Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a professional headunit off ebay last week. Had no idea if it was compatible and despite contacting the seller he didn't really give much away about the condition of it. But i got it for £50 in the end so quite a bargain i thought.

Turned up at work a few days later. Completely scratch and mark free but absolutely filthy! covered in orange dust and all the buttons were gritty. Didn't really fancy fitting it in this state into my 1 month old car. Ended up stripping the thing completely. Took the front panel off and cleaned every single button / control separately. The orange dust was actually rust coming from the metal bezel around the lcd display so removed all of that. re-treated every single piece of plastic, re-assembled and 2 hours later i had a headunit which looked and felt brand spanking new 8)

Removed the Business unit within about 2 mins without damaging anything. (actually used a PC-blanking plate with a slight bend on the end to remove the aircon + panel bellow). Professional unit plugged straight in and worked fine (i'd actually tested it before cleaning it up).

I can now play MP3's (have to say, the way you browse and view ID tags is brilliant) and access the computer functions.

One thing though.... this unit isn't as loud as my business unit. I've done tests with the same 'original' CD and proved its true. The business unit drives the bass speakers under the chair really hard and literally shakes my floor pan, but the professional unit doesn't. It's not a show stopper and is plenty loud enough but just can't seem to work the speakers as hard. I found this a little odd as i would only have expected it to be louder. Its got a big black heat sink on the side where as the business unit hasn't. The business unit was date stamped "July 07" and the professional is "Aug 05" maybe they improved the power output on later models?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just bought a new one (Professional) off Ebay last night, and waiting to get it delivered.
Fitted HiFi-speakers and an Infinity Basslink yesterday, which was a great improvement! :band:

·
Registered
69 Posts
One_rus said:
I bought Prof headunit from ebay (seller from Poland) recently, just got a message from postal about delivering a parcel today. Hope everything will be ok, and I install headunit tomorrow
Are there any problems with buying one from abroad? For example do they all have the same radio frequency range and are there any language differences for the text on the buttons and on the display?

·
Registered
34 Posts
henrymitchell said:
One_rus said:
I bought Prof headunit from ebay (seller from Poland) recently, just got a message from postal about delivering a parcel today. Hope everything will be ok, and I install headunit tomorrow
Are there any problems with buying one from abroad? For example do they all have the same radio frequency range and are there any language differences for the text on the buttons and on the display?
No. this is usual english-speaking headunit, new condition. it costs me about 220 Euro

·
Registered
3 Posts
is it just a straight replacement the proffesional from the business unit. anything complicated?, i have the chance of getting one for 220 euros but dont want to buy if its difficult to fit

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Pro unit is a plug and play replacement for the Business unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks, last question, what are the ipod options for connection on the pro unit?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
SCOMIL said:
thanks, last question, what are the ipod options for connection on the pro unit?
1) Get the USB option fitted from factory (no retro fit available, yet)
2) Use the AUX socket under the armrest (control iPod yourself, not from the HU)
3) Use a device like an iTrip and control the iPod yourself

I'd just use the AUX socket if it was me, although that does run the risk of a fine and maybe points if caught by the plod - driving without due care and attention!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aevans,

Do you have a FL or pre-FL car?

What kind of professional radio do you have? THe one with the chrome ring (FL one), or the older one?

I'm asking as I also wish to swap my business unit - but I can see, that the FL radio has holes under the unit and not on the sides? Can anyone confirm it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.... and i'm the other way round. I have a Facelift Car (57). I swapped the business headunit (with chrome ring) with a pre-facelift unit. I felt kinda guilty putting something in my car which was old, but i've kept the business which i'll put back in when i sell it i think.

the pre-facelift unit fitted perfectly. Only differences i can see are the chrome ring around the controls and the brackets with the holes in are metal.

One_rus..... did you find the new unit to be louder or quieter than your original?

·
Registered
34 Posts
aevans said:
One_rus..... did you find the new unit to be louder or quieter than your original?
i had Business headunit before. It sounds bad, not louder or quieter, simply bad, without needed control of bass, treble and other sound options. Professional headunit plays more "softly", with a good control of bass and treble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One_rus said:
It sounds bad, not louder or quieter, simply bad, without needed control of bass, treble and other sound options. Professional headunit plays more "softly", with a good control of bass and treble.
:?:

I can adjust treble, bass, fader and balance with my Business CD. Hoping to get my Pro Unit this week though....

·
Registered
34 Posts
jakobtw said:
One_rus said:
It sounds bad, not louder or quieter, simply bad, without needed control of bass, treble and other sound options. Professional headunit plays more "softly", with a good control of bass and treble.
:?:

I can adjust treble, bass, fader and balance with my Business CD. Hoping to get my Pro Unit this week though....
Yes, you can. But step of controlling is big. Its really have a 5 steps from 0 level to max. Prof headunit have 10 steps from 0 to max. And even you set bass level to max in your Business headunit, you can't listen so much bass, that will be in Professional headunit. I think, this is because internal amplifier in Business is worse that in Prof headunit.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.