Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I am going to be viewing some F20 B47-engined 125ds soon. I am concerned that previous owners may have removed the DPF.
I realise they can be gutted and welded, as well as being replaced with aftermarket pipes.
I'm wondering is it possible to see the DPF from inside the engine bay?

If a DPF has been removed, does the car still run the regen cycle periodically? Will scan tools still show estimated soot and ash levels and number of regens?
I will be looking at 60,000 mile cars and if the sellers don't mind I would like to check the ash loading before committing to a purchase.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can't properly see the DPF from the engine bay, no. The bay is too congested to see anything. As you open the bonnet & look at the engine, the DPF is located underneath & behind the turbos, so not easily visible.
Part of the physical removal is for the DPF to be coded out so it doesn't regen etc, so no, you shouldn't be able to read ash levels etc.
DPF removals (and EGR removals) are an MOT failure if detected, and aren't that common these days as a result. BMW DPFs are very reliable - as long as there aren't secondary issues preventing regeneration - and errors can't easily be coded out as they appear as messages (not warning lights) on the dash.
Personally I think you have very little to worry about (depending on where you buy of course).

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the dpf has been gutted or removed it will smell different “quite strong” and on tickover the sound will also have a slightly deeper tone.

Only issue if you have never experienced the above with a vehicle you 100% know has had the dpf removed, you might not be able to tell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts