Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 68 plate M140i in for end of Warranty check and MOT atm with Styner Oldbury. I have the usual pitted/flaked Exhaust Tips being inspected for Warranty claim.

However, they're claiming now that this has been caused by "Lack of cleaning" and is not covered. Which is surely ridiculous.

My old M135I which also had this issue had them replaced at the same dealership for the same reason about 3 years ago.

They are checking their records for the previous car to ensure they were replaced.

I expect I'm going to receive a call later saying its still not covered. Anyone else experience this?

Cheers 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I brought the car approved used last year. Came with 12 months. They ultimately refused to replace them so will see what BMW UK will do. Cheers so far guys and il let you know the outcome 馃憤

Registered
I'm unsure if trim items are only covered for 12 months from new but might be wrong. Unless you religiously clean the OEM tips they will corrode over time. I replaced mine even though they were still perfect with the Cobra tips which are an OEM direct copy so fit perfect, just a slightly larger diameter. Quality is much better.

Registered
I think that you've just got to concede that BMW isn't going to admit it's exhaust tips on the 1/2 Series were deficient. At least not at the corporate level, although a dealer may do something for you if you're a valued customer. I got mine sandblasted and powder-coated and once you get them back in this state (below), you realise just how shoddy the original finish is. I don't think BMW is ever going to shift it's position on this and for me, it wasn't worth my time and effort in pressing the case for the sake of 拢30-拢50 for sandblasting/powdercoating, or replacing them with better quality product.

Registered
My car was 4 years old when I changed to an MPE, I was looking at the old OEM backbox yesterday, and no corrosion at all.

Registered
I had both tips of my exhaust changed as part of the end of warranty check when my car became three years old last year. It seemed to come as no surprise to the dealer when I asked for them to be changed, and straight away they said they would be able to do it. I got the impression they'd done it loads of time before, because I asked if I could pay the difference to get M performance ones instead, and they said they knew they wouldn't be able to do this as they'd asked for other customers before me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts