Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have the boot and the performance intake fitted!

The engine sound will change a bit from a deeper to a higher note... bit more racy! but its no big difference!
Also i felt the throttle response/pickup is slightly better, but this is also minor!
Looks cool in the engine bay tho... :p
and you get rid of that flimsy/weird standard tube with the sound generator ( never really sure that worked...) thing wich is not a closed air intake system!
Airflow to the throttle body should be less interupted....
So yeah,for the little money... why not do it !!! ;)

Mark.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the boot and the performance intake fitted!

The engine sound will change a bit from a deeper to a higher note... bit more racy! but its no big difference!
Also i felt the throttle response/pickup is slightly better, but this is also minor!
Looks cool in the engine bay tho... :p
and you get rid of that flimsy/weird standard tube with the sound generator ( never really sure that worked...) thing wich is not a closed air intake system!
Airflow to the throttle body should be less interupted....
So yeah,for the little money... why not do it !!! ;)

Mark.

Thanks so much mate, that's great.

For the money can't go wrong really

·
Registered
2005 BMW 130i
112 Posts
seems like mod for the sake of a mod, agree with Chris Jackson's post in the 130i fb group:

"BMW Engineers spent massive amounts of engineering budget on the N52AFs intake system (its very complex!), the induction resonance chamber this pipe replaces undoes the tuning they did of the volume of the intake which is designed to line up intake pulses and provide power/torque increases at certain RPMs, multiple of them with DISA... (in exactly the same way as scavenging does on tuned length headers)
This is literally replacing hours of engineering time and money because pretty colored pipe 🙂, which is fair enough if thats your thing.
The mishimoto pipes are made in the same factory as the $5 aliexpress one by the way, they make them for everyone and stick whatever logo you want on."
BMW 130i Owners Unite | A must do mod for all owners . | Facebook

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems like mod for the sake of a mod, agree with Chris Jackson's post in the 130i fb group:

"BMW Engineers spent massive amounts of engineering budget on the N52AFs intake system (its very complex!), the induction resonance chamber this pipe replaces undoes the tuning they did of the volume of the intake which is designed to line up intake pulses and provide power/torque increases at certain RPMs, multiple of them with DISA... (in exactly the same way as scavenging does on tuned length headers)
This is literally replacing hours of engineering time and money because pretty colored pipe 🙂, which is fair enough if thats your thing.
The mishimoto pipes are made in the same factory as the $5 aliexpress one by the way, they make them for everyone and stick whatever logo you want on."
BMW 130i Owners Unite | A must do mod for all owners . | Facebook
Tbf that's right, thanks for that mate, never looked at it like that

·
Administrator
4,015 Posts
Chris Jackson's post in the 130i fb group
The "company knows best" take is usually just "here's my opinion backed up by a vague reference to authority with zero evidence". Matey boy follows this with a snide comment about pretty colours for a few extra facebook argument points. He's not technically wrong about the resonator, but that's not its only job; another is to quieten the intake noise (replaced with fake noise piped into the cabin on the 130i). The aftermarket boots get rid of that, so they do more than just add pretty colours.

I've had the stock 130i boot with sound generator, 125i version with no sound generator, and Mishi boot. Couldn't tell a lick of difference performance wise between them, and each virtual dyno plot based on Bimmerlink datalogs was within margin of error of identical. Obviously not a proper dyno run, but as a back to back comparison it's better than just claiming someone else knows better 🤷‍♂️

I'm still running the Mishi boot because it makes the exhaust note raspier at higher RPMs. I don't mind losing an immeasurable amount of torque as a trade off!

·
Registered
705 Posts
The "company knows best" take is usually just "here's my opinion backed up by a vague reference to authority with zero evidence". Matey boy follows this with a snide comment about pretty colours for a few extra facebook argument points. He's not technically wrong about the resonator, but that's not its only job; another is to quieten the intake noise (replaced with fake noise piped into the cabin on the 130i). The aftermarket boots get rid of that, so they do more than just add pretty colours.

I've had the stock 130i boot with sound generator, 125i version with no sound generator, and Mishi boot. Couldn't tell a lick of difference performance wise between them, and each virtual dyno plot based on Bimmerlink datalogs was within margin of error of identical. Obviously not a proper dyno run, but as a back to back comparison it's better than just claiming someone else knows better 🤷‍♂️

I'm still running the Mishi boot because it makes the exhaust note raspier at higher RPMs. I don't mind losing an immeasurable amount of torque as a trade off!
Agree with this... (y)

Mark.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My view after probably 95,000 miles across 2 different 130i.

I found the BMW Performance intake + BMW Performance exhaust + the stock sound generator pipe created too much unwanted boom in the cabin at 70mph gentle uphill/light throttle/head wind situations.
Without the BMW Performance parts it was fine.. But all 3 together, it was unwelcome noise.

So the Mishimoto hose was swapped in and it's helped remove some unwanted noise into the cabin. It's a win in that respect.
The noise is now when you want it, not a drone when cruising.
I've noticed no performance increase or decrease and MPG has stayed bang on. (I track my MPG manually on Fuelly)

Any old pipe will do.
Why BMW spent countless hours and many $$$ designing and testing this ellaborate pipe with a silly sound generator, I really don't know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts