Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATS have a Michelin promotion on at the moment (£64 off fitting of 4, plus £50 cash back), so I'm going to take the plunge and change the god-awful cheapo Chinese run flats that came on the car when I bought it in May!

I always used PS4's on my old Cooper S, but I'm looking at the PS5's this time. Any of you had much experience with them? Are they better than the already brilliant PS4s, I'd assume they are?

Probably getting 225/40/18 front and 245/35/18 rear.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I'm taking the lack of response as a no, haha!

I'm going to get some, and I'll report back how I get on with them!
Good on you Towerz, I'm soon for some new summer rubbers. Let us know how you get on with them! Chhers.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,465 Posts
I have PS5 rears fitted. Grip seems excellent etc, just as good as the PS4 but I can’t comment too much as they’re not playing very nicely with the front PS4s. :(

Swaying at higher speeds, so having to run them at 28-30psi all round. If I had ps5 front I think they’d be better.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Reviews suggest they are like the PS4, just a little bit better.

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,465 Posts
Reviews suggest they are like the PS4, just a little bit better.
It's hard to tell for me having PS4 F and PS5 R as they've really caused some problems. I'm getting used to it now, but the car isn't as stable as with just PS4 fitted.

Swaying on the motorway/when in a straight line (like the rear wants to steer more than the front), and the car doesn't feel as quick away from the line in Sport+ any more - nowhere near as quick as the previous PS4 I had fitted which were insane!! It seems to bog down more, but with no TC light flashing.

I'm having a bit of TC light flashing at higher speeds though, even flat out on the motorway at 70+.

So I would say, if you're getting a full set do it, but if not be aware they don't play nicely even with their elder sibling the PS4!! :oops:

·
Registered
2016 M240i
5,465 Posts
ATS have a Michelin promotion on at the moment (£64 off fitting of 4, plus £50 cash back), so I'm going to take the plunge and change the god-awful cheapo Chinese run flats that came on the car when I bought it in May!

I always used PS4's on my old Cooper S, but I'm looking at the PS5's this time. Any of you had much experience with them? Are they better than the already brilliant PS4s, I'd assume they are?

Probably getting 225/40/18 front and 245/35/18 rear.
One other thing - ATS fitted my rear PS5 and I was far from happy with the fitting - my wheels were as new, but they managed to take a chunk out of one rim. Balancing doesn't seem that great either. I wish I'd just stuck with my BMW dealer now, who tends to price match online prices anyway. I was in a rush though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delay getting back about this, I had to wait until payday!

So, the tyres were fitted this morning, and so far I gotta say they are fantastic, they've actually exceeded my expectations. Road noise is definitely down compared to the front Bridgestones and rear Chinese Cheapos that were fitted when I bought the car. Ride is much smoother thanks in part to them not being run-flats, and grip is very much improved! I've not had chance to really push it yet, only been for a relatively short drive (about a 15 mile round trip to a retail park), and also it's nice and dry/sunny so don't know what they'll be like in the wet yet. Also, they look very smart, I love the sidewall design!

I had PS4's on my old Cooper S, which were also great, but obviously that's a totally different beast to drive so can't really offer any reliable comparison, but these PS5's do seem quieter and feel maybe more stable, BUT as I said, two totally different cars!

I'll report back again when I've had more time with them, and what they're like in the wet (if it rains!).

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sorry for the delay getting back about this, I had to wait until payday!

So, the tyres were fitted this morning, and so far I gotta say they are fantastic, they've actually exceeded my expectations. Road noise is definitely down compared to the front Bridgestones and rear Chinese Cheapos that were fitted when I bought the car. Ride is much smoother thanks in part to them not being run-flats, and grip is very much improved! I've not had chance to really push it yet, only been for a relatively short drive (about a 15 mile round trip to a retail park), and also it's nice and dry/sunny so don't know what they'll be like in the wet yet. Also, they look very smart, I love the sidewall design!

I had PS4's on my old Cooper S, which were also great, but obviously that's a totally different beast to drive so can't really offer any reliable comparison, but these PS5's do seem quieter and feel maybe more stable, BUT as I said, two totally different cars!

I'll report back again when I've had more time with them, and what they're like in the wet (if it rains!).

Can you get a pic of the side wall and tread please Towerz. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
237 Posts
For anyone else who stumbles across this, we've recently fitted PS5's on our 116d. Very satisfied with them, the level of grip is immense - instills a very new level of confidence in the car and the noise is a significant reduction on the budget tyres it was previously on. In terms of handling characteristics, it is a little bit wafty but more than good enough for normal driving and it definitely stands out as a luxury tyre in my opinion. The 'bounce-back' that is typical of BMWs on speedbumps, etc. is bit more noticeable but I feel this is a reasonable trade-off for the excellent absorption of minor imperfections in the road.

Rim protection is usually said to be inferior on Michelins in comparison to something like a Goodyear, but compared to the ASY5 (MFS marking) I can't say there is any huge difference; the rim protection on the PS5 is more than sufficient to prevent kerb rash (obviously don't smash it into the kerb :LOL:).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have PS5 rears fitted. Grip seems excellent etc, just as good as the PS4 but I can’t comment too much as they’re not playing very nicely with the front PS4s. :(

Swaying at higher speeds, so having to run them at 28-30psi all round. If I had ps5 front I think they’d be better.
That's interesting. I had PS4s fitted at the front due to a puncture and was going to swap the rears to PS4s also, but now I can't find any in stock in 245/35/R18. Can only find PS5s now.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I’ve just ordered some PS4 (255x35) from my local garage no problem. black circles couldn’t get them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having swapped from PS4 to PS5 at the front a few months ago, I would say there is little difference between them noise and performance wise. The most noticeable difference is that the ride is slightly firmer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts