Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ONR seems to have stopped existing from any UK sellers apart from one kn*bhead on Amazon who's selling it at a 10x markup, so I bought a 4l bottle of ECH2o to have a go with this lunchtime. Would have bought a smaller one, but didn't want to end up with that selling out too!

The mixing ratios are a bit confusing, but CarPro'sUS site confirms it as:
  • 15:1 waterless wash
  • 25:1 for quick detailer
  • 40:1 for clay lube
  • 200:1 rinseless wash
I ended up mixing at roughly 20:1 instead of 200:1 because I forgot how to maths, didn't realise until half way through... Safe to say the first few panels were a bit smeary :lol2:

I used it exactly the same as you would ONR. Bucket full of fluffy microfibres soaked in the solution, rest in a spray bottle to pre-soak each panel (feat. one of my garden centre branded graduated mixing bottles - £1 instead of £5-10 for the detailing brand versions :rollseyes:). Spray the panel up, take a towel, fold after each wipe. 8 wipes per towel, then it goes in the second bucket to be washed, no re-dunking. Car had a week of dust and grime to remove which the rinseless wash seemed to make short work of.

Here are the results:

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Car was dried using a couple of big drying towels and CarPro Hydro2 Lite as a drying aid, been using it for a while now and very impressed. Easily cleaned up the smeary bits left from using the wash at the wrong concentration 😅

Here's what it did on the wheels (which are ceramic coated in fairness – probably wouldn't have done as well if they weren't):

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Won't be retiring the pressure washer when it's allowed out again, but this stuff seems decent, and it's good value when used correctly!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Pretty good results, I might need to keep an eye on this stuff as it seems even rainy west and central Scotland isn't going to be immune from future hosepipe bans. I already use a worx pressure washer with a 25l jerry can which would probably qualify as circumventing the ban but I'm sure that'd just stir up the local facebook whingers if I tested the theory.

It's interesting wash technique though they recommend, I'd seen some youtube detailer do something similar instead of using a wash mitt and thought it was maybe just his quirk to try and stick out but there might be something in it if the waterless crowd recommend it. Sapphire Black is a complete nightmare of a colour to keep clean and swirl free so might give it a go.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have half US gallon left of ONR, it's lasted ages as I rarely use it but I did look for more and also found like yourself, no stock. Found some Dodo Low on EAU but they are small bottles. I might get some of the Carpro product, I suppose like ONR, dilutions could be adjusted a little according to water softness, maybe for harder water, a little more may be worthwhile anyway. Thank you for posting this review.

Edit.

Just been researching on Autogeek and they mentioned some smearing that needs buffing off, also found the same on DW. Not everyone said the same so it may be down to application but Autogeek are pretty keen on products such as this. However, after buffing the finish was said to be good. I'm not keen on extra buffing with a rinse less wash just in case of any remaining debris, the haze might show more in certain colours.

If you have not used ONR it's difficult but see how you get on next time, any hazing etc. 👍

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's interesting wash technique though they recommend, I'd seen some youtube detailer do something similar instead of using a wash mitt and thought it was maybe just his quirk to try and stick out but there might be something in it if the waterless crowd recommend it.
I think the idea is that because you're not blasting the dirt off, you don't want to accumulate too much in each towel. The lubricants in the wash product aren't magical and if the towel is full of crud you're going to end up dragging that across and leaving scratches. Just rinsing them out isn't good enough as they're picking up much more than a wash mitt would after the car has been pre-rinsed etc., and it can stay embedded until they're given a spin in the machine.

Found some Dodo Low on EAU but they are small bottles. I might get some of the Carpro product, I suppose like ONR, dilutions could be adjusted a little according to water softness, maybe for harder water, a little more may be worthwhile anyway.

I'm not keen on extra buffing with a rinse less wash just in case of any remaining debris, the haze might show more in certain colours.

If you have not used ONR it's difficult but see how you get on next time, any hazing etc. 👍
Same - would have gone with Dodo but small bottles are poor value and I didn't want to be left short.

I didn't have to buff at all when used at the right dilution, I dried the car using a towel and Hydro2 Lite and it came up gleaming. It was smeary before I realised it was far too concentrated though!

I have used ONR, I had one of the not-quite-a-litre bottles which has lasted years but have never used it for a full wash, only for quick touch ups, cleaning the door shuts, presents from seagulls etc. I'd have just bought another if it wasn't unobtanium at the moment. Ech2o definitely feels slicker, whether that makes a difference to the result I've no idea!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I didn't have to buff at all when used at the right dilution, I dried the car using a towel and Hydro2 Lite and it came up gleaming. It was smeary before I realised it was far too concentrated though!
I think that could well be the solution, I saw another video this morning and the chap said too much = hazing etc. It's all opinions of course but I think used right it will be fine and would appear to offer the most bang for your buck. There are several others which used to be readily available but costly, they seem hard to find in the UK these days so as I said, it's good you pointed this out. I used to bring lots of products back from the US but it became harder with all the extra security and rules for liquids. Still have an awful lot though ☺

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Those results look pretty good.

We‘re currently ok re the hose pipe ban at the mo with nothing on the horizon for now.

Off topic, but I’m in Wales tonight and it’s amazing how much greener it is than at home; no scorched grass here.

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those results look pretty good.

We‘re currently ok re the hose pipe ban at the mo with nothing on the horizon for now.

Off topic, but I’m in Wales tonight and it’s amazing how much greener it is than at home; no scorched grass here.
It's definitely not as thorough as a proper blast with the pressure washer, can't see how you clean wheel arches/barrels etc. without one!

Grass is a distant memory here in the south east, the trees have even started dropping their leaves early it's been so hot/dry. Never been as glad for a storm as I was for the one we had today.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
It's definitely not as thorough as a proper blast with the pressure washer, can't see how you clean wheel arches/barrels etc. without one!

Grass is a distant memory here in the south east, the trees have even started dropping their leaves early it's been so hot/dry. Never been as glad for a storm as I was for the one we had today.
It’s better then a car covered in dust / bird ****!

I put my 335i away thus week; I’m away for a few dats in Wales so it was just going to sit on the drive getting covered I dust and then rained on which would look awful and I’d end up washing it having not used it which is daft.

A few trees have start dropping their leaves by us too, lots of berries are out too.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It's gloriusly damp in Manchester as ever. Working nights at the moment, I got rained on, on my way home from work it wasn't forecasted and I was on my bike, I don't do bikes and rain!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well this certainly looks worth a go! I'm also in the SE of UK so absolutely no chance of getting the hose out any time soon.

Where did you get the bottle from @Nyxeris ? A quick google and everything seems out of stock!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
In2detailing - just had a quick look and they're sold out too :(
I had a good look at all the usual places and only found 1L bottles. I suppose they are Ok at a push, depends how many times you think you will use it. It's not as if you cannot use water so maybe a freshen up between more thorough washes. Autoglym also offer something called Quick Refresh, they suggest it's used with the Instadry cloth, they alone are about £13 but I bought one on Amazon for £6. They are good cloths for final removal of droplets but for drying a complete car, far to small really. They are not known for longevity either so I would be keen to start removing dirt with one.

I have worked out I have enough ONR for 61 washes but if I find a large Carpro, I will post here 🙂

This is Quickrefresh, could be in Halfords etc. but not the cheapest wash.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In2detailing - just had a quick look and they're sold out too :(
Bugger, thats the first option that I found too. I'll keep looking.
I had a good look at all the usual places and only found 1L bottles. I suppose they are Ok at a push, depends how many times you think you will use it.
I'd actually be fine with a 1L I think, especially because this will be my first time using something like this. I have used "dry wash" products a few times for some as needed tart-ups but I cannot be bothered with that for a full wash.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Bugger, thats the first option that I found t
I'd actually be fine with a 1L I think,
In that case, in2detailing had 1L and so did justcarcare when I checked just now.

There is also Dodo Low on Eau, that was eBay and perhaps might be the one I would get in 1L. Might cost a bit more but I don't think you can start counting costs at these prices for a bit of liquid. 😉

·
Registered
598 Posts
I could have started a new thread here but thought I might just tag it on here. (Hope that's OK Nyxeris😊)

I have used ONR in the past but only ever bought two US gallons in around 15 years. I have never found it to cause damage but only use it on a relatively clean car and mainly on a dusty classic that I don't want to pressure wash or get dripping wet. With this hosepipe ban, I decided I may do the odd maintenance clean, bit if dust, light rain etc. otherwise use a pw and collected water if need be.

ONR seems unobtainable (and CarPro dried up last time I looked) but I saw McKees 37 N914 was available. It's very well thought of in the US, many liking it more than ONR. It's early days, but after the one wash, I was impressed with the slickness and end result. Mixed at a 256:1 officially and I sprayed onto the car at the same dilution. I used to make a strong pre spray for ONR but not using it on a heavily soiled vehicle, there is not much point.

So if your tempted to try a rinseless wash, this certainly matches ONR from what I have seen.

The remainder of my ONR with McKees.
Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Solution Material property

Black Font Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Audio equipment

1 - 15 of 15 Posts