Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this? I seem to remember there was a “Stop Sale” in the US last year due to the risk of this happening.

I’m hoping it will fix itself overnight lol.

Gadget Communication Device Display device Font Multimedia

· Registered
293 Posts
Has anyone experienced this? I seem to remember there was a “Stop Sale” in the US last year due to the risk of this happening.

I’m hoping it will fix itself overnight lol.

View attachment 20657
I've not had that but when reversing today the screen never changed from the radio display until I stopped reversing,put it in park then into reverse again at which point the camera showed up.
Also on start up once I've had the main screen stay black until I pressed the home button then all the tiles appeared immediately.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not had that but when reversing today the screen never changed from the radio display until I stopped reversing,put it in park then into reverse again at which point the camera showed up.
Also on start up once I've had the main screen stay black until I pressed the home button then all the tiles appeared immediately.
That’s interesting because I had the same thing earlier when it was on the media display and wouldn’t engage the camera until I had parked! Must be a bug in iDrive 8!

· Registered
293 Posts
That’s interesting because I had the same thing earlier when it was on the media display and wouldn’t engage the camera until I had parked! Must be a bug in iDrive 8!
This isnt good,hopefully it isnt something that gets progressively worse.I wonder if my camera will fail soon like yours has since we have both had it fail to show up on the display.Car into the detailer tomorrow so wont have anything to report for a few days.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This isnt good,hopefully it isnt something that gets progressively worse.I wonder if my camera will fail soon like yours has since we have both had it fail to show up on the display.Car into the detailer tomorrow so wont have anything to report for a few days.
I was just reading the other thread about the screen completely freezing but that was on iDrive 7. Pretty worrying! I’m hoping the camera will work tomorrow.

· Registered
293 Posts
I was just reading the other thread about the screen completely freezing but that was on iDrive 7. Pretty worrying!
Hopefully we have just been unlucky and the issues dont show up again plus your camera has hopefully sorted itself in the morning,if the issues I've encountered persist I'll be having it back to the dealer.

· Registered
12 Posts
If it was working just before that's probably not it then. I had this same error about a month ago (my car has ID7). I turned the car off, got out and cleaned the lens (it was filthy after a 3 hour drive in shush/snow) and when I got back in and restarted it was gone. It's more likely the car reset itself when I got out but who knows. I haven't seen the error since (or before).

· Registered
370 Posts
I think you are right and this was probably related to the stop sale in the US.
It did not get flagged for the rest of the world as it is a legal requirement for cars to have a reverse camera in the US.

Do you know what version you are on? I should think the dealers should have the ability to deploy the new version to your car to get fixed if it does not resolve by itself.

· Registered
370 Posts
I did the 07/2022.58 update in November
From what I understand it was only the iDrive 8 cars that had the stop sale, but it could also be iDrive 7 cars effected that need this update too.
I think we are looking for the November/October update that will fix this issue. I can't remember when they get released to the air update though, usually a few months after dealers get it.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I understand it was only the iDrive 8 cars that had the stop sale, but it could also be iDrive 7 cars effected that need this update too.
I think we are looking for the November/October update that will fix this issue. I can't remember when they get released to the air update though, usually a few months after dealers get it.
Will check the version in my car, perhaps we could do a comparison although assume as most the iDrive 8 cars that have come through so far were up to September builds.

· Registered
370 Posts
Yeah would be good to do a comparison as mine was built 2nd week of August.
Looks like the stop sale was lifted beginning of October however not sure if they actually got an update to the car at that point or if it was just lifted.

Also I have not had this issue yet in the first couple of months ownership and use the camera daily.

· Registered
293 Posts
Yeah would be good to do a comparison as mine was built 2nd week of August.
Looks like the stop sale was lifted beginning of October however not sure if they actually got an update to the car at that point or if it was just lifted.

Also I have not had this issue yet in the first couple of months ownership and use the camera daily.
I've had the screen go blank once when the camera should have shown up,only had the car 8 days so not good that it's already failed.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the camera worked fine this morning, then this evening I had the same issue occur again. It appears to be triggered by:
  • Put the car into reverse and camera works
  • Reverse a couple of meters
  • Put car back into drive
  • Drive forwards a few meters
  • Put the car into reverse
  • Camera failure!

I’ll be curious if anyone else can reproduce the above.

Software version is 07/2022.40

· Registered
370 Posts
So the camera worked fine this morning, then this evening I had the same issue occur again. It appears to be triggered by:
  • Put the car into reverse and camera works
  • Reverse a couple of meters
  • Put car back into drive
  • Drive forwards a few meters
  • Put the car into reverse
  • Camera failure!

I’ll be curious if anyone else can reproduce the above.

Software version is 07/2022.40
Interesting,
I feel like I must of done this before when parking but I will test and let you know.
I am on the same version too.

Have you looked to get booked in with the garage yet? Or are you going to wait it out for a OTA update.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting,
I feel like I must of done this before when parking but I will test and let you know.
I am on the same version too.

Have you looked to get booked in with the garage yet? Or are you going to wait it out for a OTA update.
I’ll see how frequently it happens and go from there. I’m not keen on my car going back a 3rd time in the space of a few weeks! I wonder if the dealers do have access to newer firmware? Looking at the posts on Bimmerpost there are new firmware versions out there but perhaps not in the UK/EU yet.

· Registered
293 Posts
I’ll see how frequently it happens and go from there. I’m not keen on my car going back a 3rd time in the space of a few weeks! I wonder if the dealers do have access to newer firmware? Looking at the posts on Bimmerpost there are new firmware versions out there but perhaps not in the UK/EU yet.
I've definitely done the reverse,drive,reverse sequence when parking with no issues like what you report,just the blank screen once.
My car was built in October so I'll check the software version when it returns from the detailer later this week.
Where do I find the software version?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts