Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article from politico.eu site.

It says the Volkswagen Group increased its profits in 2021 by 75 percent to more than €15 billion, while sales fell by 600,000 units. Also Merc have made a decision to no longer making the A and B class cars.

My wife has a little I3s which has been discontinued with no direct small car replacement and all the electric cars from BMW now seem huge. I wonder what else will follow, and where it will end?

Automakers Earn a Bundle

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I seen a similar story a few months ago, probably even before Putins war, and it had a comment from the BMW chief exec saying that they were increasing their margin by focussing on premium cars during the supply shortages and he expected the company and others to continue this even if supplies returned to normal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its interesting that Mercedes and BMW are returning back to their roots in a way. Manufacture of premium saloons, coupes (and SUV's) Gone are the hatchbacks and bizarre variations of model types. The ranges of both these manufactures have become rather bloated if i'm honest. However I will miss the A35/A45, wouldn't mind giving one a try after the m140i.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
I think most things in life are going this way now - the gap between rich/poor is getting bigger and the rich are making even more money.

So I guess BMW/Merc etc are just aiming for the higher cost cars they can charge more for to sell and to service.

That leaves normal folk like most of us having to go with Kia, Hyundai etc.

A new/nearly new 3 series has always been within our monthly car budget since forever, but now for a decent spec 3 series you are talking £50-60k plus new and we're just not interested in pumping that much cash into a car any more.

Affordable to us? Yes. Do I really want to be chucking £600-700 a month into a car? Certainly not!!

Reactions: MrCrashy31

·
Registered
53 Posts
Prices of vehicles have gone a bit bonkers! I always wanted to buy a new bike for the road & track in the future but I seriously cannot believe most modern 1000cc bikes are now circa £20k... for an engine on 2 wheels and packed with electronics :mad:

Cars wise looking at BMW's like the new M240I starting at £45k?! for a 2 series is crazy... great looking cars, look quite posh inside, but £45k+ posh? hmm

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
Prices of vehicles have gone a bit bonkers! I always wanted to buy a new bike for the road & track in the future but I seriously cannot believe most modern 1000cc bikes are now circa £20k... for an engine on 2 wheels and packed with electronics :mad:

Cars wise looking at BMW's like the new M240I starting at £45k?! for a 2 series is crazy... great looking cars, look quite posh inside, but £45k+ posh? hmm
My 240 was also £45k, but then had the lovely £9k discount to take off.

I actually specced up the new 240 to match my options and it was something like £58k I think. Just crazy money.

I'm sure car prices can't have gone up with inflation etc - as you say, bikes coming in at £20k is just daft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 240 was also £45k, but then had the lovely £9k discount to take off.

I actually specced up the new 240 to match my options and it was something like £58k I think. Just crazy money.

I'm sure car prices can't have gone up with inflation etc - as you say, bikes coming in at £20k is just daft.
Same. My m240 was just under 50k list ("nearly" fully loaded) but I haggled LF & paid 35. A recent configuration excursion on a G42 240 broke £60k!Keeping mine a while now as nothing around that I feel deserves my hard earned notes.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its interesting that Mercedes and BMW are returning back to their roots in a way. Manufacture of premium saloons, coupes (and SUV's) Gone are the hatchbacks and bizarre variations of model types. The ranges of both these manufactures have become rather bloated if i'm honest. However I will miss the A35/A45, wouldn't mind giving one a try after the m140i.
Will be interesting indeed. Merc has a 21 cars in its range, and half of them I couldn't tell apart on the road.

Will the UK's passion for German car brands fade if they are out of reach? Or will ever more creative finance keep us hooked, and the dealers busy?

Or will we shift more towards Korean and Japanese cars if they fill the gap in the smaller car segment?

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
I've heard from people in the biz that a lot of it is down to low confidence in future profitability. Hybrid/EV cars generally have lower profit margins than ICE, so the manufacturers are prioritising the models with the highest margins now to pocket as much as possible; that's invariably the high-end/luxury/performance models, and production on the volume models is being cut back to offset it. Skyrocketing wealth inequality and material shortages are forcing the manufacturers to pick a side earlier than expected, but aren't the root cause of the 'issue'.

Same thing is happening with fuel; OPEC/suppliers are keeping prices artificially high, maximising profit now because demand is going to drop off a cliff in the next 5-10 years as new ICE cars leave production.

·
Registered
80 Posts
BMW seem to offer greater value over Audi and Mercedes. I have had an old Passat estate, old A6 estate, an old Golf Estate and even a Chrysler 300c estate, so wanted to give BMW, Audi or Merc a try. Back in 2018 when I got my 3 series estate. Nothing came close from Audi or Mercedes for the price point of 20k. The engine choice was also another factor. Both Audi and Mercedes were severally lacking. I remember looking at S-line A4 estates. They wanted 3 to 4k more over the 3 series for engines with no more then 150bhp to 180bhp power. Regarding fuel, If the government keeps wanting to poke and stoke tensions abroad , then it should consider halving fuel duty/VAT which now sits at around 90p per 1.90 litre of fuel. (Paid that at BP yesterday)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
That leaves normal folk like most of us having to go with Kia, Hyundai etc.
To be fair, this is no hardship. Our Kia Xceed is a X2 competitor. Except it is better built, better engineered, feels more expensive, rides better, better equipment, more power for far less money and has a 7 year warranty and £400 for the first 3 services plus MOT. Apart from that, the BMW is really good. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,548 Posts
To be fair, this is no hardship. Our Kia Xceed is a X2 competitor. Except it is better built, better engineered, feels more expensive, rides better, better equipment, more power for far less money and has a 7 year warranty and £400 for the first 3 services plus MOT. Apart from that, the BMW is really good. :ROFLMAO:
I really like Kia and Hyundai, my post came across badly!!

However, my Mrs is a mid range badge snob. She won't even entertain owning a Porsche or a Range Rover (I've tried to convince her a Macan would be nice), but on the other end of the scale she doesn't want a Kia or Hyundai either.

But then she has had a BMW as her car since 2004 now so it's my fault - I think she's used to the way they work, infotainment etc.

Having said that she did seem keen on the new Kia Sportage so I priced one up and it was nearly £50k for the specced one. So actually, Kia is out of reach as well. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I really like Kia and Hyundai, my post came across badly!!

However, my Mrs is a mid range badge snob. She won't even entertain owning a Porsche or a Range Rover (I've tried to convince her a Macan would be nice), but on the other end of the scale she doesn't want a Kia or Hyundai either.

But then she has had a BMW as her car since 2004 now so it's my fault - I think she's used to the way they work, infotainment etc.

Having said that she did seem keen on the new Kia Sportage so I priced one up and it was nearly £50k for the specced one. So actually, Kia is out of reach as well. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
:lol2::lol2:

You can't win, can you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts