Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
old: e82 MSport N47 120d. current e82 MSport N52 125i.
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been nursing a wheel speed sensor fault for a couple of weeks; I have a new sensor but lost the locking wheel nut :). I have both now and I will change it soon but yesterday on a very short run to the shops the Yellow engine check light came on.
So I read the fault codes and all that cam e up was Wheel-Speed Sensor codes
002FE4
002F54
005DB4
005DB1
005DB0
005D86
and an old FRM code 00E598

Is the yellow check light likely to be anything to do with the wheel speed sensor? this isn't my first sensor fault and I've never had the light before. But I have no other codes :(

·
Registered
2005 BMW 130i
112 Posts
not heard of that, think multiple wheel speed sensor faults lead to restraint system warning. for the engine light you could grab the CCID code for it and see what that says?

Is 5D86 actually 5DB6? if so then "direction of rotation" faults can be caused by the wheel bearing, i.e. not guaranteed to be the sensor.

putting those codes into ISTA unhelpfully lists multiple results for each, seems likely that its just the rear left corner, but some of the results refer to general DSC sensors (i guess accelerometer types) or module faults... does seem a bit odd to have so many codes just for a sensor issue

good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks; I'll swap the sensor this evening clear the faults and see what happens.
It probably does need the reluctor rings addressing so it might be in for new half-shafts at this rate anyway.

·
Registered
600 Posts
When you take the sensor out, shine a light into the opening, you will be able to see the ring, turn the wheel and you will get an idea of it's condition, any shiny areas will be catching, if split, it's well gone and could be a waste fitting the new sensor. If you have spent money on a decent one, it could get damaged after a few rotations and you will need another. If the ring has slight markings only, it could be worth slipping a small washer under the sensor to create a slightly larger gap as a short term measure. That buys a bit of extra time. The rings appear to expand from the inner edge at first as rust forms underneath.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I changed the sensor and everything has gone back to normal on the dash.
Unfortonatly a few months ago when I first had a rear left sensor error I'd spent hours cleaning the rings etcand spacing the sensors out a bit so it was hard to say what might be rubbing today. I used a fairly cheap sensor though so we'll see. I pull it out in a couple of weeks and see if it looks like it's rubbing.
The back disks need changing I might just get the shafts done at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts