Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BabyBMW Founder (Retired)
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at my dealer today getting my car back from having a rattle fixed and discovered that they use a cleaning product called Aquapel ()

They say that it:

• Remarkably improves vision in the rain.
• Causes rain to bead up and roll right off.
• Makes it easier to clear ice, snow, and even dirt and bugs.
• Reduces glare in the rain, especially at night.
• Lasts for months in normal driving conditions.

It's possible that as it is a BMW approved product, you should be able to buy some at your dealers Parts Department.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep, rain-x it is. One thing I noticed with it is that you get a lot of glare during night driving from the film on the glass.
This is the exact reason why I stopped using it. In one sense it is meant to assist visability, but in another hampers it. :|

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can get all this stuff quite cheap on ebay. Use it in the bathroom for not having to clean the shower doors so often. Would never use it on my windscreen as I can't stand glare but sometimes think about applying it to the door windows or the rear.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
ive been using it on my shower screen for a while now..another top tip is to buy some cheap car wax and wax your UPVc window frames...stops them from turning yellow with the sunlight...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use rain-x for my side windows, mirrors and rearwindow (on my E60). It helps a lot to keep them cleaner then usual. I never use it on the front windshield. Did that once and saw nothing when I used the wipers :shock:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I swear by rain-x (and I don't swear often!)... use it on all my exterior glass, and have never had an issue with visibility in light rain or with glare at night. If you apply the Rain-X properly, the glass should appear crystal clear when dry, day or night.

Out of ten cars I have owned, all using Rain-X, I have only experienced one where the wiper blades stuck, jumping across the windscreen.

Will be applying it to my new Baby tomorrow :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried Rain-X when I had my Audi and hated the stuff. Actually ended up replacing the wiper blades because it seemed to do something to them.

On the BMW, I've applied a couple of coats of AG Glass Polish and the stuff is amazing! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aquapel is much much better than Rain-X. Rain-X is a silicon wax which causes smearing, wiper judder, attracts dirt and lasts about 3 weeks. Aquapel on the other hand (Marketed in Europe as Ombrello) is a fluoropolymer which really does last about 6 months, causes no judder and does what it says it does.. Causes rain to bead off to the extent that above 40mph you don't need wipers.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I used to use Rain x but then I got to 'polish' the glass with newspaper after cleaning it with regular glass cleaner. Can't remember who told me but it seems to keep the glass that bit cleaner for longer.

I know that news print has silicones in it but and can't think this would have that much of an effect - if anyone has any great ideas as to why this works let me know. And try it next time people!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.