Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if it would be a good idea to get rid of my 2016 Volkswagen Polo (in my country it's named Vento, but it's essentially a sedan Polo with a 1.6 Liter L4 engine that produces 105hp) for buying a 130i.

The obvious answer would be that it's worth it. But in terms of servicing, repairing and costs in general would be a good idea? It's worth the extra cost for the difference in performance and engine reliability?

Also, the 130i looks to have better equipement over all but we are comparing a 6 years old car with a 14 years old one.

What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance for whoever answers.

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
Not sure about how reliable the Polo is, but the 130i is solid for the segment it's in. You're still stepping up from economy chugger to hot hatch so fuel costs will invariably be higher, but it's not like stepping up to an old 911 or something. Servicing is just oil, filters, plugs etc. - no expensive belt services to worry about. The 1er is a common car and most of its parts are shared with the E9x 3 series, they aren't at all hard to find, and the aftermarket is massive.

I'd say it's 100% worth it, but I am biased :biggrin:

·
Registered
428 Posts
My opinion is much like the above

As a car enthusiast, within this price bracket, there really isn’t another car with the same fun factor and reliability as the N52 IMO.

Having said that, be prepared to spend some time and money on all the common issues/maintenance, especially at that mileage. Common things will be gaskets, bushings, belts, suspensions, waterpump, thermostat etc.

But it’s a very rewarding little car! Throw in an N54/N55 135i backbox/muffler on it and enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The 130i is great for what it is, at this age the main risk is buying one that's had no maintenance work done and you inherit the cost of replacing stuff that's getting worn out. If you're happy to do work yourself they can be cheap cars to own but expect to be replacing worn out suspension parts on top of the usual common stuff like water pumps, sticking break callipers and the common oil leaks if there's no evidence it's already been done.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It’s worth it imo if you find one with full service history and maintenance work done in terms of all the common N52 issues being addressed or one which is at a low mileage. Otherwise I don’t think it’s cheap to replace parts unless you are handy yourself, even then there is still a cost.

I am on the hunt to but I sometimes think, do people spend more time fixing these then driving the car?

Unfortunately, if you’re after the E87, the 130i surely is the only option, might not be the best on fuel but improved reliability compared to the others

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I am on the hunt to but I sometimes think, do people spend more time fixing these then driving the car?
Not really, besides wear and tear mine hasn't needed much in the time I've had it although I've done various bits and pieces through choice. A snapped front spring, 2 sticking callipers, a blown bulb frying some wiring and a air con compressor being the only failures over the years. One of my rear bearings is on the way out and is getting replaced next week. I think most owners fall in love with these cars so end up spending more than is needed to try and keep them tip top. I'll probably do front and rear suspension arms before the year's out if I've not caved and bought a m240i by that point.

Font Number Screenshot Parallel Document

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not really, besides wear and tear mine hasn't needed much in the time I've had it although I've done various bits and pieces through choice. A snapped front spring, 2 sticking callipers, a blown bulb frying some wiring and a air con compressor being the only failures over the years. One of my rear bearings is on the way out and is getting replaced next week. I think most owners fall in love with these cars so end up spending more than is needed to try and keep them tip top. I'll probably do front and rear suspension arms before the year's out if I've not caved and bought a m240i by that point.

View attachment 18135
Fair play, certainly you good folk in these parts keep the car in tip top condition, no doubt about that. You’ve taken great care of yours. How is your water pump and any of the items susceptible to leaks ? also, how are you finding filling up, but I guess depends on how you drive to as I hear these cars can be economical

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The water pump had been done not long before I bought it so I'd hope to get at least another 20k before it becomes a concern again. The only leak I have so far is the rear main seal which has been weeping since I bought it, I don't lose alot of oil so I'll live with it until it needs a clutch. I'm sure the valve cover and oil cooler gaskets will need done at some point but it's not likely to be ruinously expensive.

I get 30mpg pretty consistently which is good for what it is, my commute is mainly busy b roads and towns which drags it down but longer motorway runs every few weekends that drag it back up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts