Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

My recent M2 purchase came with an "M2" personalised plate. It's not worth much as it has a fairly random set of 3 letters after the "M2". However, I do want to put it on retention for either flogging at some point or putting back on the car when I do eventually sell it.

Putting a plate on retention is easy, no advice needed. But, I have a personal plate that's been in my family for nearly 40 years that I transfer to all vehicles that I own. The question is: can a currently assigned cherished plate be put on retention at the same time as assigning another cherished reg to a car, rather than have the car go back to its original '68' plate, having to wait for the V5 again, then applying my reg?

Appreciate anybody's advice who has done this specific thing. I've done a bit of 'the Goog' but not been able to find an answer.

My plate was on my father's car when he passed away and so it has a lot of sentimental value. So, not really interested in anyone's general opinion on the merits (or lack thereof) of personalised plates :sleep:

·
Registered
595 Posts
A call to DVLA would be worthwhile, I always find them extremely helpful. They will tell you the best way forward and if any workarounds are needed / applicable, they will know. I recently needed to check on an unusual situation for a historic vehicle and they gave me a way forward.

Having said that, I found this so a call may tell you of any short cuts

If you already have a private number....etc.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Electric blue Darkness

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll give them a call Monday. Was just hoping someone might have some direct experience of this particular procedure; what forms, etc.

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for taking the time to answer, Dizeee, but "how many plates can one person have on retention" was not the question I asked.

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts
The question is: can a currently assigned cherished plate be put on retention at the same time as assigning another cherished reg to a car, rather than have the car go back to its original '68' plate, having to wait for the V5 again, then applying my reg?
To clarify, plate A ('M2 XXX') is currently on the car and you want this in retention, plate B is what you want to put on the car (without making the car go back to its 68 plate)?

I've read up on this issue in the past and found a result on the internet, which I unfortunately can't find right now but if I come across it will attach in another reply. I recall they said it is possible but you would need to contact DVLA to do it, whereas another said they started the process with DVLA and have ended up in a pickle with regards to getting the retention certificate for the current plate.

However general consensus (and my personal opinion) is that it is probably worth doing it the long way round - i.e., plate A goes on retention and car goes onto 68 plate before assigning plate B. DVLA in my experience haven't got the best customer service so where the issue becomes slightly more complex I wouldn't trust them to do it right. Not where there is a risk of you losing the right to the 'M2' plate. Essentially what would be happening is one private plate is being transferred to another, leaving the issue of 'when do you get the retention certificate' - which I can't think up an answer for.

Sorry I wasn't able to provide first-hand experience but I guess one search result is better than none!

Reactions: Major_Sarcasm

·
Registered
246 Posts
sorry to hijack a friend of mine had a Mini with a plate LSD 500G, the mini was in his shed in pieces and never likely to make it on to the road again, pity, so he couldnt even transfer it, because no MOT/TAX etc

·
Super Moderator
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I wasn't able to provide first-hand experience but I guess one search result is better than none!
Thanks for the reply. I will give DooVLA a call tomorrow and get the lay of the land. Like you say, it may be just easier and less risky to go the long way round. I have the V5 now (2 days from purchase, which was impressive), so I can mess with it at my leisure.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It may be worth doing it via their email contact. You should then get a full written response.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If I understand correctly, I think you'll have to wait for the V5 with the original plate on before you can put yours on. Comes through in a day or 2 anyway so wouldn't have long to wait.
You could also put your private plate on top of the M2 one and when you take it back off in the future, it will go back on the M2 plate (assuming you don't want to sell it).
Save yourself £80 ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts