Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2013 125i which has covered 110,000 miles, I have covered 4k in 12 months (since owning) - short journeys. I am due an oil change and would like your recommendations. I believe 5w30 is what is needed? However the BMW dealer has stated 0w30 is what is listed. This link is helpful. I will be doing the same miles and drive moderately.

I am looking at Castrol Edge (on offer from Halfords), what would your tips be?

I will source a genuine filter kit from BMW.

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
I always go with dealer oil and very least what dealer recommends, others may argue that, 8 years with 2 BMW's no engine problems, speaks for itself

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I've always been told the grade is less relevant than ensuring whatever oil you buy meets the relevant BMW spec for your car (eg Ll04, etc etc.). Do you have an owners manual telling you what spec you need?

Reactions: nazali

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for your replies. After checking the history, I have decided to take it the local main dealer. A independent service center could not update the idrive service log, I am aware that you can perform service resets.

My car was not supplied with a manual in the drivers pack, it may of been misplaced since new.

It is a nice car and deserves the best!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Hi, thanks for your replies. After checking the history, I have decided to take it the local main dealer. A independent service center could not update the idrive service log, I am aware that you can perform service resets.

My car was not supplied with a manual in the drivers pack, it may of been misplaced since new.

It is a nice car and deserves the best!
The manual is in the i-drive. Was shocked when my bike came with a paper manual!!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Make sure the dealership is giving you Value Service pricing which is applicable to cars over 3 years old. They like to charge their top whack prices given half a chance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure the dealership is giving you Value Service pricing which is applicable to cars over 3 years old. They like to charge their top whack prices given half a chance.
I weighed up the options of going private VS dealer, dealer won! £271 for; 0w30 oil, Microfilter (I had confirmation this is the pollen filter) and brake fluid (idrive/key updated correctly). Does this price seem within BMW dealership pricing?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have not heard of that Steve, can you explain a bit more please. Cheers

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Have a read of this Value Service

I've always paid the lower Value Service prices for my car. Until last year. My dealership (may be unique to them or across the whole dealer network) now says the Value Service prices only apply when booked online so I got caught out having booked it in the showroom when passing one day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I have a 2013 125i which has covered 110,000 miles, I have covered 4k in 12 months (since owning) - short journeys. I am due an oil change and would like your recommendations. I believe 5w30 is what is needed? However the BMW dealer has stated 0w30 is what is listed. This link is helpful. I will be doing the same miles and drive moderately.

I am looking at Castrol Edge (on offer from Halfords), what would your tips be?

I will source a genuine filter kit from BMW.

Thanks
I always make sure when I change my engine oil that viscosity, approval and brands are all to my liking.

5w30 would be more suitable for hot temperatures and 0w30 low temperatures - I tend to go for the latter since for some reason my oil change always seems to occur right before winter haha!

Approval as you correctly mentioned is a must - only go for those that have the correct approvals as per your manual.

I used to be on Castrol too but have since switched to Liqui Moly - both are renowned brands that should have the required approvals. Normally on the product page the approvals are all listed.

BMW dealers tend to always be a rip off tbh, many online distributors do much cheaper kit packages including oil and genuine filters, if you do a quick search many should pop up!

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always make sure when I change my engine oil that viscosity, approval and brands are all to my liking.

5w30 would be more suitable for hot temperatures and 0w30 low temperatures - I tend to go for the latter since for some reason my oil change always seems to occur right before winter haha!

Approval as you correctly mentioned is a must - only go for those that have the correct approvals as per your manual.

I used to be on Castrol too but have since switched to Liqui Moly - both are renowned brands that should have the required approvals. Normally on the product page the approvals are all listed.

BMW dealers tend to always be a rip off tbh, many online distributors do much cheaper kit packages including oil and genuine filters, if you do a quick search many should pop up!
I forgot to mention, Liqui Moly Cera Tec is also a good addition, works like a charm for me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I've been looking around for liqui moly 5W30 engine oils myself, and it seems like CSP and ML Performance offers the best price for these

Liqui Moly Top Tec 4600 5W 30 5l ML Car Parts UK | ML Performance
Never heard of CSP tbh, but I get all my service essentials from ML Performance talk to Marshall over there and he will take good care of you. Filters, spark plugs, oil, batteries they have most things in one website.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Have a read of this Value Service

I've always paid the lower Value Service prices for my car. Until last year. My dealership (may be unique to them or across the whole dealer network) now says the Value Service prices only apply when booked online so I got caught out having booked it in the showroom when passing one day.
Thanks Steve, I missed your post. Do we know the diference between a value service and normal? Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts