Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some oil today and after it arrived i realised that i had ordered Castrol Edge 5w30 LL and that the recommended oil for my 120d coupe is actually Castrol 5w30 M

I contacted the supplier and they said theyll take it back for a refund but due to coronavirus theyre not processing returns until may 1st. they dont sell Castrol Edge 5w30 M so I would have to get it elsewhere. Is it worth the hassle of returning it and getting the recommended oil or would it be ok??

I found some spec sheets of both oils and there doesnt seem to be a lot in it apart from the flash point. but there could obviously be other specs where they differ greatly that are not on the spec sheets..

Name Castrol EDGE 5W-30 M
Density @ 15C, Relative 0.8511 g/ml
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C 11.7 mm²/s
Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) 5900 mPa.s (cP)
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C 67 mm²/s
Viscosity Index 171
Pour Point -42 °C
Flash Point, PMCC 236 °C
Ash, Sulphated 0.7 % wt

ACEA C3
API SN PLUS
BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51/ 229.52

Name Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL
Density @ 15C, Relative 0.851 g/ml
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C 11.6 mm²/s
Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) 5700 mPa.s (cP)
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C 66 mm²/s
Viscosity Index 173
Pour Point -39 °C
Flash Point, PMCC 196 °C
Ash, Sulphated 0.75 % wt

ACEA C3
Approved - MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51, Porsche C30, VW 504 00/ 507 00

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Ok fair enough how often to you change oil then ?

The Castrol LL oil is approved as longlife oil for VW and Porsche etc so i would expect it to be fine in a BMW, just dont leave it in too long would be my advice, if you tend to leave oil until car asks for a change (not a good idea as above) then use a BMW approved which should give best life although i suspect there is very little difference between the 2 oils.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this will be my first oil change on the car. had it for a year but probably only done less than 3000 miles in that time. it was done by the previous owner in 2018 so figured it was time to do it now regardless of the miles and service indicator.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I thought BMW recommended using an oil meeting their Longlife 04 (LL04) specification if the car was fitted with a DPF owing to the low ash content (or something like that) compared to the older Longlife 01 (LL01) spec.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeh thats what ive seen. i thought this was LL04 when i ordered it. but confusingly 5w30 LL isnt long life bmw rated. comparing the ash ratings theres 0.05 percent difference. but no idea if thats a massive difference or practically identical. id normally have just sent it straight back but due to coronavirus they arent taking returns until May.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.