Baby BMW Forum banner
  • The monthly Photo Competition is back! Click HERE to enter
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’ve decided to get my 313m’s powder coated. I’ve been thinking of satin black or possibly matte black for the longest time. I don’t like gloss black as it looks too dark (wet) and shows dirt very quickly.

I also don’t think silver works on space grey as there is no contrast. Current 261’s are silver.

The car itself is an E82 in space grey with gloss black kidney and window surrounds.

Other than that it’s just lowered on Eibach’s. No other modifications.

Since I’m now having it done professionally, I’m
torn between satin black or gunmetal (maybe even space grey) or the special colours such as chrome black etc.

Diamond cut would be ideal, but I’ve heard it will corrode again and frankly it’s way too expensive compared to powder coat.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
personally I am not so keen on black rims as it always shows up the tyres as not being black especially when theyve done a few miles and faded by sun.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I've had satin black wheels in the past and liked the look of them on my sparkling graphite e87. They hid the dirt and brake dust well but made the tyres look brown if not kept on top of.
I had some 313's prior in a standard diamond cut finish and they look superb as they were.
Would still have them if they played nicely with my brake and suspension set up.
It maybe a bit more expensive but for me it's well worth it.
Protect them well, go easy on the harsh fall out removers and watch the kerbs!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is harder than I thought. I had them booked in for tomorrow, but I’m now in doubt!

Diamond cut is £384 for the set, yet powder is £288. Actually not as expensive as I initially thought!

Will diamond cut rims look nice on space grey? Or is it too light of a shade?

Regarding tyres - this is exactly why I don’t like gloss rims since the tyres look almost grey! I had the impression satin/matte wheels will almost match the tyres.

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
I’d go for orbit grey/dark gunmetal diamond cut for max brake dust hiding and contrast without black, the satin black wheels on my last car always looked filthy lol.

Give them a couple of coats of something like CarPro DLUX, after 9 months mine still clean up with nothing more than a blast from the pressure washer 👍

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

my old E82 in space grey with Feric1 grey diamond cut 313's

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d go for orbit grey/dark gunmetal diamond cut for max brake dust hiding and contrast without black, the satin black wheels on my last car always looked filthy lol.

Give them a couple of coats of something like CarPro DLUX, after 9 months mine still clean up with nothing more than a blast from the pressure washer
I’ve seen quite a lot of Space Greys with dark grey gunmetal wheels I must admit I think they look smarter than just black wheels.

·
Super Moderator
65,171 Posts
^ Those black rims look awful, to me.

Anything but black, I’d probably go hyper-silver myself (as they look larger / more prominent). Anthracite would be lower maintenance, if that’s a consideration.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Those black rims look awful, to me.

Anything but black, I’d probably go hyper-silver myself (as they look larger / more prominent). Anthracite would be lower maintenance, if that’s a consideration.
I think I’m set on anthracite or gunmetal (whichever is darker) but unsure as to whether to go for gloss or matte finish.

Matte anthracite seems to match tyres really well.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shadow chrome?
You get the brightness of the face/spokes contrasting with the darker barrels.
Funny that - After 1,000,000 hours of searching, I’ve narrowed it down to:

Anthracite
Gunmetal
Shadow Chrome
Hyper Black

Gunmetal is apparently darker than anthracite! If so, I will pick gunmetal but unsure whether to go matte, semi gloss of gloss.

Shadow chrome and Hyper black are both really interesting. Both seem to be a greyish colour but with more gloss/chrome reflection? I’m just not sure if either of them match SGM!

On the bright side - I’m now against black wheels

·
Administrator
4,003 Posts
Shadow chrome and hyper black are basically the same thing. SC was a BMW original finish from the E39, but it's very labour intensive to do properly; primer, gloss black powder coat, lead-based chrome mist coat, clearcoat. Because 'real' SC is a multi-coat finish it looks mental - depending on the lighting different parts of the wheel will look anywhere from black to gunmetal to full chrome. HB is usually just powder coat trying to look similar to SC, so it's more like a high-contrast gunmetal but you're getting 75% of the finish for zero extra cost over a normal powder job. Both look ace in my book. Both are about as far from matte/satin as possible too :eek2:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you're keen on a satin or matt finish then hyper black and shadow chrome won't be for you.
Where are you?
I got mine done at a place in Tewkesbury and they had loads of wheels you could take out and put against the car. Made my mind up being able to physically see what the look would be.
I’m in London. I’ve found a place called fawheels, they have good reviews and prices are reasonable I think. But that’s a good shout, I will call and see if they have any samples for me to see on the day.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shadow chrome and hyper black are basically the same thing. SC was a BMW original finish from the E39, but it's very labour intensive to do properly; primer, gloss black powder coat, lead-based chrome mist coat, clearcoat. Because 'real' SC is a multi-coat finish it looks mental - depending on the lighting different parts of the wheel will look anywhere from black to gunmetal to full chrome. HB is usually just powder coat trying to look similar to SC, so it's more like a high-contrast gunmetal but you're getting 75% of the finish for zero extra cost over a normal powder job. Both look ace in my book. Both are about as far from matte/satin as possible too :eek2:
Cheers, I was very confused as some forums I read did mention they are the same!

The only reason I’m a little reluctant towards full gloss or hyper/chrome finish is that Space Grey is a very dull grey colour and in my mind, flashy gloss/chrome wheels will draw too much attention to the wheels than the entire car. I could be wrong though since I’ve not seen one in person yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts