Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently ordered a 1 series and the "Service Inclusive" (5 years or 60k miles) was only £250 - which is good value in my opinion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am also looking into the service pack.
My 123d coupe is now 15 months old and showing 800 miles to go to its first service.(15,000 miles)
Asked my local dealer about it and it must be taken out before the vehicles 1st service.
Quoted £215 for the service which is oil,filter,standard scope etc....,was also informed it is due a brake fluid change in july (2 years from build) costing £75.
So with services coming every 15k roughly and brake fluid changes every 2 years,I hope to get 4 services and 2 brake fluid changes for my £610.
Dont think that is bad at all,hope my maths work out!!
Any thoughts on my plans?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I didnt realise you can take this out before your first service - Is this correct ? I bought my car as a 3 month old used car in Sept 08, and this offer was not available back then.

I would also imagine this would make any future "private" sale of the vehicle far more attractive to the future purchaser....

·
Registered
227 Posts
I inherited a 5 year 'maintenance pack' when I got my car which the original owner had paid £1431.50 for!
Even now 2 months on I don't really know exactly what is covered, but going by that price.....I expect it to be everything (though I doubt that it does!)
Personally, I think it is silly money! but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
263 Posts
xerian56 said:
I inherited a 5 year 'maintenance pack' when I got my car which the original owner had paid £1431.50 for!
Even now 2 months on I don't really know exactly what is covered, but going by that price.....I expect it to be everything (though I doubt that it does!)
Personally, I think it is silly money! but I may be wrong.
Had the "MAINTENANCE" pack on my 5 series. You wont think its silly money, when it goes in for Brakes all round, level 2 service and Brake fluid change - It will seem like a Bargain ! It basically covers all items that would be replaced under general maintenance (even widnscreen wipers) as well as all servicing. BMW were doing it for £500 on Diesels a few years back. Anyone not taking that at the time needed their head checking.......

·
Registered
263 Posts
BMW Service Inclusive

- Oil service

- Oil top-ups between services

- Vehicle-check and standard inspections

- Micro filter

- Renew spark plugs

- Renew brake fluid

- Fuel filter (diesel models only)

BMW Service Inclusive Plus - Old maint pack

- Renew front brake pads and discs

- Renew rear brake pads and discs

- Renew clutch assembly

- Renew wiper blade rubbers

·
Registered
65 Posts
My own personal concern is my 1st service is now due at 15k which means if all my next services are due at 15k intervals I will get 4 inclusive services for my 60,000 mile limit.
If my service intervals start to stretch out to 16-17k+ I will only get 3 services included in my 60,000 limit.
Is 15k a realistic mileage between services or is it because I drive it hard?Hear of poeple getting 20k+ on here between services.
If it works out that I only get the 3 service visits for my £610 its not a great saving and I am as well keeping my money in my wallet (average services are about £210??????)
Think the 60,000 limit is a clever piece of work by bmw just for the scenario I have given,considering they wouldnt be selling the service packs if they were costing them money

·
Registered
19 Posts
Argh, I've just had my first service!

I bought my car with 7k on the clock which was an ex-demo. When I asked about the service pack I was told I couldn't get it as the car wasn't new. Some of you are also saying that I could have got it prior to my first service, doh!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hmm. How much are services?

I didn't go for it when I ordered the car as it was going to cost a further £500 at the time and with indicated service intervals of up to 20k-ish, it seemed moot whether it was necessary.

However, although when I collected the car it was indicating it would like a first service at 17k miles, that has since dropped to 11k miles (car currently has 7k on the clock). I suspect this is due to predominantly town driving.

It's £700 or so for a 6-cylinder 1-series if I buy it before the first service.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The trouble is that, because of the Condition Based Servicing, it isn't easy to predict how much servicing is likely to cost in advance. I looked at a service inclusive pack when I bought my 130i from new three years ago, and on balance I decided not to bother. As it turns out, I've saved money by not taking the service inclusive deal, as my car only required two services in the three years covered, and neither cost me more than £100.

Bear in mind that these are like warranties - they're a bit of a gamble, and the dealer won't be offering you a gamble unless he's pretty sure the odds are stacked in his favour...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very interesting info and timely for me too as I'm going to go through my first service in 2k miles. The rate I'm clocking up the miles, I'm going to go through 60k miles far sooner than 5 years so whatever the car tells me it needs in that mileage, I'll have to get done anyway. I was looking at the inclusive plus deal which seems to cover brakes, discs and clutch too but its a big price difference at £1,500. What's folks experience of the cost of these items under normal servicing? As I part run my own business, I can knock some of the cost off courtesy of Mr Darling :D

Cheers

·
Registered
361 Posts
karlak said:
BMW Service Inclusive

- Oil service

- <<Oil top-ups between services>>

- Micro filter

- Renew spark plugs

- Renew brake fluid

Does this mean that if you have Service Inclusive and your oil level is low, you can go to the dealer and they will top it up for you?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmm interesting figures there speedski. My local stealer is looking for £230 for an oil and microfilter change and that's coming up at 16,000 miles. So at that rate I'll need 4 during the 60,000 miles coverage. With your figures of a brake fluid change and two inspections, that takes me up over £1700 for a £610 outlay. Surely I'm missing something here?

Checking my OBC, at lunchtime and it looks like I'd be going through 2 sets of front pads and one set of rears during the 60k miles so how much would they be to replace (plus probably a set of front discs too I'd have thought. Maybe the £1500 outlay is starting to look a bit of a bargain too..........

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
bowende said:
karlak said:
BMW Service Inclusive

- Oil service

- <<Oil top-ups between services>>

- Micro filter

- Renew spark plugs

- Renew brake fluid

Does this mean that if you have Service Inclusive and your oil level is low, you can go to the dealer and they will top it up for you?
No, they will do oil changes but not top ups, i checked when I had my 1st 1er.

So glad I bought my 5 year/60K miles service pack for £190!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
speedski said:
2.0 diesel engine

£170 for front and rear discs from EBC
£56 for front and rear pads equivilent to OEM quality.

For me, the non plus seems better value - especially as you need to consider there's no point taking a swap to a dealer unless it needs a stamp in the book...

OVERALL I don't get it, it seems insane value for money and given you can take it out UP to your first service i think I might take it out the week it goes in, just so the first 8 months of the 5 year deal aren't wasted :)
Unfortunately, it would be back-dated to date of registration.

·
Registered
65 Posts
According to the bmw service section of their website,top ups of oil between services is covered with the £610 service inclusive pack.And yes it is 5years or 60,000 miles from vehicle registration.
On the subject of discs and pads my local dealer says they do not necessarily need changed at the date specified by the on board display,they measure the thickness of pads and discs to see if they are still within spec.
So probably not a good bet to go with the inclusive plus £1540 option if most of your miles are motorway use (inclusive plus also covers clutch too)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I can see the point about the discs and pads so I'll give that a miss but I do feel the service inclusive pack coming on.......... :spotman:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Remember this pack is also transferrable to a new owner if you sell. Heck of a positive selling point :)

Not saying you would get more money because of it, but certainly makes it a more attractive buy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just purchased the service inclusive pack today :D Went through the dealer that introduced me to the 1 Series but couldn't find me the right car at the right time. I figured it was only fair as they'd put a lot of time and effort into pitching to me and I plan to put the car there for servicing too, as the local dealer up here is in my opinion :****: ........... :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.