Baby BMW Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So the camera worked fine this morning, then this evening I had the same issue occur again. It appears to be triggered by:
  • Put the car into reverse and camera works
  • Reverse a couple of meters
  • Put car back into drive
  • Drive forwards a few meters
  • Put the car into reverse
  • Camera failure!

I’ll be curious if anyone else can reproduce the above.

Software version is 07/2022.40
An additional note on this, when driving forward after the initial use of the camera I notice that the camera “switches off”. I think this is probably after a certain speed or distance. I’m sure this is the same as your testing but might be worth noting if your camera stays on throughout these steps.

· Registered
56 Posts
Just had a little play with this again, and it seems to have resolved itself which is strange. I tried it a few times, both by hitting the home button to close the camera and by driving until it turns off then going back into reverse and it came on every time.
There was no message to say the firmware has been updated so I don't know if this has changed as I didn't check it before, but it's running 07/2022.59 now

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Just had a little play with this again, and it seems to have resolved itself which is strange. I tried it a few times, both by hitting the home button to close the camera and by driving until it turns off then going back into reverse and it came on every time.
There was no message to say the firmware has been updated so I don't know if this has changed as I didn't check it before, but it's running 07/2022.59 now
Oh that’s really inteasting! Did you know if you were on 07/2022.40 before? Edit: Just noticed you said you didn’t know what version it was before. I wonder if there is a way to check the history?
Also, glad to hear it’s resolved for you now :)
My dealer is going to try and remotely diagnose mine this week.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
Oh that’s really inteasting! Did you know if you were on 07/2022.40 before? Edit: Just noticed you said you didn’t know what version it was before. I wonder if there is a way to check the history?
Also, glad to hear it’s resolved for you now :)
My dealer is going to try and remotely diagnose mine this week.
I’m sure even incremental updates (which usually only get installed if the fault is referred to a dealer) would have to be acknowledged by the owner before an install is activated.

· Registered
56 Posts
I’m sure even incremental updates (which usually only get installed if the fault is referred to a dealer) would have to be acknowledged by the owner before an install is activated.
With my other half's Tesla, you have to acknowledge any updates on the app or from the car before they can be applied, and I'd think it would be the same or similar with BMW, at least you'd expect a notification to say "software has been upgraded to xxxxx", and I didn't get any of those.
I will keep my eye on it over the next few days and see if the camera fail issue comes up again, but will be interesting to hear what your dealer says too @spursmat

· Registered
257 Posts
With my other half's Tesla, you have to acknowledge any updates on the app or from the car before they can be applied, and I'd think it would be the same or similar with BMW, at least you'd expect a notification to say "software has been upgraded to xxxxx", and I didn't get any of those.
I will keep my eye on it over the next few days and see if the camera fail issue comes up again, but will be interesting to hear what your dealer says too @spursmat
I’m not sure about BMW OTA updates but our Mercedes would update without any notification .

· Registered
257 Posts
In the 12 years ( 5 BMWs) I’ve never had an OTA update install without permission
Our Merc updated once in a carpark on a driving holiday in Scotland, when we came back to the car the screens would not come on , after a while of trying turning it off & on , locking & unlocking & nearly calling the AA it came to life , it found out later on the app the car had a Nav OTA update at that time , asking permission first is probably a good idea .

· Registered
56 Posts
Our Merc updated once in a carpark on a driving holiday in Scotland, when we came back to the car the screens would not come on , after a while of trying turning it off & on , locking & unlocking & nearly calling the AA it came to life , it found out later on the app the car had a Nav OTA update at that time , asking permission first is probably a good idea .
Yeah that's not great! When the notification comes up for the Tesla, it says the vehicle will not be driveable for 20-30 minutes and you can then schedule the update or start it immediately, and even then you have a 2 minute period to cancel if you mess up...seems the sensible way of going about it!

· Registered
257 Posts
Yeah that's not great! When the notification comes up for the Tesla, it says the vehicle will not be driveable for 20-30 minutes and you can then schedule the update or start it immediately, and even then you have a 2 minute period to cancel if you mess up...seems the sensible way of going about it!
Just notice these settings on the app ion the remote update page :

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Sat in their car for a while tonight and simply switching the camera on and off via the menus causes it to fail. If I then press the home button and move around in the menus for a minute it works again! This is all with the ignition off. Will see what the dealer sees tomorrow but I’m hopeful we can get a software update sorted as it definitely feels like a software issue.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts