Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, yesterday I started some testing;

Reason: I would really like to drive with the 18inch BBS CH-R ET40 with the 245/35-18 MPSS tyres.
Asked a friend for 12mm spacers (which he still had) and ordered 10 longer bolts to start testing.

Setup of the car:
- stock wheels
- Eibach lowered
- M4 LCA + TS
- 2 degree negative camber at the front/1.6 degree negative camber at the back

Setting 1:
Complete stock

Especially the rear could use some more poke...
From stock to BBS CH-R would mean
Front: 7,5J ET45 -> 8J ET40, which would mean 0,6+0,5 = 1,1 cm more poke. Stock this sounds perfect, but with the LCA mod, not only the bottom, but also the upper parts are pushed more to the outside.
Rear: 8J ET52 -> 8J ET40, 1,2 cm; sounds perfect on the pictures so far.

Setting 2:
Spacer 12mm at the rear (which would make it match for the BBS CH-R at the rear

TBH this looks a bit too much for me, but perhaps it's also a getting use to thing. At this point I think that Eibach is not lowering enough to make it look good (not planning on other springs....)

Setting 3:
Spacer 12mm at the front, with the rear wheels up front (8J ET52, 245's)

Also a bit too much I'm afraid, although it's not as overdone as it looked to me yesterday.

Notes
- testing with driving (if everything is clear), still to do, expect nothing with spacer in the rear, not totally sure about front
- LCA really push the complete wheel more to the outside, 12mm at the hub, but does someone know how much at the top?
- ATM not sure if I'm willing to go for the BBS CH-R 18 inch :( (was before without any doubt....)
- I'm a bad fotographer....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kasteel said:
- LCA really push the complete wheel more to the outside, 12mm at the hub, but does someone know how much at the top?
Has anyone measured this/does anyone know? I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere before, but can't find it anymore :(.

Update: no rubbing so far, but haven't been to wild (very wet). Planning on testing with GoPro and passenger to make sure :)

(getting used to the look a little bit)

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
I think Et40 8" looks fine with 245/35/18 tyres.

I ran Et34mm 8" wheels with 225/40/18 with M4 LCAs and H&R springs [lower than your car] and no rubbing.

M4 LCAs were 10mm longer than standard LCAs so track is 12mm more each side at tyre contact patch and the top of the tyre moves out by 6-7mm IIRC.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked where it rubbed and it is the same spot as previous members noticed (with LCA, but without TS) :). Not the fender, but the upper part of the front bumper.

Last options/thoughts:
- Would 235/40-18 do the trick, or would this higher tyre cause even more problems?
- ET42 would probably make the tyre hit the strut (and maybe not even enough on the outside)

Could it be that the Eibach is that much softer than the H&R?

·
Super Moderator
65,232 Posts
I suspected taller 235/40 would make matters worse, so went for M235i front springs (which have solved all my issues).

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Kasteel said:
Checked where it rubbed and it is the same spot as previous members noticed (with LCA, but without TS) :). Not the fender, but the upper part of the front bumper.
Comparing side view photos of your car with the white M235i on 2 addicts, I'd say your front wheels look further forward, which begs the question if spacers installed are different

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blind Pugh said:
Kasteel said:
Comparing side view photos of your car with the white M235i on 2 addicts, I'd say your front wheels look further forward, which begs the question if spacers installed are different
I hope to make pictures this weekend from below (before I swicth back :)). The white m235i also has camberplates as well right (could also correct de caster a bit perhaps?).

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Kasteel,

Yes white M235i has camber plates but they will not effect caster angle.

Also different degrees of caster shouldn't be "visible" nor impact how the front wheels sit within the wheel arches when in the straight ahead position.

What were your drivers upgrading TS and LCA in the 1st instance ?

I take it you are now removing TS and/or LCA - why ?

BP

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blind Pugh said:
Kasteel,

Yes white M235i has camber plates but they will not effect caster angle.

Also different degrees of caster shouldn't be "visible" nor impact how the front wheels sit within the wheel arches when in the straight ahead position.

What were your drivers upgrading TS and LCA in the 1st instance ?

I take it you are now removing TS and/or LCA - why ?

BP
Sorry, it looks to me that lower caster angle would make a difference in how far the wheel would sit to the front right? Not sure about the white car if it is looking less towards front, or is.
I'll make pictures from below to check if it is as it should (but I think it is allright).

I'm not removing the TS/LCA, so far completely happy with this mod. This test was actually basicly for the ET40 BBS CH-R with 245 square test, just to see if it would rub and how it would look. Therefor I'm still looking for options, but tbh I don't think it is going to work out with the limitations I bring myself (would like to keep Eibach+LCA/TS+245, which is asking too much as far as it shows now :)). But I'm still open for options :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was planning on doing it Sunday, but forgot that is was my birthday (there was quite some room in my agenda :p), will follow this week. Haven't had any rubbing in between, so only the really hard/extreme compressions will cause it :). (so Nurburgring will also :()

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Switched back :) but totally forgot about the pictures. Gap between strut and tyre is around 5,5mm.

Only options so sar:
- M235i springs
- smaller tyres (225/40-18)
- perhaps ask BBS for ET42 :p

BP, did you had any moment with the lca's rubbing?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Would I be ok to fit the m4 lca and ts and have no rubbing ,car is 2019 m140 ,I have et40 wheels 8j and running stock size 225 tyres With the eibach pro kit , just want to make sure before I order the parts 🤨

·
Super Moderator
65,232 Posts
Yes, no probs. Plenty of room around those skinny tyres.

·
Registered
233 Posts
marco_polo said:
Yes, no probs. Plenty of room around those skinny tyres.
Brilliant Thanks , I'll get them ordered. what's the max tyre size I can go to in the future

·
Registered
233 Posts
Can anyone confirm I will be ok with et40 245 x 35 x 18 up front on m140i with bilstein b6 damptronics and m4 lca and tension struts
thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts