Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this really soft or at least the lacquer every time a bird dumps on it it etches the lacquer even if removed with in 30 Minutes . Is there some product i can put on to stop this .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally not encountered any etching but I am removing aerial detritus within a couple of days of it landing - perhaps you need to consider a decent wax - Collinite 476 is very hardwearing although Meguiars NXT2 is my preferred choice at the moment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same problem too. Went away for business and 10 days later returned to a few spots of bird poo. Nothing too bad as most had been watered down by the rain. However, cleaning the car yesterday revealed 3 bad areas where the laquer has been damaged. The car is only 6 weeks old and had a coat of Collinite 476 applied on the day I picked it up in mid-May. The crap has managed to eat through the Collinite, the BMW wax and into the laquer. Is there anything I can do to minimise this or do I need to get it to a paintshop? I re-applied another coat of Collinite again yesterday but I fear that the horse has already bolted.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This has happened to me a couple of times. I've used Carplan T-cut color fast, which is T-cut with black polish. It's worked a treat on my car...BUT

There is a disclaimer on the back of the bottle saying that this product should NOT be used on new, cracked or crazed paintwork.

As your car is only 6 weeks old, i'm not sure whether your car is too new... maybe someone on this forum would be able to advise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a Renault Clio before this and never had a problem with bird poo even if left on for days . have ordered some duragloss 111 and 105 to seal it hopefully this will work .

·
Registered
1 Posts
gg8tcw said:
This has happened to me a couple of times. I've used Carplan T-cut color fast, which is T-cut with black polish. It's worked a treat on my car...BUT

There is a disclaimer on the back of the bottle saying that this product should NOT be used on new, cracked or crazed paintwork.

As your car is only 6 weeks old, i'm not sure whether your car is too new... maybe someone on this forum would be able to advise.
I think the term "new" here refers to the newly painted car ,, six weeks is not new I think

·
Registered
693 Posts
It's all about neutralizing the acid as even when removed can still etch the paint, dodo juice is a good neutralizer as Supagard bird lime neutralizer thier are a couple others on the market

I would recomend having done a paint seal such as silver shield or supagard (diamond bright is a pain to do and keep on!!) apllied. Best advice is to buy it yourself off ebay £5 ish and apply yourself no different to applying wax!!! Will give an extra layer of protection as well as making it harder for the bird poo to stick. Then a good coat of any canubra wax, Zymol, Meg's ect will add an extra layer of protection as well as giving a greater deeper shine.

Done the above myself and results are stunning no more etching from bird poo dirt does not stick so easily either so car stay's cleaner longer that includes using it on the alloys, they now get less brake dust stuck on which is also easier to remove!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.