Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd read it would be a 10 minute job to change the chain tensioner. Getting the old one out only took 10 minutes, but after 4 hours of trying yesterday I could not for the life of me get the threads to start putting the new one in. Taking it off, I used a ring spanner to initially loosen then unwound it by hand. Trying to get it back on, I've tried pushing it in against the spring as hard as I can with the fingers of both hands whilst trying to turn it clockwise, but no bueno. I've also tried using a pry bar with my left hand to push it in whilst using the spanner in my right hand to turn it, but also no joy. And variations of the same. I have a 27m socket but can't get that on because of all the cooling hoses.

I'm wishing I'd drained the coolant before I started and taken off the big fat hose that's stopping me get the socket on it. Is that what's needed? I'm working on the car in the garage with no working space to get a jack under to remove the belly pan and drain it now, so the only way I could do that is to just pull the hose off the rad and let the coolant flood everywhere. But if that's what's I need to do then I'll have to.

I've searched through all the forums I can find and no-one else seems to have struggled this much. Makes me wonder if I'm not doing something wrong.

(It's the latest revision of the tensioner, if that makes a difference. Maybe it has a stronger spring but all the same it shouldn't be impossible if I'm doing it right, should it? Part no. 11 31 8 685 091)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still getting nowhere. Bought a shallow 27mm filter socket that I managed to get on with the hose in place, with a 45mm swivel extension to a flex-head mini ratchet. But I still can't push the damn thing in enough to get the thread to start. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might be a few tips in this old thread you could use
Tensioner

Are you able to compress the new tensioner bolt when its off the car?
That was actually one of the threads I'd found before starting the job and which made it sound easy. But I only read halfway. If only I'd read to the end I'd have realised it can be hard to get back in!

Yeah, I can compress it on the bench and it feels similar to the one I took out. (I've also tried getting the old one back in as a sanity check the dealer didn't sell me a part with the wrong thread).

The problem is it takes both hands and all the strength in my fingers to fully compress it, meaning I haven't got a free hand to turn it and engage the thread. When I turn it, I think what's happening is I'm no longer keeping it compressed enough against the thread. There were a couple of posters in that thread towards the end with the same problem, and a second pair of hands solved it. Thanks for posting. It made go back and read the whole thread, and at least now I know it's not me doing something wrong!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. I was all set to pull the coolant hose of the rad tomorrow and flood the garage but now I know it can be done with just a second pair of hands that's going to be a much better solution. I really didn't want to have to deal with bleeding the cooling system after and the cleaning up of all the mess!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts