Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought i would let you guys know about this item, just fitted this to my 130i m sport it is a replacement intake airbox lid and sport filter which looks identical to a direct fit replacement k&n filter!!! all you do is remove the original lid replace the filter for the new one replace the existing ram air intake at the front for the new item which is slightly larger and is really carbon fibre as others have said its not? then also fit a small part of plastic trim which directs air from the bulkhead area into the box and fit the new lid job done! me too by my local bmw stealer or so i thought? just come back from a good test drive and i cannot belive the difference it seems to rev quicker spins up smoother and sounds very nice!! not too loud and not induction cone filter boy racer style noise either, which im really happy about, it just sounds good fits well and was cheaper than a gruppe m item! cost me £400 inc vat going to give it a run to the lake district at the wk end to run in the filter then get it onto my mates dyno next wk to see if it really has made a difference the car made 272 bhp at the flywheel before fitting with the bmw performance exhaust fitted so will be nice to see how it goes i does seem torqier than before, my only concern is, will the maf sensor be affected by the filter? as it is an oiled type gauze filter identical to a k&n i guess not as it has been supplied by bmw?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Rich,

Have you got the performane parts list on a white board and slowly ticking them off :D You seem to be putting together a very nice machine mate. Sounds like the filter is doing its job well. You got any pics yet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do some pics when i get the chance mate i think im going to stop the mods for a while now credit crunch and all that? ha ha :lol: im thinking of getting my ac schnitzer type 111 alloys refurbed in black chrome effect like m5/ m3 wheels dunno yet tho what do you think? you need the filter for yours mate it does look cool fitted 8)

·
Registered
172 Posts
130i m rich said:
will the maf sensor be affected by the filter? as it is an oiled type gauze filter identical to a k&n i guess not as it has been supplied by bmw?
The only thing I have heard is that over time the oil can seep through and coat the maf sensor which can nob things up a bit, so keep us informed!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very interesting that it doesn't change the air box, just the lid, filter and feeding pipes...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
130i m rich said:
will do some pics when i get the chance mate i think im going to stop the mods for a while now credit crunch and all that? ha ha :lol: im thinking of getting my ac schnitzer type 111 alloys refurbed in black chrome effect like m5/ m3 wheels dunno yet tho what do you think? you need the filter for yours mate it does look cool fitted 8)
Blsck chrome you say...........hell yeah. That would look stunning mate. Would the filter fit mine?? Guessed they would be different.

preppeller.... I have herd that but surley BMW wouldn't use it if it caused problems?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Would a BMC be better than a K&N then? So wonder what makes this Performance part much better than standard. As I have herd that replacing the panel filter doesn't make much of a difference. But the cold air feed is what you need.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i forgot to sat the replacement lid is actually larger to accomodate for the extra intake to to wiper/bulkhead area, also the new lid is compleatly smooth on the inside where the existing one had moulded veins in it, on the filter side of things i cant see why you couldnt fit any aftermarket filter element ie, bmc-k&n-ramair etc would be interesting to see if it performed better with one of those? but im happy with it looking forward to the lakes run :twisted:

·
Registered
406 Posts
In certain cars yes they can make a big difference. I wouldn't put one in a BMW as they are the oiled 'wet type' filter which have been known to cause problems with Air Mass Meters. There probably are people have fitted them without problems too. Or at least haven't noticed any problems yet at any rate. The makers seem to say that as long as they are not over oiled they would be fine though.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as far as i can see the performance filter element is a k&n just got back from a very wet weekend in the lake district and the performance intake has performed well!! it seems to rev up quicker, pulls harder and sounds really good! i would definatly recommend one for a 130i going to give it a run on the dyno sometime this week to see if any real gains have been made? but so far im a happy bunny :mrgreen:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like the DIY upgrade I did to my CTR when i had one.......

Basically if you remove all the ridges and lips from the inside of the air box and the lid, it creates more air flow in the air box. We did this by cuting out plastic ridges and sanding the inside down until smooth. Therefore the more air in the air box, the more air that can be sucked into the filter...
In doing this mod there is no problem with heatsoak to performance filters which can lower BHP.
On they have a thread on how to do this (ALTHO CANT FIND IT :oops: ). Also works best with an upgrade panel filter. i.e K&N or Green etc..

Gains are actually noticeable, also getting a small, altho very small induction noise.

Although it seems a bit Crap it actually does work!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
2 Posts
can you post part number and where to buy please? I live in Cyprus and so getting bits isnt easy. I would have to order from abroad.

SO this would be a more sensible option than the KN induction kit which i hear causes sensor problems...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i know what you mean blingo if you bought a replacement k&n filter element and smoothed off the inside of the air box lid it could make some gains yet the performance intake into the box is bigger as well thats the carbon bit with bmw performance written on it so as i can see bmw have done their research,and remember the 130 has more power than the 330i with the same engine due to the airbox set up :wink:

·
Registered
311 Posts
130i m rich said:
...remember the 130 has more power than the 330i with the same engine due to the airbox set up :wink:
Didn't know that was why. I'll have a closer look at it.

£400 seems alot for a new airbox, although it is interesting that you can feel the difference. Unless the OE system was deliberately restrictive, which is unlikely on the 130, I wouldn't have expected it to be worth messing with from a performance viewpoint.

I fancy the exhaust system tbh (hope Santa's listening... :kiss: ), but for the noise rather than the small power difference. 8)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well blingo i have both fitted to my 130i m sport exhaust and intake now and i can tell the difference! going on dyno this wk end so will take some pics and report back ok evo glynn :mrgreen: by the way would you still like those carbon splitters i have? drop me a p.m glynn and you can have em cheap :shock:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.