• The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon!

RE: 4 Series (F32)

Used the windscreen washer for the first time since purchase today, and to me it feels a little weak. The flow of fluid doesn't make its way up the windscreen quite properly leading to a 'scratchy,' dry wash and upon holding the stalk for a prolonged period it just 'drips' out of the jets.

I'm not sure if this is normal for the F32, or whether they are blocked. I've uploaded a video at 20220905_152930.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Danny

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,541 Posts
They look blocked to me, normally from people using none BMW screen wash - exactly what I used in our E91 which subsequently blocked!! :D

I used an airline from a tyre inflator to clean ours out once I'd removed the jets from the car - worked a treat.

As a quick check, try disconnecting the tubes from the jets then fire the washers - if the water shoots out, you know the jets are blocked.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I’ve heard of people using sterident tablets too to unblock the pump too, that & warm/hot water

Not many brands of screen wash mix with the BWM stuff I believe, I was told Prestone will mix & another but I can’t remember the brand. I’ve been using Prestone in my past & current BMWs and had no issues

·
Registered
664 Posts
As above remove jets and try the washers, if the water squirts out it's the jets, if not it's the hose or other issue like split hose, washer pump, sludge in bottom of washer bottle.

Once you know you can tackle the problem👍

·
Registered
592 Posts
Could be just the jets but as it appears both are affected, it's highly likely the fault is blocked filters situated at the bottom of the reservoir and the pumps sit in them.

Best approach is to remove the reservoir and clean it out fully. This happened a lot to the 1 series in the early days. I read loads of tips including warm water and Cillit bang but they worked for some and not others. I decided to clean everything out including the tubes because the sludge had reached them as well.

I had used Sonax once and that caused the problem because up until then, only BMW wash was used and it was only a year or two old. The filters were blocked.

It takes a couple of hours to do but you know where you are and it won't happen again if you use genuine BMW product. I believe VW use or used the same product made by the same manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a quick check, try disconnecting the tubes from the jets then fire the washers - if the water shoots out, you know the jets are blocked.
That's a good shout 120, will do

Best approach is to remove the reservoir and clean it out fully. This happened a lot to the 1 series in the early days. I read loads of tips including warm water and Cillit bang but they worked for some and not others. I decided to clean everything out including the tubes because the sludge had reached them as well.
Really hoping it doesn't come to this as it'll be a trip to the mechanic if I can't open it all up, it looks tricky :confused:

Many thanks to all for responses, got good suggestions here so will have a go and update.

Not many brands of screen wash mix with the BWM stuff I believe, I was told Prestone will mix & another but I can’t remember the brand. I’ve been using Prestone in my past & current BMWs and had no issues
I've previously been using RainX for my previous F20s (and indeed other cars) because I like its hydrophobic effect and cleaning performance. If I use this exclusively after cleaning out the system, am I likely to run into problems in future? I've had a look online but nothing specifically on RainX - just people saying that if you consistently use one product you're not likely to run into issues, but not sure of how true that is?

·
Registered
203 Posts
RainX or any other brand screen wash should be fine on it’s own, the only issue is if it goes into bmw for service or warranty work & they top it up. You could get around this but filling the bottle up to the brim before it goes in

I too like the hydrophobic glass coating, I used to use rainX too but not so often now as I coat the car with bilt hamber touch on sachet 1 per month & this coats the full car not just the glass

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RainX or any other brand screen wash should be fine on it’s own, the only issue is if it goes into bmw for service or warranty work & they top it up. You could get around this but filling the bottle up to the brim before it goes in
Think I might put tape on the cap as well. It's going in tomorrow so will need to put notes to say not to wash the car either - scratched it to bits last time :oops:

Reactions: Stevejrich

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: Stevejrich

·
Super Moderator
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An update for future reference...

After doing this, I discovered it was the tube itself (which supplies both left and right washer jets) that was blocked. Inserted the nozzle of my tyre pump in the tube which then dislodged any gunk inside. The plan is now to run the washer bottle dry before putting in vinegar diluted with hot water to attempt to break down any remnants.

If the issue recurs I'll have to get it opened up but for now, it works at least. Many thanks to all for your help (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts