Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW introduces new heated seat subscription in UK - BBC News

I think BMW might be in for a few court cases on this one.

Interesting to see how they can implement (outside of Idrive8) a software license on a car that will need a physical button (heated steering/seats).

If they disable the functionality on cars that already have these functions, then the courts will be busy and BMW will lose business.

·
Super Moderator
369 Posts
If they disable the functionality on cars that already have these functions, then the courts will be busy and BMW will lose business.
I'd be very surprised if it got to this really. It's more likely to be a case of going forward the buttons will disappear (as they already have in the 2022 3 Series and others) and heated seats and steering will be controlled by iDrive, but the hardware is always present.

I think it could be good, especially when buying used cars as there is often a 'perfect' car on the market that happens to be missing one or two deal-breaker option(s). If a subscription can fill the blanks, it negates the need for a (potentially shoddy) retrofit.

Reactions: Invisiblename

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
It'll be great for the used market once people figure out how to bypass the subscription. If these features are ever as straightforward to enable as CarPlay is on Fxx models, then most cars will have their spec sheet inflated the day the warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

Interesting to see how they can implement (outside of Idrive8) a software license on a car that will need a physical button (heated steering/seats).

They have said that cars that have been delivered / purchased with the function enabled will NOT have it disabled.

The manufacturer told the BBC that "where heated seats, or any feature available in the ConnectedDrive store have been purchased when a customer vehicle is ordered, no subsequent subscription or payment is necessary".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have said that cars that have been delivered / purchased with the function enabled will NOT have it disabled.

The manufacturer told the BBC that "where heated seats, or any feature available in the ConnectedDrive store have been purchased when a customer vehicle is ordered, no subsequent subscription or payment is necessary".
....currently.

But this is mainly aimed at those vehicles without physical buttons, so the full galss cockpits

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

Newer cars won't have physical buttons for these controls so that's not going to be an issue.

From what I read there is the option to subscribe on a yearly basis, or buy outright. I'm not clear if that's connected to the car itself or a connected drive account. Either way I can't see BMW losing business and for used purchasers the option to enable via software rather than retrofit desirable items would be seen as a good thing.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,552 Posts
Good idea imo, for some users.

I only use my heated wheel in winter so if you plan on owning the car for 3 years and just have the heated wheel for 3 months per year that’s cheaper than speccing it as an option in full.

Pricing might need looking at though. £5/month might be better.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,552 Posts
Newer cars won't have physical buttons for these controls so that's not going to be an issue.

From what I read there is the option to subscribe on a yearly basis, or buy outright. I'm not clear if that's connected to the car itself or a connected drive account. Either way I can't see BMW losing business and for used purchasers the option to enable via software rather than retrofit desirable items would be seen as a good thing.
It could allow you to carry options over to your next car also.

Have to admit, I’m not totally against it

·
Registered
39 Posts
I really don't understand this - it's not like you are paying for a service to be provided e.g netflix/spotify/gamepass where the service is added to and improved over time - The hardware exists, in the case of a heated wheel or seats, a heating element - has been installed on the car - the cost by it has been covered (and in longer term probably reduced as there are less variations in factory line spec) already - just include it in the OTR price of the car? like other manufacturers already do. They are essentially blocking access to hardware that you have have in your possession via software - what next - Sports mode is paid for subscription? 8th gear is $10 a month.

I have no issue paying for online and subscription services - I already do have plenty of them but I`m getting stuff that I don't already have in my possession- I don't have the entire Discology of every album by the Beatles in my cupboard but Spotify has disabled the play button on every device in my house.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I expected more fists being waved in the air about this.

I'm not in favour personally. I don't like the idea of hardware as a service. It doesn't cost BMW anything to provide it. The hardware is already fitted and would have been costed at original point of sale, no? So this is money for nothing. It seems like a scam to me and no doubt other manufacturers will pile on board.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
No doubt you can still pay for heated seats and/or heated wheel at point of ordering if you want them. I don't see the difference. If you want the functionality you pay upfront or down the line. If BMW choose to fit the seats with heating elements in them anyway so what? They would claim it's cheaper or cost neutral to fit a standard wheel and seats.

Other manufacturers (Tesla and Polestar spring to mind) already give the option of adding functionality via software and even power upgrades to the motor fitted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This can’t really be a big shock. High beam assist has been a subscription option on the F40 for some time. Map updates are another example of a subscription service (currrently £79/yr) The car comes with the physical button which then becomes functional when the subscription is activated through the connected drive app. With the move towards ID8, voice command and the removal of physical buttons I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot more functions become subscription services

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,552 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I expected more fists being waved in the air about this.

I'm not in favour personally. I don't like the idea of hardware as a service. It doesn't cost BMW anything to provide it. The hardware is already fitted and would have been costed at original point of sale, no? So this is money for nothing. It seems like a scam to me and no doubt other manufacturers will pile on board.
The major plus point I can see is the £40k VED threshold. This way you buy the basic car with cheaper tax and then just pick & mix the options as you go. Providing costs work out roughly the same per car/ownership that’s fine.

Effectively we get stock boilerplate cars, and the options are linked to your user profile. So when you buy a new motor you don’t have to hunt for your preferred spec. You could even drive another persons car and your options would show up on that.

It has some interesting connotations.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The £40k VED threshold has already sailed for many base spec desirable cars although it could be useful if you happen to be close to the tipping point and can defer some options to post purchase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts