Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy guys thanks in advance for all you're suggestion's. I own a bmw f21 114i from late 2013 96.000km it's got the n13 engine 1.6 turbocharged petrol. On a cold start in the morning, or after not in use for 2 or 3 hours on startup it makes this kinda weird noise. It's like the noise of the belt skipping on the pulley but its not, I've taken off the alternator belt and the noise is still there. It only lasts 15 to 20 seconds but it's quite loud even my neighbours been asking what's wrong with my car. It happens while accelerating or at idle doesn't do it when the engine comes down in revs after accelerating. Ive done a couple of videos. Thanks.
https://youtube.com/shorts/UyCqdPG1wYw?feature=share

·
Registered
586 Posts
Turbo heat shield? They all break on the N13. The turbo is at the top of the engine, right hand side as you look at it, and the heat shield should be obvious. It's a big (deep) thing, and a nasty design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hy BFleming thanks for youre advice, already checked the heat shield and nothing broken or loose. If it whas the heat shield it wouldn't stop after 20 seconds and no sound when the engine is hot only at cold startups.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DanM1980 I've seen that posting it's not the same problem I've got. Not hearing the noise my engine makes in his video there are totaly different problems. I'm aware of the rattling the wastegate is making on startup. The noise my car is making is much more louder and higher in pitch. Thanks for the suggestion anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello guys finally I’ve solved the problem. There where 5 nuts loose on the exhaust manifold basically all 5 nuts holding exhaust manifold for piston 1 and 2. They’ve gotten loose by themselves nobody touched them.

·
Registered
2013 BMW F20 118i
12 Posts
Hello guys finally I’ve solved the problem. There where 5 nuts loose on the exhaust manifold basically all 5 nuts holding exhaust manifold for piston 1 and 2. They’ve gotten loose by themselves nobody touched them.
I seem to remember that the copper nuts are single-use only so it suggests that there has been previous work carried out involving the exhaust manifold, and the nuts have been re-used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts