Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 plate 116d and my car was making a weird chirping noise that was getting louder over time, so I just used to spray the belt with wd40 lubricant and it would stop for a couple hours, I changed the belt now and it shredded on first drive, changed again and also changed tensioner and pulley with after market parts then it shredded again. Bought a new tensioner and pulley and now the pulley is vibrating. Any ideas what the problem could be. I’ve already checked water pump and alternator they’re fine.

·
Super Moderator
65,171 Posts
Shredding belts isn’t a common or ‘known’ issue for that (or any BMW) engine. Something’s obviously very wrong, but it’s going to be a little tricky for us to diagnose over the internet, so it’s time for your detective skills basically.

You’re looking for anything wrong. Pulleys not spinning, or spinning too slowly in relation to belt speed. Anything moving which should be rock solid. Witnesses of where the belt has overheated. Noises, vibrations, things out of alignment, etc.

I’d be starting with the main crank pulley as the most likely culprit, then working my way up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts