Baby BMW Forum banner

BMW LED Taillights, NOT Blackline

913 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Bajasen 
Cars with halogens don't have LED taillights. LED taillights have additional pin which is missing on the wiring harness of the non-LED taillight.

There are two ways to go around this:
  • Tap into license plate light and get power from there (hacky, don't like it)
  • Run wire to the FRM module and code it properly (OEM, nice, proper way to do it, but a bit more work)

Hi, thank you for answer.
I understand. So I don't need to rearrange the wires in the connector since I have facelift correct?
So I would need to run 2 wires from each taillight either to the FRM or use the license plate lights?
Do you need NCS Expert or something like this to code it?

By the way is there any downsides to routing to license plate lights instead?
Downside of running LED strips from license plate lights is extra current draw from the connector, but many folks here were successful in doing so, without burning their car to the ground. Yes, you need to code in new taillights so when light is on auto, you'll get just the LED strip and nothing else.

Current draw will be next to zero. They are LED
There are LED, but there is two of them, and we are not sure how much current overhead BMW left on that connector for license plate lights. Also, it is far cleaner to do it from the FRM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.