Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a 118d M Sport for just over 3 weeks and I find the build quality to be absolutely shocking. It has the window squeek problem from all doors plus numerous rattles with a new one seeming to materialise every time I drive it. Feel totally disappointed and let down by what is sold as a premium car. My last car (Golf Mk5 GT TDi) was much more solid with better build quality. The passenger window started rattling today and there is a really annoying rattle right next to my head in the panel where the seat belt is. Go over a bump and the whole bloody thing rattles from front to back. Turn the heating on and all you can hear is the dash groaning and creaking as the plastic expands.

I am going to the BMW dealer with the probs but what will they do ? Strip it and re-fit everything properly ? I doubt it !!!!

Wish i'd got an Audi A3 or another Golf.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I would agree that VAG build quality is marginally better but you do seem to have got a bad one with the majority on here not having any issues. Saying that I know someone with an A3 who has loads of reattles so i guess its luck of the draw.

Check the squeek and rattle threads on the forum and go armed with some info as some dealers are aware of certain issues and have robust fixes for them.

Hope you get this sorted.

·
Registered
693 Posts
BigFella said:
Had a 118d M Sport for just over 3 weeks and I find the build quality to be absolutely shocking. It has the window squeek problem from all doors plus numerous rattles with a new one seeming to materialise every time I drive it. Feel totally disappointed and let down by what is sold as a premium car. My last car (Golf Mk5 GT TDi) was much more solid with better build quality. The passenger window started rattling today and there is a really annoying rattle right next to my head in the panel where the seat belt is. Go over a bump and the whole bloody thing rattles from front to back. Turn the heating on and all you can hear is the dash groaning and creaking as the plastic expands.

I am going to the BMW dealer with the probs but what will they do ? Strip it and re-fit everything properly ? I doubt it !!!!

Wish i'd got an Audi A3 or another Golf.
Sadly all the noises you hear come from the door strips a 1 series fault from the outset, is easily cured yourself by cleaning and dressing the seals. Agree is not good I like quite a few other have no such creaks or rattles, although after a long period of bad weather I get the useual creaks and groans from the door seals meaning time to clean and dress them again.

Get it back to the dealer and I hope you get it sorted, in any make their are some good ones and some lemons :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bollocks!!!!!!! Sounds like I got a stinker then!! The one I test drove didn't rattle and one of my colleagues has a 120d with no rattles either - why me !!!!!!!!!

Great site by the way.

The BMW dealer said a technician will come out with me to listen to the symphony of rattles and squeeks so I just hope I don't get there and it all stops!! Anyway, i'll update on here when i've been.

I tried the rubber fix by cleaning them with Autoglym rubber and vinyl cleaner then applying a silicone lube but only did the drivers door as it rained but it did seem to ease the noise.

Done 1000 miles but the mpg is only 45.3 - will i get better ?

Hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm now I think about it there is also a blemish on the bonnet and a mark on the rear seat so I will mention those things aswell. Maybe they'll apologise, take my car and give me a new 123d m sport in its place with every option known to man !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
BigFella said:
Hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm now I think about it there is also a blemish on the bonnet and a mark on the rear seat so I will mention those things aswell. Maybe they'll apologise, take my car and give me a new 123d m sport in its place with every option known to man !!!!!!!!
Worth a try I guess :mrgreen:

Just make a list of the items you are not happy with and let them deal with it.

In regards to the blemish, I would seek advice before alowing the dealer to attack it with a buffer, get a quote from a detailer and get the dealer to pay the bill, on past experience (not BMW by the way, the paint comes back worse than when it went in!)

MPG should improve over time IMO

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Point taken about your golf but the BMW is supposed to be the 'premium product' which in my case it clearly isn't. How or why is it acceptable to have to clean all the rubbers and apply lubricant to them on a new (prestige) car? for example?? BMW trade on repuation and prestige and perceived quality but in my case thats far off the mark. My experience of main dealers is you go in with one problem and come out with another so I don't hold out much hope of them sorting it out!!!!
I do like the car though and the way it drives and the cabin design/layout but the quality of the build is poor.
Still wish i'd got an A3 or another Golf or even a Leaon but nothing I can do now!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm genuinely shocked that your cars build is below par.

I am a "very, very particular" customer who would normally sell my car rather than take it to a dealer for rectification but I have had no cause to complain about the two BMW dealers I use - Blue Bell, Wilmslow & Halliwell Jones, Warrington, although I'd never use the garage that is closest to me (Williams, Liverpool). In short if you have a problem try another garage.

I'm sure people here can recommend someone in your area.

Who was your supplying dealer?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I want to start by saying, "I love my 123d coupe" just to ensure that whatever else I say is taken in context.

1). My seat squeaks but only in one particular position.
2). The paint job is terrible. There is no other way of putting it. It is like a great big blue orange! I would never have noticed if it wasn't for the fantastic guy from sportcarprotection who detailed the car and pointed the "orange peel" effect out. Now it is all I can see!
3). It arrived covered in small scratches. (Again, thanks to sportscarprotection for that insight!)
4). The software goes wrong too often. The other day the microphone stopped working completely until I left the car for about 15 minutes and then it stared working again!
5). The expensive, top end hi-fi is disappointing to say the least.
6). The plastic end cap on the passenger side seat rail keeps failing off. Small defect but very annoying.
7). The software goes wrong too often. (Yes I know I've mentioned it already but it is such an annoying point I thought it was worth mentioning twice!)
8). iDrive in general just scrapes past the acceptable point.

But now I've raised these points I want to come back to my first...
When it comes to driving fun then it hits every mark. I really do find myself talking the long way to destinations. That to me says far more than the list of "oportunities" mentioned above. (Yes I work in the software industry, a bug is considered to be an "oportunity for improvement!").

Don't get me wrong, for the £30K+ I paid for this car, those snags should not be there. But... they only soak up a portion of that figure. A lot of that cost has gone into making this car a fantastic drive and for me this is what I decided to pay for.

PS that and the 45 - 70 mpg I regularly achieve!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
On the MPG front it will improve.
My 120D just gave me over 53mpg and 600miles to a tank on a series of long 70mph motorway runs & mines a pre facelift. Yours should manage this easily if driven in the appropriate manner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder if the build quality is better on the home market (Germany) I suppose we will never know you know the old scenario the British will accept most anything and do not complain too much.
Just my thoughts on the subject as I have had troubles with mine, and the two VW Golf's I had before were not perfect: on the first I had trouble with the central locking (rectified under warranty) and a blown turbo on the second one before I changed to a 1er again rectified under warranty.
The Golf was a superb car for the price but I have to agree with all, the BMW looks superb and the cabin layout is great but most of all the drive is excellent.

tc

·
Registered
776 Posts
So is mine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A familiar story. Mine is facelift and poor build. Lots of rattles and squeaks. Very disappointing for the high price. My experience is that dealers are poorly equipped to sort these problems and could damage while failing to sort the problems. Reject the car, or grin and bear the noise I'd say.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No complaints with the build quality of my 1er, very happy - all is very solid and the doors close with a satisfying 'clunk', which is what I like

·
Registered
6 Posts
ajwhitlock said:
I want to start by saying, "I love my 123d coupe" just to ensure that whatever else I say is taken in context.

1). My seat squeaks but only in one particular position.
2). The paint job is terrible. There is no other way of putting it. It is like a great big blue orange! I would never have noticed if it wasn't for the fantastic guy from sportcarprotection who detailed the car and pointed the "orange peel" effect out. Now it is all I can see!
3). It arrived covered in small scratches. (Again, thanks to sportscarprotection for that insight!)
4). The software goes wrong too often. The other day the microphone stopped working completely until I left the car for about 15 minutes and then it stared working again!
5). The expensive, top end hi-fi is disappointing to say the least.
6). The plastic end cap on the passenger side seat rail keeps failing off. Small defect but very annoying.
7). The software goes wrong too often. (Yes I know I've mentioned it already but it is such an annoying point I thought it was worth mentioning twice!)
8). iDrive in general just scrapes past the acceptable point.

But now I've raised these points I want to come back to my first...
When it comes to driving fun then it hits every mark. I really do find myself talking the long way to destinations. That to me says far more than the list of "oportunities" mentioned above. (Yes I work in the software industry, a bug is considered to be an "oportunity for improvement!").

Don't get me wrong, for the £30K+ I paid for this car, those snags should not be there. But... they only soak up a portion of that figure. A lot of that cost has gone into making this car a fantastic drive and for me this is what I decided to pay for.

PS that and the 45 - 70 mpg I regularly achieve!!!
Arse, another person who doesn't rate the tope end Hi-fi. I'm starting to worry about how disapointed I will be when I finally get the car and test it out.

AJ, I assume you have the Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP and top speaker upgrade?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Everything is subjective to peoples aspirations and what they expect. I have had 3 1er's with no quality issues 3 minor faults. Two on the 120d Faulty Key Casette and Door Seal squeak both sorted. 116i was spot on and 118d needed the boot adjusting slighty as was creaking when I got it but nothing since.

Expectations are higher on a BMW because of the price you pay for the product however you get ones that have been fitted together badly (human factor) or part's not quite up to standard. It is a complex machine that lives in a harsh enviroment and does take abuse. But anything mechanical will and does fail :cry:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Mine is tip top......... :D no probs after being 1 year old, well yet.

I agree with Jezy G, cos we paid more than a VW/ford we expect nothing to go wrong, how wrong is that.

People that buy, for example a Renault R26 know that the quality is poor and so are the dealers but they love the car for what it is.

We should do the same :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.