Like button is fun, plus better emojis etc.

I won't be chucking my toys out the pram just yet. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Semerka

Registered
I like the new platform too (using adBlocker).
It's more modern, just needs a bit of time to get used to. 馃槑
Better search facility, easier photo sharing and the LIKE button is a great addition.

Reactions: OneTwenty

Registered
BMW 220d M Sport
re the above two posts the Thank you button was possible on the previous platform, someone decided not to use it
I am used to this platform as Bimmerfest use it
so further use will not make me prefer it, There are 2 bimmerfest BMW forums and I have used those far less than our old version

Registered
2016 M240i
re the above two posts the Thank you button was possible on the previous platform, someone decided not to use it
I am used to this platform as Bimmerfest use it
so further use will not make me prefer it, There are 2 bimmerfest BMW forums and I have used those far less than our old version
Well it's here now, and they won't go back to the old system, so this is it. :unsure:

I once read a book that I use in these situations, called "Who moved my cheese". It's a very simple book, only about 30mins to read, but I still apply it to any change in my life even 22 years after reading it.

Well worth a read for anyone annoyed with the new forum.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Are attached images still limited to 250KB?

I believe it is 20 MB. :)

I miss the old smilies gif animations, they were great and more fun than the standard emojis common today which are now also here, could you find a way to bring them back [if you haven't lost them!]? Maybe incorporate a special BabyBMW GIF button?

Let me look into this to see if we can recover any of these.

The "quote" function feels a bit odd in that it saves it like a mini-clipboard thing, it'll take some getting used-to...

There are a few more ways to use the quote feature.

How To Quote

When you see a post that you want to quote, click the reply button on that post. It will automatically add the quoted content to the content area where you can add your reply/comments following the code.

How To Multi-Quote

Step 1
: Click the multi-quote icon at the bottom of each post that you want to quote.

Step 2: Scroll down to the text editor where you are going to write your post. Click "Insert Quotes".

Step 3: A small window will pop up for you to verify (or delete) quoted content that will be added to your post. Click "Quote messages".

Final Step: The quoted content will automatically be added to the text editor.

Add your comments and click to post your reply.

Added Notes: You can multi-quote from more than one discussion thread in the forum. You can also simply highlight the part of the text you want to quote. A small popup will allow you to choose the multi-quote option using just the selected content.

- Cricket

Registered
I鈥檝e tried, but it鈥檚 still a whole lot worse.

An analogy would be car handbrakes.
Normal handbrake - simple, easy to use, perfectly effective and rarely gives you hassle. Done sterling service for years, nobody actively dislikes it so no need to change.
Electric handbrake - pointless 鈥渦pgrade鈥 for the end user, that nobody wants or needs. Can be confusing and troublesome.

Registered
Well, this is certainly a shame. Not a massive fan of the new software/look but that's only because I dislike change for change's sake.

However, I like this community a great deal and there's so much useful information on this forum that I will continue to visit.

Edit: made a mess of my sig, lol. Need to edit.

Registered
There are some nice new features, and admittedly there were areas that could have improved with the old forum but overall I can't say I prefer this over the old forum.

There was something about the way the old forum looked and felt that made it seem welcoming and simple to use. Like most other members, I belong to many other forums and this is the one that feels most friendly and helpful of them all. A large part of this is down to the members but I do think the forum software does in some ways contribute to this as well.

Instead of a complete wholesale change, could the old forum not be tweaked?

I think it would be useful to have a poll to see what the general consensus is on this new forum.

Reactions: swanny71

Registered
Amazing how many moaners on here.... the old site was very clunky on photos, which was a nightmare. This is awesome.
Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

Just click and drop.

Well done guys. You won't please everyone, but those that give it a try will learn to appreciate it.

Reactions: VSAdmin
41 - 60 of 106 Posts