Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I know that this is another tire size question, but I am going to invest in new rims and tires this winter and can't figure out what rim size to get. So here is what I would like to achieve:
The car is m140i xDrive (if that matters) and is fitted with 225/35 R19 - front and 245/30 R19 - back summer tires at the moment. What I want to do is to get new set of wheels and put on them winter tires with size 245/35 (or maybe 40) R18 square setup, but don't want to put any spacers. So the question is what ET should I go for on 8j rim (planning on getting 8j rims?
The second question would be if I want to go to 245/35 R19 square setup during the summer will the front rub on 8j ET36 rim (that's what I have at the moment on front)?
If anyone experienced such setup, please share some info!

·
Registered
M140i
114 Posts
@marco_polo is the go-to for this sort of stuff, but from conversations I've had with him in the past over a similar question; 245 at ET40 on 8J's would work for a square setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, I actually read a lot of threads similar on the forum, but got very mixed information about it and wasn't sure if ET40 would be fine. Now after reading your post and a few other posts recently I am starting to lean towards getting ET40 in front. And this means that I will have to swap my front ET36 19 inch 8j rims with ET40 rim to fit the summer tires next summer as well. Too bad I like my rims but they have to go :D
Now I wonder if the rim is not 8j but 8.5j would there be any issue? I wanted to get BMW OEM rims but can't find anything at 18 inch 8j ET40 its always 8.5j or 7.5j :(

·
Registered
M140i
114 Posts
Again, going by what I've been told by marco, 8.5J ET40 might make contact at the front and you may need a 3mm spacer. I haven't made the switch yet so I'm just telling you what I've found from similar thread-digging and converstations on the forum.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you're winterising because you might end up in snow, then be aware that conventional snow chains won't fit most 18" wheels. You don't mention the wheel spec, but I'm assuming 8J or 8.5J as either will leave too little space between the interior of the tyre and the suspension/brakes. Check with your Owner's manual or garage and you'll probably find that if you need chains, they'll have to be one of the front-fitting (I mean front of the wheel, not the front wheels)type like my Spike Spiders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I intend to use 8j on front for sure, 8.5 is too big and I don't need anything bigger than 245 on front so don't need 8.5 there. I am going square setup because of the xDrive, and at the moment I don't have wheels yet. I started the discussion in order to figure out what wheels to buy for the winter. My summer wheels are 8j ET36 19" on front and 8.5j ET47 19" on the back with 225/35/R19 and 245/30/R19 tires. My idea is to go 245 tires for both winter and summer setups, but since I have almost brand new Michelin Pilots Sport 4S tires the summer setup will probably wait 1 more season. From what I read for the summer setup there is no way to fit 245 tire on that 8j ET36 rim.. so that means the summer rims will have to go. For the winter setup I am planning on buying BOLA CSR wheels with spec 8j ET40 18". Just debating if I should go front and back with that ET measurement or should I go with ET45 on the back, because I will rotate tires so don't want to have to change tires on them. I hope now I managed to explain where all these questions came from :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts