Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I think my xenon low beams are pointing too low and was thinking of adjusting them. Has anyone done this? I heard the dealers could do this, but they'll charge about £30 for the job!

I found a post for adjusting the angle for E90 with a helpful pic, but couldn't find it for the 1 series.

A quick look under the bonnet around the headlamp unit doesn't reveal any obvious adjustment screw. The only thing I found is a white plastic hex socket screw, but it just doesn't seem like it. Can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
No worries. Let us know how you get on as I sometimes feel my xenons are aimed a bit low. I presume they tend to adjust them to the lower end of the legal limits. Whilst I'm on the subject of xenons does anybody else get the feeling that their lights flicker slightly? I can't make my mind up if they actually do, or whether it is normal and is just them constantly adjusting or something that makes them look like they are flickering. :?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
AndyM said:
No worries. Let us know how you get on as I sometimes feel my xenons are aimed a bit low. I presume they tend to adjust them to the lower end of the legal limits. Whilst I'm on the subject of xenons does anybody else get the feeling that their lights flicker slightly? I can't make my mind up if they actually do, or whether it is normal and is just them constantly adjusting or something that makes them look like they are flickering. :?
I get this effect when pulling off my drive and driving over the traffic calming measures by me, they adjust all the time, acceleration braking etc so I'm not worried about it. I've also noticed that if it has been raining during the night then the water that has beaded starts to roll off over the headlamp then this will also give an effect of flickering.

Whilst I am comfortable adjusting halogens I'm not sure I would adjust Xenon's as the effects of blinding would be more severe.

·
Registered
406 Posts
tminal said:
I get this effect when pulling off my drive and driving over the traffic calming measures by me, they adjust all the time, acceleration braking etc so I'm not worried about it. I've also noticed that if it has been raining during the night then the water that has beaded starts to roll off over the headlamp then this will also give an effect of flickering.
Could well be normal then, cheers.

Whilst I am comfortable adjusting halogens I'm not sure I would adjust Xenon's as the effects of blinding would be more severe.
Misaligned headlights whether halogen or xenon will be blinding full stop. I would get the car on a proper machine like they use on the MOT test and get them adjusted properly to the correct height.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think xenon being an arc lamp running on AC power does flicker. Although I doubt it will be visible as it runs on 400 Hz. I think the flicker is visible only at start-up or if there's a fault in the ballast.

Having said that I'm sure I can just about tell it flickers...

I haven't been able to adjust the angle yet. I think I need to be quite conservative, as I don't wanna blind oncoming traffic. But as it's set up now, it's difficult to see the road ahead on a motorway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think you can adjust xenons. They adjust themselves since they have sensors on the rear suspension to adjust their height and they also have a level sensor to lower when going up an uphill.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My facelift model with xenons definitely has some adjustment, both horizontal and vertical. It's the white disc with a hex key socket in it that was referred to here earlier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.