Baby BMW Forum banner

Bridgestone tyres - safety check

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  pje16 
#1 ·
Thought I’d repost this from the ‘Tread wearing out thread’ to make it more visible.

Had 4 x new PZero’s fitted just now in my M135i.

However, on removal of the front BS’s both had large splits (3-4”) on the sidewalls that were on the inner of the tyre so not visible normally.
Guy doing the tyres says he sees it alot with BS, so anyone with BS check the inners particularly on the fronts where the weight is as I was lucky they hadn’t let go!!!!

Reactions: Estoril240
#3 ·
Er, ok then. With respect how many tyres do you think BS sell worldwide and how many reports are there about sidewall splits appearing from normal use?
Yet one guy states he's seem alot...

#4 ·
Maybe what I’m trying to say is that if this problem occurs it’s mainly on a BS tyre.
Look, just trying to make people aware of a potential safety issue (among others) with the BS tyre especially on the M135i.
As both of my tyres had the issue I thought that pretty damning.

Reactions: noodels
#5 ·
Which is fine, but it needs to also be put into perspective and not to panic everyone. Plus not damm one manufacturer over a isolated case where the defect has not been properly examined to find a possible cause.

Tyres should be checked once a month anyway and specifically before a long run, although this is a habit younger drivers probably don't possess these days..

Reactions: Estoril240
#6 ·
I dont think anyone is going to be in a panic to rush out and check their tyres instantly upon reading the post, it's just something to bare in mind and check when possible particularly if they have a number of K miles on the set.

Anyway, who checks the inner sidewalls of their tyres every month or practically ever? Barely anyone. And I'm 46, hardly a new driver! Even my time served mechanic Dad doesn't.

Reactions: Marshy
#8 ·
Car isn’t driven over speed bumps or anything else similar on any sort of regular basis eg they aren’t on any road near me.
Never had this in ~30 years of driving.

#10 ·
I have never had it in 40+ years of driving
Google it and most manufacturers have something top say about it, which surprised me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.