Baby BMW Forum banner

Alignment

1443 Views 17 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  doug99
Had my M135i alignment checked after Eibachs and have been told the camber can't be adjusted (pin set up)

They highlight front right camber being green but only just!

Front
Camber
(L) -0.24 (R) -1.08
Toe
(L) 0.06 (R) 0.08

Total Toe
Steer ahead

Rear
Camber
(L) -1.16 (R) -1.24
Toe
(L) 0.12 (R) 0.09

Total Toe
Thrust angle

Opinions guys?
See less See more
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
That's quite a difference between front cambers? Has it been in a front end smash? Buckled wheel?

Mine are 0.2 different.

Steer Ahead and thrust angle should both be zero, and you don't have much rear camber?
Buckled wheel? (Very common with 436m's)

Crap Hunter operator??
marco_polo said:
Buckled wheel? (Very common with 436m's)

Crap Hunter operator??
Cars on brand new 405m's

I might have to go to a different garage and get it retested!
I'd be curious what a 2nd opinion on a different Hunter said?
I'll get it booked in and update
Could the spring change caused issues?
Possibly, if the Left front spring isn't seated correctly?

Park her on a perfectly level surface, and measure from the cross-hairs on the roundel to the middle of the arch, they should be basically identical.
Correct, front camber can't be adjusted.

It can be adjusted at the rear. Rear camber range is - 1.2 to -2 IIRC.

Mine was running - 1.7 at the back but had it tweaked to -1.3 to maximise tyre contact patch to help traction. Works well.
Second opinion had the camber different L to R the other way around! Checked and it states they are within tolerance.

Oddly the back was out and not at measurement given in first alignment and that was only done Thursday!
Hunter systems are great but unfortunately getting a consistent measurement, even from two visits to the same garage can be difficult. If you try two different garages you've got no chance. I think a lot of garages don't ensure their staff are trained properly, sometimes they guys are rushing, and sometimes they just can't be arsed to do a good job.

When discussing alignment issues with a guy at my local place (that uses Hunter) he said that BMWs are particularly prone to alignment issues. He said they're always going out of alignment. I've owned mine for only 9 months and already had it adjusted twice. I've only done 5500 miles! The back wheels were fine both times but the fronts were out each time.

If you can put up with the car being slightly out of alignment then it's probably better to live with it than keep paying to get it realligned every few thousand miles. Tyres are expensive, but so is alignment if you get it done often.

My wife doesn't even notice when the cars not tracking properly anyway.
See less See more
I don't see why BMW would be more prone than other cars but I can see why a misaligned BMW might be more problematic than other cars, maybe that's what was meant ?
No he definitely said the wheel alignment on BMWs drifts off quicker/more often than other makes of car, based on his experience doing wheel alignment.
I don't know why that would be either, and I doubt he's ever kept a specific record of it, but it was an interesting point nonetheless.
I think he maybe referring to older BMWs like E46s etc were the control arm bushes wear very and move a lot.

TBH, I don't listen too much to what these garages say; the same as tyre fitters, as it's generally rubbish.
Correct, front camber can't be adjusted.

It can be adjusted at the rear. Rear camber range is - 1.2 to -2 IIRC.

Mine was running - 1.7 at the back but had it tweaked to -1.3 to maximise tyre contact patch to help traction. Works well.
Hi BP and Merry Christmas. Thank you for all your help on the forums. Has helped me out massively.

I am about to to M4 LCAs, but also want to adjust my rear camber when I get my alignment done. I am at -1.5, but am thinking about reducing it. Would -1.3 cause uneven tire wear?

I basically want to strike a good balance and don't want to sacrifice my tire life!
Hi BP and Merry Christmas. Thank you for all your help on the forums. Has helped me out massively.

I am about to to M4 LCAs, but also want to adjust my rear camber when I get my alignment done. I am at -1.5, but am thinking about reducing it. Would -1.3 cause uneven tire wear?

I basically want to strike a good balance and don't want to sacrifice my tire life!
Hi Doug - Many thanks for your kind words.

I ran about -1.3 at the rear on my my m135i with full m4 arms upfront. Rear tyre wear was fine as my toe angle was about -0.05deg IIRC.

Cheers and season’s greetings, BP
Reactions: 1
Hi Doug - Many thanks for your kind words.

I ran about -1.3 at the rear on my my m135i with full m4 arms upfront. Rear tyre wear was fine as my toe angle was about -0.05deg IIRC.

Cheers and season’s greetings, BP
Thank you so much, BP! Happy Holidays.
- Doug
Reactions: 1
1 - 18 of 18 Posts