Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just brought a 2005 Bmw 116i I have had it for about 2 weeks it seemed to drive well but noticed it had a little chain rattle on cold mornings. On this day I had been out and about doing a few things and the car didn't show any signs of problems untill I had to go look for a child's lost school shoes so I pull up at park turn car off which it did as normal then when I went to start it again 2 mins later it won't start it was like I had a flat battery so went to jumpstart it which it would wind over but it would not start so off she went on back of a tow truck. my partner said he had heard some noise comming from under the glove box which I passed on to the garage who has said that that could not seem to get it to go so the tested my compression and have said that it has half what it should have which has confused the hell out of me as they said it wasn't giving any fault codes but also something was draining the battery fast. Any Help or Advice is welcomed as I have Ben told that it is not worth fixing as I will need a new motor.

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
Sudden refusal to start and very low compression on an N45 is a pretty reliable indicator the timing chain has snapped, especially if it was rattling before.

It's usually cheaper to replace the engine than it is to tear it down and rebuild the top end. Can the garage source a reconditioned one?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts