Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've been trying to keep track of all the various threads on here about upgrading an E87's suspension, but i just need a bit of clarification please.

Last MOT observed that the fron control arm bushes are showing signs of wear and a rear damper is misting. The car is on 112k and had the front dampers replaced at 90k due to misting too.

So i'm taking this oppourtunity to perhaps refresh a few key components and try to get a bit more compliance and stability in the process.

My plan is to replace the rear dampers with OEMs, but upgrade the contorl arms to M3 versions.

from what i can decipher, i need the following components to overhaul the control arm set up:

Front
JTC1428
JTC1429
JTC1430
JTC1431

Rear
JTC1423 or MeyleHD 316 035 0005
JTC1424 or MeyleHD 316 035 0006
JTC1426
JTC1427

Addtional
37142283867 (Xenon Rod)
34522283017 (rear ABS Tube Brackets) *2
07129905817 (M6 Nuts for reason unknown) *2

However, after reading additional threads on here, i am now thinkning i also need some rear subframe bushes too?
Powerflex Rear Subframe Front Bush PFR5-420
and
Powerflex Rear Subframe Rear Bush PFR5-422
from
POWERFLEX | BMW 1 Series E81, E82, E87 & E88 | Suspension Bushes ?

Assuming the dampers will be replaced by the mechanic, are these the only additional parts i need followed by a 4 wheel alignment?

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
Definitely don't need replacement subframe bushes unless yours are knackered. Subframe inserts are a great idea to tighten up the rear end, but they're not a while-you're-in-there job for the mechanic, they'd be additional labour (much less than full bushes mind). Powerflex part numbers for the inserts are PFR5-419 and PFR5-421, will be around £110 for all 4. Whiteline's KDT-918 full kit is roughly half the price but a firmer compound, although even as an NVH wimp I found them absolutely fine.

Definitely worth fitting Koni bump stops for the rear, part number 71.34.42.000.0 available from Larkspeed - and unlike the subframe bits these should be zero labour, old ones will be coming off anyway 👍

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification.

The car is never tracked and seldom pushed hard on the roads either.

So the nessecary compoents are those listed in Front/Rear/Addtional but I would also benefit from new rear bump stops too.

Any front bump stops to add to this?

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
Replacing the front bump stops means disassembling the struts, you're talking 1-2hrs extra labour. Not worth it this time round IMHO, save them for when you next have the struts apart anyway.

Just looking at your list, you've got front and back the wrong way round (not an issue, just pointing it out lol). Re the front tension struts, the Meyle HD option is much better suited to road use from what I understand. Under additional, 34522283017 can be optionally replaced with zip ties to save about £50. The other two additional components are only necessary if you've got xenons.

I'd add drop links if you've not done them already - Meyle HD parts are 316 060 0016/HD, 316 060 0017/HD and 316 060 0020/HD x2. Will make a big difference if yours are knackered!

Last point, might be worth ordering up replacement mounts as well as nuts/bolts/washers for parts that don't include them - by 116k the rear shock mounts are likely to be in sh*t state, and rust might have set in on any of the fixings. Mounts would be best going for OEM Lemforder, for fixings ask Cotswold/your local dealership parts as they're usually cheaper bought individually 👍

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both,

so i should be safe with the below (my car has Xenons):

Front
JTC1423 or MeyleHD 316 035 0005
JTC1424 or MeyleHD 316 035 0006
JTC1426
JTC1427
MeyleHD 316 060 0016/HD
MeyleHD 316 060 0017/HD

Rear
JTC1428
JTC1429
JTC1430
JTC1431
MeyleHD 316 060 0020/HD *2
Rear Shock Mount (Part Number(s) unknown) *2

Addtional
37142283867 (Xenon Rod)
07129905817 (M6 Nuts for Rod) *2

Ideal but not required:
KDT918 (Subframe Mount Bushing Insert)

Looking at Schmiedmann and Autodoc, these parts are equating to around £600, sound about right?

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
For genuine BMW parts try Cotswold's sponsor section.

For the M3 arms, try TRW's Amazon store.

Make sure you're accounting for import fees, VAT and duty with Schmiedmann if/where necessary.

Prices have gone up recently so whilst I'd love to say £600 is too high I don't know anymore :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all,

@wrellio - as im not changing the dampers/springs, i would need everything on your list bar the the first 4 options in Major parts and all in the minor parts list?

I'll price it all up and see what we get to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
thanks all,

@wrellio - as im not changing the dampers/springs, i would need everything on your list bar the the first 4 options in Major parts and all in the minor parts list?

I'll price it all up and see what we get to.
Camber plates are still beneficial on stock suspension, so you would benefit by including them. They sit on top of the OEM top mount, so will require the camber pins to be removed, and will raise the front ride height by a few mm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for anyone else following this thread or considering some upgrade themselves, Whiteline currently have the Subframe Inserts on sale so i managed to bag mine for £45 delivered

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
Orange Konis are their budget/non-adjustable dampers optimised for use with stock springs. The Bilstein B12 Pro kit is arguably a better choice if you want a drop as the B6 dampers are optimised for a lowering springs instead. Plus they're monotube!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My origianl plan was to replicate wrevilo23's list bar the Bilsteins and Camber plates.
To be honest, it's my wifes car that gets around 3k usage a year, i'm not really interested in a hardcore driving machine, just more compliance than what we have currently.

probbaly easier to stick with OEM dampers and springs, and just update the other hardware that is worn/wearing.

this forum can get you spending a lot, very quickly!

·
Registered
460 Posts
You can get a set of Koni dampers and Apex springs for a little over £400, which is pretty good value at the moment. The H&R spring version is under £400 at Autodoc.

I'm investigating them for my 335i, which feels a bit like an old American car in terms of its vertical movement when it hits compressions at high speed. Here is what Koni UK have told me.

The STR.T damper is effectively just a non-adjustable SPORT unit. The damping forces would be very similar to a SPORT damper on its minimum setting, so I doubt any difference would be noticeable.

The other main difference is that the SPORT shocks are all fully re-buildable whereas a lot of the STR.T shocks are sealed units.

·
Administrator
4,029 Posts
probbaly easier to stick with OEM dampers and springs, and just update the other hardware that is worn/wearing.

this forum can get you spending a lot, very quickly!
Agreed on both counts!

I'm investigating STR.T for my 335i, which feels a bit like an old American car in terms of its vertical movement when it hits compressions at high speed. Here is what Koni UK have told me.
Have you checked the price of their SA dampers? I've always had the impression the 3er crowd are more impressed by them than the 1er crowd is, it might be that the larger/heavier car is a better suit to the variable damping.

PS: Pics of the 335 in the other cars section please :biggrin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just the Meyle parts left to order from Wrevillo's list then I'm all set to start getting it all installed.

anyone have a reconmendation for the supply of these? Autodoc is currently hovering around £300 for these parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just reading through some DIY guides,

is it actually the case that the whiteline subframe inserts kit will not fit a 2007 LCI Manual?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts