Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a lot of work carried out on my F20 N13 118i (timing chain, new injectors, plugs, coils, battery etc, etc).

All started with that engine management light coming on and eventually limp mode then none starter.

After spending £3,500 car runs fine, with the exceptions of that engine management light comes on now and again!!
Also, have an android media system and there is no functions showing, cannot even set clock or update firmware!

I asked the garage the problem, plugged it in and cleared all faults.
Told me the battery was low so car running at minimum functions.

The battery is new and took the car for a long run, still the same, engine light comes on now and again, no functions on Android iDrive???

Although, yesterday the tyre low warning light came on the dash, not the idrive?
Cannot view and functions or information on screen?

Is it the android unit at fault causing errors on the ECU, the ECU itself which has been professionally repaired.
I cannot even update firmware.

Using e- sys shows no errors????
BMW (Germany) told me to reload firmware and disconnect battery.
I cannot update due to no functions and have not disconnected battery yet?

DO not want to keep throwing money into a 7 year old car?

Any ideas or experiences will be very welcome.

The android unit is 5 years old, a car?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'm not sure that coding in the battery would make any difference, as I think that's just about resetting the battery re-cycling. What has been my experience, in common with others, is that certain functions can be lost like braking sensors, or fault lights show up, after changing the battery even after coding, until the car has been restarted a couple of times or driven. This sounds more like a ecu coding issue to me though admittedly I'm very far from being an expert.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the replies.

I believe it is an ECU programming problem as the original ECU was sent away for reconditioning to save the costs over a new one.

The garage may have just plugged it in assuming the reconditioned had backed up and reloaded.

I am away in London at present (by coach) but will contact the garage on Monday.
I will also asked if the battery was programmed to the car.

I may end up recoding myself with e-sys or Carly if they cannot do it?
Going to be another week wasted finding the e-sys codes?

Thanks for the help and anything else would help, thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just spitballing a couple of ideas here but maybe the Android box is interfering with the canbus? I know the early MMI boxes did this, preventing coding and diagnostics work from taking place while it was connected.

Also inability to set the clock might mean that the fibre optic cables on the quadlock connector might need some kind of termination doing, as again - with the MMI boxes, being unable to set the time is a problem when the fibre optics aren't reconnected to the original headunit correctly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just spitballing a couple of ideas here but maybe the Android box is interfering with the canbus? I know the early MMI boxes did this, preventing coding and diagnostics work from taking place while it was connected.

Also inability to set the clock might mean that the fibre optic cables on the quadlock connector might need some kind of termination doing, as again - with the MMI boxes, being unable to set the time is a problem when the fibre optics aren't reconnected to the original headunit correctly.
Thank you very much Mr Happy for your reply and the time spent analysising the problem.
Yes you could be right, the android unit is now over 5 years and could be causing the programming not coming through.
I thought this when the instrument panel showed tyre low and system functions not showing on the android screen?
Once I get home tomorrow I will did out the original screen (luckily I kept) and see if there is a change?
Thank very much again and will keep you posted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now you've said android screen (so i'm guessing you still have the original BMW headunit in place) I'd certainly say your issues with the clock setting etc. are down to the way the screen connects to the car.

You'll have a T-cable with two quadlock connectors; one male, one female. The female one will be plugged into the car, and the male one will be plugged into the original headunit. Then a cable coming from this will be going up to the screen to provide power/speaker break in for the android functions.

Check the quadlock plug coming from the car wiring, there'll be four round ports on it, two will probably have a pair of fibre optic cables in them, these must be connected to the radio, they don't go through the T-cable, you need to remove them from the car plug and clip them into the T-cable plug end that fits into the head unit.

This video details what I'm (probably terribly) trying to explain!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now you've said android screen (so i'm guessing you still have the original BMW headunit in place) I'd certainly say your issues with the clock setting etc. are down to the way the screen connects to the car.

You'll have a T-cable with two quadlock connectors; one male, one female. The female one will be plugged into the car, and the male one will be plugged into the original headunit. Then a cable coming from this will be going up to the screen to provide power/speaker break in for the android functions.

Check the quadlock plug coming from the car wiring, there'll be four round ports on it, two will probably have a pair of fibre optic cables in them, these must be connected to the radio, they don't go through the T-cable, you need to remove them from the car plug and clip them into the T-cable plug end that fits into the head unit.

This video details what I'm (probably terribly) trying to explain!

Thank you very much, once again.
In London until Wednesday, by coach ( could not trust the car).
Once I get home will do as you stated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just tried re-connection the original media unit and fully removed the android unit.

Exactly the same, no functions and cannot set clock as with the android unit.

Looked for the fibre optical cables but none, must be different unit Carlife-mall.
I tried disconnecting the battery, draining the system and reconnecting.
It requests to set clock but does not allow when trying (maybe me).
It did show tyre pressure low only on the dash.
I phoned the garage that carried out the repair who stated it must be the android unit but when told them I tried could only book me in after the bank holiday for a diagnostic check. Said the car was fine when it left them??
Back to the drawing board.
No clock, no sound and no system or information function showing.
Only clock is on the android unit connected via GPS.
At least I can use the car.
Must be the ECU needs programming for functions to work correctly???

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you completely remove the android screen, including the cabling etc. and reinstall the factory one as it left the factory?

The clock generally updates by RDS so as long as the stereo is in place and can receive FM signals, it should auto-set.

The fibre-optic cables aren't anything to do with the android unit, they are plugged in to the main connector coming from the car. If you could take photos of the wiring behind the radio it would be very helpful.

The amount of issues you report says to me that a code will definitely be set somewhere, so you need to find someone with something like ISTA or BimmerLink and get the codes read.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the car sorted this week, got it back from the garage yesterday.

The problem was the mass air sensor causing the engine management light to come on.

The problem with the iDrive loss of functions was it had lost its marbles/memory totally clear?

I had to be completely reprogrammed.

Touch wood everything is working as it should at a cost of £500 for the sensor and iDrive programming, bringing the total cost to £4,000 (cost more than the cars worth).

Sadly, I had too remove the old Carlife-Mall 10.25 android unit for the original for the programming.
Lost Satnav, rear camera and touch screen.
Although it was an old android 4.4 unit limiting software (APK) to be installed which I purchased due to the threads on this forum "BadBoy".

With all the expense of the repairs cannot afford a new android unit sadly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts