Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anyone had one of these and wanted to sell? Either the aluminium or Carbon Fibre version. I have cash waiting and happy to pay good money.

It is only the BMW Performance strut brace I am interested in. I have an Ultra Racing one on my 135i and it is probably a better strut brace in terms of function but am specifically looking for a Performance one due to the connection design to the strut tower and lack of tread on my drivers side top mounts.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Whatever JonWilli is paying, I'll up it by a tenner. :lol:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MED said:
Whatever JonWilli is paying, I'll up it by a tenner. :lol:
:lol: :lol: There are lots of better designed strut braces out there for less money than the BMWP one if you want one. Only reason I want a BMWP one is it connects differently to most other aftermarket ones which will work better with my set up. I have put a shim under the drivers side top mount to balance out the front ride heights so have less thread to work with. The BMWP only uses one of the three top mount studs and the big torx bolt that the diagonal brace connects to.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Got it...
Do you reckon that's by design or just becuase BMW actually made a piece for show rather than go ?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure it helps but by how much is probably debatable! I think best design is fully welded, straight from tower to tower, no bends and uses all available mounting points. The Ultra Racing one I have is welded steel, uses two of the three studs to mount but does have a bend to clear the washer bottle and oil filler cap. I reckon it is a pretty good compromise, not too heavy and it feels very rigid.

I will see what I think of the BMWP one when I get hold of one. There are a few members who have had one fitted in the past and reckon they help the front end. From a design point of view they look pretty small section to my eyes, Aluminium and have a continuous bend. I would think the forces it can transfer are limited before it bends or flexes? Anyhow it is my only option unless I buy some new springs which I don't really want to do and Birds don't list their springs separately these days.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nyxeris said:
If you knock out the studs in the top mounts you could use off the shelf nuts and bolts to pinch them to the tower, could work out cheaper than a BMWP brace although the carbon one would suit your intake nicely!
I have some of the Tyrannt's camber plates fitted for can't to that unfortunately. I did think about asking him to make a set with some longer studs but the cost of the camber plates, plus another alignment and a cheaper strut brace would add up to more than the BMWP brace! I guess when I get new springs I can always sell a BMWP strut brace for similar money to what I buy one for. To be honest it is only the Aluminium one I am really interested in. I imagine the Carbon ones sell for big money these days (£600+??) and do very little other than look nice!

·
Registered
376 Posts
jonwilli said:
I have put a shim under the drivers side top mount to balance out the front ride heights so have less thread to work with.
Could you get the 'top hat' style extended nuts that I have on 1M/M3 brace? They reach down for the studs from the clamping surface. Normally you only need 1 x D for thread engagement on steel anyway, so 8mm, but more is always more. I can check the O/D of the extended bit if you'd like?
Part number: 31 31 6 769 731

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CalvinNismo said:
Could you get the 'top hat' style extended nuts that I have on 1M/M3 brace? They reach down for the studs from the clamping surface. Normally you only need 1 x D for thread engagement on steel anyway, so 8mm, but more is always more. I can check the O/D of the extended bit if you'd like?
Part number: 31 31 6 769 731
Thanks for the heads up. I had a look at photos of this part number and it looks the same as the nuts already on my 130 (and old E87 and E82). I think I have sourced a BMWP brace so hopefully have a solution. Not cheap for what it is but hopefully all BMWP parts will hold their value these days now they are discontinued...

·
Registered
902 Posts
jonwilli said:
Thanks for the heads up. I had a look at photos of this part number and it looks the same as the nuts already on my 130 (and old E87 and E82). I think I have sourced a BMWP brace so hopefully have a solution. Not cheap for what it is but hopefully all BMWP parts will hold their value these days now they are discontinued...
I assume a private seller?
Do they have another :lol: :lol: ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
jonwilli said:
Apologies, I told you the wrong part number! My bad.

Part number: 51 71 7 895 241

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
jonwilli said:
...I have an Ultra Racing one on my 135i...
As a matter of interest have you tried to fit the UR bar to the 130? They don't list them as compatible and I'm wondering if there's a clearance issue.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
M3AN said:
As a matter of interest have you tried to fit the UR bar to the 130? They don't list them as compatible and I'm wondering if there's a clearance issue.
Yeah it fits fine. I used to have it fitted to my 130i before I installed the M3 arms, camber plates etc. I am sure there is a photo of it installed somewhere on my build thread.

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Quick note for anyone looking for a BMWP brace.

Managed to find the original install PDF. The torque specs are 35nm for the M8 nuts, and 52nm for the M10 bolts. All fixings must be nipped up in normal operating position - i.e. car flat on its wheels.

The instructions also state that none of the fittings (original or new) can be reused. The existing fittings are not the correct parts, and the new ones all either self-locking or pre-loctited which is probably why. That said, I came across a few threads on other forums about those nuts being fond of cracking () so it may be worth inspecting them very closely if you get them with the brace. Apparently this is often caused by lifting the car with the brace connected, so breaking loose the 4 M8 nuts that connect the centre part to the mounts before lifting the car so that the brace isn't under stress is a very good idea.

Parts required for fitting (thanks to the gents above for a couple of these) as shown on the PDF are as follows:

Code:
Description		Supp.		Part Number	Qty	RRP Each	Total
Hex nut			M8-8-ZNS3	51717895241	2	£8.83		£17.66
Self-locking collar nut	M8-8-ZNS3	31316769731	4	£1.22		£4.88
Torx bolt		M10X16-10.9-	07146963730	2	£1.91		£3.82
Cap					51717896829	6	£3.24		£19.44
So £45.80 + postage :shock: Obviously check with Cotswold/your local dealership because these RRPs are a bit silly, but it's probably worth factoring the top 3 into the cost of the brace. I bought those, but I'm far too tight to pay £20 for 6 tiny plastic caps. They're a proprietary design and even pricier from the OEM (Bossmobil), so I just paid £2.79 for a bulk pack of standard caps from fleabay and trimmed them down. Not identical looking but better than bare bolts and at the end of the day this brace is mostly bling so it had to be done lol.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Excellent investigations and write up..
Thanks.
I assume then that just removing the brace for some work inside the engine bay means new nuts.. Ouch..!
I could imagine some stress caused by jacking the car from 1 corner, but surely that's what it' sdesigned to do .. Take that stress? :lol:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Can somebody confirm... strut brace will/not fit if you've done the camber pin mod?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MED said:
Excellent investigations and write up..
Thanks.
I assume then that just removing the brace for some work inside the engine bay means new nuts.. Ouch..!
I could imagine some stress caused by jacking the car from 1 corner, but surely that's what it' sdesigned to do .. Take that stress? :lol:
If I am honest I can't see me replacing every nut and bolts every time I remove, just visually inspect them. If they do fail its not like it will cause any issue. Will remember to undo the brace if I am jacking the car, that seems sensible.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts