Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow M135i owners - new to this forum as only picked up my 2016 model a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. Just wanted to ask if any of you have considered an extended warranty. Mine came with a 3 month warranty so I’m ok for now but not sure what to do in October when I’m out of warranty. Some say not worth it while others say probably a good idea. Motoreasy quoting me £400 for 15 months warranty but they seem very pushy and worried if I ever do need them, they’ll find reasons not to pay costs if things go wrong - also heard water pump can go wrong with these and that can be costly. By the way getting around 20mpg with an occasional heavy foot - is that normal - lol

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Hello fellow M135i owners - new to this forum as only picked up my 2016 model a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. Just wanted to ask if any of you have considered an extended warranty. Mine came with a 3 month warranty so I’m ok for now but not sure what to do in October when I’m out of warranty. Some say not worth it while others say probably a good idea. Motoreasy quoting me £400 for 15 months warranty but they seem very pushy and worried if I ever do need them, they’ll find reasons not to pay costs if things go wrong - also heard water pump can go wrong with these and that can be costly. By the way getting around 20mpg with an occasional heavy foot - is that normal - lol
Wouldn't be without my BMW extended warranty, has got me out of the poo several times with recovery added. Accident claim help is first class.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have a 2016 M235i and have taken out the BMW extended warranty. Not surprisingly, past the 40K miles point the car starts to become prone to various component fails. This isn't anything to do with this particular model - it's the same for all vehicles. You can do preventive maintenance - things like replacing the charge pipe (£700), getting an oil service every 10K (£150?), replacing the radiator top hose (£100?), replacing the diff oil, etc. so you have to balance the annual warranty cost against these, if you're thinking of keeping the car for any length of time. Worst case scenario is an engine replacement (~£14K) and next to that a transmission replacement (£8K?).

I understand the self-insurance strategy and do it myself - for sub-£5K items. Over 40 years, the money I've saved by not extending cover for TVs, dishwashers, PCs, laptops, furniture etc. has more than paid for the odd early failure. But there's a level above which this isn't sensible: no one fails to take out home buildings insurance because the consequence of a problem are potentially cripplingly expensive. Yes, the probability is low, but the consequences are severe. so you just factor in the cost of cover to the lifetime cost of ownership.

You have to decide whether your vehicle fits into the 'too important to leave it to chance' category. And of course, the decision is affected by mileage and usage and how long you intend to keep the car (in my case, it's a keeper, so this biases me towards extending the warranty - the same may not apply to you).

FYI here's a chart I did after scanning the preventive maintenance recommendations for the MLites across various UK and US forums:

Again, don't let this put you off your choice of vehicle. There's a chart like this for every car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have taken the extended warranty out yes circa 400 pounds ...but if something big fails engine gearbox its hell of expensive job to put right ...and yes plenty of second hand gear boxes engines available but what hassle that would be ....to fit your self ...even if you have the facilities to do it ...it would be a real pain ...and time ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone who has replied to my thread - it’s very much appreciated. A lot to ponder here - I’m edging towards a BMW extended warranty at the moment - although a little more expensive, I think it might be a better option if I need to claim which I hope I don’t - only concern is I looked on their website and I think it said they need evidence of repairs / maintenance etc but all my details are kept on the Idrive and I have no paperwork for the service . I have also noticed one of the services was missed at 30k but then the previous owner did this at 36k instead - hope this isn’t a problem!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2016 M235i and have taken out the BMW extended warranty. Not surprisingly, past the 40K miles point the car starts to become prone to various component fails. This isn't anything to do with this particular model - it's the same for all vehicles. You can do preventive maintenance - things like replacing the charge pipe (£700), getting an oil service every 10K (£150?), replacing the radiator top hose (£100?), replacing the diff oil, etc. so you have to balance the annual warranty cost against these, if you're thinking of keeping the car for any length of time. Worst case scenario is an engine replacement (~£14K) and next to that a transmission replacement (£8K?).

I understand the self-insurance strategy and do it myself - for sub-£5K items. Over 40 years, the money I've saved by not extending cover for TVs, dishwashers, PCs, laptops, furniture etc. has more than paid for the odd early failure. But there's a level above which this isn't sensible: no one fails to take out home buildings insurance because the consequence of a problem are potentially cripplingly expensive. Yes, the probability is low, but the consequences are severe. so you just factor in the cost of cover to the lifetime cost of ownership.

You have to decide whether your vehicle fits into the 'too important to leave it to chance' category. And of course, the decision is affected by mileage and usage and how long you intend to keep the car (in my case, it's a keeper, so this biases me towards extending the warranty - the same may not apply to you).

FYI here's a chart I did after scanning the preventive maintenance recommendations for the MLites across various UK and US forums:

Again, don't let this put you off your choice of vehicle. There's a chart like this for every car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have extended the BMW warranty each year on my 2014 M135 for about £460 pa which includes breakdown assistance.

I a few years something was required and i recouped most of the cost, like an injector failure, tpms receiver failure spring to mind.

A little disappointed to find the common rocker cover leak was not covered, as oil leaks are explicitly excluded.

I’ll probably still extend next year as these are complex drivetrains.
Rob.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
As an example, here’s a thread on this forum from someone with an M140i from new, unmodded, FSH, 35,000 miles needing a new engine out of warranty. Around £14K just for the engine, plus £2K for exploratory work, plus labour.

yes, this isn’t the same engine as yours, but it makes the point.

As mentioned, you do need to clearly understand the preconditions and exceptions: on mine BMW cover the dealer retro-fitted BMW M Performance LSD, but a competitor policy didn’t ( only clear from the small print). And many won’t cover DIY preventive maintenance e,g, replacing the charge pipe with a 3rd-party version. In a way an extended warranty is mutually exclusive with preventive maintenance of the sort listed in the chart.

Another exception with the BMW policy are coolant hoses, which implies that as long as you used the right BMW part, it might still be worth replacing the overflow hose at the recommended mileage, as long as it wasn’t obvious on inspection. If you do a higher mileage then it might be worth doing an unrecorded oil and filter change every 10K miles independently, but you’d have to be absolutely certain that you used genuine BMW parts, didn’t update the service record, and that the work wasn’t detectable on inspection.

Finally, you do need to have the car serviced by a BMW dealer or approved service agent in line with their standard service schedule. Personally, I’ve found the BMW Service Packages to be competitive anyway, and I’ve managed to get a discounted service package through their MyBMW owners portal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts