Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a 2016 125d which I love but I am considering a gearbox remap with celtic tuning (they are local to me and I would do an engine remap at the same time) as I've heard good things about how shifts are much improved.
I hear a lot of revs at lows speeds before actually feeling movement which I'm told a remap will sort out, also I do sometimes feel a delay in power when putting my foot down at higher speeds, even in sport mode and just looking for some improvement.
Has anyone had a gearbox remap done on a 125d?
I would be really keen to hear from someone who has and can tell me that it's worth it?
Many thanks

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I had a 125d and I can't say I found the box lacking it was the engine that slightly disappointed. It is one of the better 4 cylinder diesel engines out there, possibly the best, with about 3K of useable rev range vs the 1500-2K most single turbo units have, but I don't think messing with the box will transform it to be honest. I can see the point in squeezing a few more hp from the engine, and I would imagine it will give up another 30-40hp fairly easily but it wont change its character or noise unfortunately.

If the car frustrates you then you may be throwing good money after bad, the real solution is a 3 litre, ideally petrol!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 125d and I can't say I found the box lacking it was the engine that slightly disappointed. It is one of the better 4 cylinder diesel engines out there, possibly the best, with about 3K of useable rev range vs the 1500-2K most single turbo units have, but I don't think messing with the box will transform it to be honest. I can see the point in squeezing a few more hp from the engine, and I would imagine it will give up another 30-40hp fairly easily but it wont change its character or noise unfortunately.

If the car frustrates you then you may be throwing good money after bad, the real solution is a 3 litre, ideally petrol!
Thanks padders, much appreciated.
I guess the thing I find most annoying is hearing a lot of revs on take off before the gear engages and the car actually moves so just wondering if anyone has had this gearbox remap on a 125d or in fact any auto BMW and did this improves things drastically?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
573 Posts
I considered this for my old 2013 525d. It's the XHP software update for the box. Sometimes I found the box slightly confused / laggy, even in sport mode, and is was that slight hesitancy that annoyed me greatly, especially when pulling away (say from a junction). Evolve are near me; they do it - but as you say, others do too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I considered this for my old 2013 525d. It's the XHP software update for the box. Sometimes I found the box slightly confused / laggy, even in sport mode, and is was that slight hesitancy that annoyed me greatly, especially when pulling away (say from a junction). Evolve are near me; they do it - but as you say, others do too.
Ok thanks, perhaps its a diesel thing and the take off will never be as good as a petrol. I'm hoping that I can find someone who has had this done on a diesel auto and whether it does improve it or whether its a waste of money.
I'd be gutted to have it done and then be disappointed.
Thanks for your response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts