Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Long time lurker, now ive an issue that I couldnt get an answer for.
2006 120d M47 E87
Here's a bit of background. I left the car sat for around 3 weeks as I was away from home.
When I got back I got the battery on a charger and reconnected it. The car started up away I went. All good.
Next day, did about 40 miles in it and replaced the headlight bulbs and did 40 miles home again. All good.

The day after that. I did a short journey. Less that 10 miles and on the road home I heard an explosion. No dash lights or anything just a bang. Pulled the car into a car park and found the BST at the battery blown apart.

I disconnected everything, noticing the bolts were very loose. I hadnt torqued them down when i tpok it off charge. ANYWAY, I reassembled it all. The car fired up and I got home. I then took to out later to the shop to check if it was alright. Got about a mile and I got the red battery light, abs, steering dash lights. The BST had came apart again.

Ive gave the battery a much better longer charge and installed it back into the car. No warnings and running fine.

I expect i'll have to replace the battery.
My question is: did the bst fire from heat generated by the loose connections and is it okay to rejoin the bst connection and continue driving?

Disclaimer: I am aware this may be a safety issue if I have a horrific crash and somehow it bursts into a fireball with me in it. In the event of this your reply will not be used on a court of law.

· Registered
1,915 Posts
Vehicle details might be worth adding to you signature.

· Super Moderator
64,589 Posts
GlasgowAitchie said:
is it okay to rejoin the bst connection and continue driving?
The BST is single use, just like an airbag. Once the BST is blown, that battery connection won't transmit much current (or any current reliably). The main red cable blows past the spring tabs, and the taper (where the current is supposed to be conducted) is displaced. I'm surprised it's starting at all!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive seen that diagram but it isnt the design that I have.
This is one :

Where the post you see on the left slots into the channel on the right that has the "PL2". The pyro is contained within that channel.
Ive had an electrician round this morning who tested the battery voltage, load tested it and checked the alternator. Everything was fine.
The car has started up several times on the button this morning.
It' so frustrating not understanding why it's did it. My only guess is that there's been heat from the loose connections thats triggered the pyro.

· Registered
1 Posts
Ive seen that diagram but it isnt the design that I have.
This is one :

Where the post you see on the left slots into the channel on the right that has the "PL2". The pyro is contained within that channel.
Ive had an electrician round this morning who tested the battery voltage, load tested it and checked the alternator. Everything was fine.
The car has started up several times on the button this morning.
It' so frustrating not understanding why it's did it. My only guess is that there's been heat from the loose connections thats triggered the pyro.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a 2005 E87 120d with the same BST shown in the link "PL2". I don't know what has caused it, just heard a bang whilst driving (at the time it sounded like something hitting the roof) and when I next tried the car an hour later, it was dead. Obviously now I have found that the BST has detonated.

I am trying to find a replacement part, but cannot find the same one anywhere. Can anyone suggest where I can get one from online? Have looked on ebay, but they all look completely different?

If it's going to be costly, I might just scrap the car...:( Thanks for any help.

· Administrator
4,358 Posts
I am trying to find a replacement part, but cannot find the same one anywhere. Can anyone suggest where I can get one from online? Have looked on ebay, but they all look completely different?
Try asking Cotswold BMW, give them your VIN/reg and they'll quote you for the correct part with forum discount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts