Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Are there any companies in the uk that could change the boot struts so the boot opens higher when using the key fob?
I'm guessing that the lift on your boot is dependant on the hinges, not the struts. Undo the struts and see if the lid can move higher, if so (and you don't destroy any wiring), get longer struts.

Reactions: nazali

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Are there any companies in the uk that could change the boot struts so the boot opens higher when using the key fob?
Do you mean you want the boot to open wider than it currently can, or are you just wanting it to open fully when you unlock it with the key fob?

If it's the later, try these guys:

Emerald Struts - Automatic Boot Mods

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts

·
Super Moderator
348 Posts
Having read that thread I’d say it’s about evens for & against
Perhaps for some. But for me, the risk of causing malalignment of the bootlid is one not worth taking. Coupled with a subpar customer service experience, it was a no-go for me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Having read that thread I’d say it’s about evens for & against
Unrelated to using the struts on a BM, I've heard similar stories for other cars (Fords mostly but only because my "play toy" is a Ford). Broken glass is one and also the springs going soft and becoming useless pretty quickly. Their bonnet struts (older designs at least) don't seem to fit well and end up wrecking engine bay trims around the mount points.

The idea is excellent - just not 100% convinced their implementation is bang on - do miss a power opening boot so can see the attraction for the 240i!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Hi invisible, I can't remember, I will have a search tomorrow, thing is, I was looking at doing the mod but reviews put me off.
Ignore me, seems the customer service is ****e not the product.

I was looking at them for my E91 some 8 years ago, not sure what put me off then?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Perhaps for some. But for me, the risk of causing malalignment of the bootlid is one not worth taking. Coupled with a subpar customer service experience, it was a no-go for me.
I wonder how many of the 'issues' were caused by poor / incorrect installation? The instructions on the Emerald Struts website do sound a bit fiddly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They were awful on my s3. Didn’t work unless it was a warm day. Made it very difficult to close the boot. They also put so much pressure on the boot lid it often didn’t sit square when it closed as it was being pushed by the pressure of the struts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts