Baby BMW Forum banner
101 - 120 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
RSolider said:
Coconut4 said:
RSolider said:
I've had a 128ti on order since early June with the original delivery date being the end of Sept, which then moved to Dec then Jan and now I've been told May production with the possibility of a June delivery. Sound system was originally unavailable along with the deletion of wireless charging but since then my tech pack has been removed and I've heard that the touch screen is being taken off the US models of the car. The dealer has said the 128ti cars have been one of the worst affected by all of this...

Decided to cancel the car as waiting for another 6 months to get a car that may end up being a basic model seems pointless, I've gone out and bought an M135i instead. Good luck to those still waiting!
Was yours a lease order or a PCP? And which dealer was it (if you don't mind me asking)? It appears there have been some odd things going on with Arnold Clark orders, for example.
My order was with Sytner BMW Sheffield on a PCP deal.
Hmm that's slightly concerning, given I ordered mine on PCP in September.

·
Registered
4 Posts
RSolider said:
I've had a 128ti on order since early June with the original delivery date being the end of Sept, which then moved to Dec then Jan and now I've been told May production with the possibility of a June delivery. Sound system was originally unavailable along with the deletion of wireless charging but since then my tech pack has been removed and I've heard that the touch screen is being taken off the US models of the car. The dealer has said the 128ti cars have been one of the worst affected by all of this...

Decided to cancel the car as waiting for another 6 months to get a car that may end up being a basic model seems pointless, I've gone out and bought an M135i instead. Good luck to those still waiting!
Reading this what you've done makes perfect sense. I was lucky enough to get one of the first 128tis in the country, my delivery was December 15 last year. I do wonder if there's something more than the chip shortage going on here, whether BMW has decided that it overspecced or underpriced the 128ti compared to the M135i, and they saw demand for the M135i drop so much that they've decided to throttle production of the 128ti and reduce the specs to make it less available and less good value. Which is a shame as it's a brilliant car and I'd love to see more of them on the road, but given they seem so difficult to get and are considerably less appealing without the available tech, if I were buying now, I'd be having serious second thoughts too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
dallardice said:
RSolider said:

Reading this what you've done makes perfect sense. I was lucky enough to get one of the first 128tis in the country, my delivery was December 15 last year. I do wonder if there's something more than the chip shortage going on here, whether BMW has decided that it overspecced or underpriced the 128ti compared to the M135i, and they saw demand for the M135i drop so much that they've decided to throttle production of the 128ti and reduce the specs to make it less available and less good value. Which is a shame as it's a brilliant car and I'd love to see more of them on the road, but given they seem so difficult to get and are considerably less appealing without the available tech, if I were buying now, I'd be having serious second thoughts too.
Very valid point. I too got lucky and collected mine from Sytner High Wycombe on 31st Dec, fully specced apart from a couple of things I didn't want. I love the car and all the toys with it, and would be having second thoughts about getting one now with so many of the options removed. :(

I've actually only ever seen one other 128ti on the road! Hopefully bodes will for resale value when it becomes a limited edition. At this rate I can see them dropping if from the lineup completely. I think you might be right, they basically made a 135 killer without the cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Obviously a lot of options and "less important" bits are being removed, but what about those bits you can't see? I mean, mechanical things that actually affect the driving experience? Is that possible? How would customers easily tell?

At least with options you can see that they've been removed easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had an automated e-mail from my leasing company this afternoon saying delivery to dealer is now 01/08/2022, surely they have to be kidding! Ordered end of July with an October build date which became 13th December. Perhaps it's a typo and delivery 08/01….. Fingers crossed 🤞

·
Registered
174 Posts
Norfolk99 said:
Had an automated e-mail from my leasing company this afternoon saying delivery to dealer is now 01/08/2022, surely they have to be kidding! Ordered end of July with an October build date which became 13th December. Perhaps it's a typo and delivery 08/01….. Fingers crossed 🤞
Hopefully just using USA date format!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Norfolk99 said:
No confirmed delay now to August 2022, quite unbelievable……
To be honest this lead time ties in with my 128. Ordered 26/03/2021 and build date is week commencing 7/03/2022, delivey in April. Looking at 13 months minimum on nre build 128ti,

·
Registered
252 Posts
Finally picked up my "70" plate 128ti yesterday, 30 Nov exactly 1 year old as it was registered 30 November 2020 so got it on it's first birthday but no cake though. Not had a chance to try it out right as snow on ground this morning when I got home. Brilliant car and have figured out most of the tech. Only thing concerning me is it shows all time average of 21.9 mpg but this is linked to average speed of 19+ mph, so filed it up today but not to the brim and I'll see how I get on with it doing my usual weekly journeys. I'll post some pics at the weekend if the weather improves.

·
Registered
80 Posts
GampsBM said:
Finally picked up my "70" plate 128ti yesterday, 30 Nov exactly 1 year old as it was registered 30 November 2020 so got it on it's first birthday but no cake though. Not had a chance to try it out right as snow on ground this morning when I got home. Brilliant car and have figured out most of the tech. Only thing concerning me is it shows all time average of 21.9 mpg but this is linked to average speed of 19+ mph, so filed it up today but not to the brim and I'll see how I get on with it doing my usual weekly journeys. I'll post some pics at the weekend if the weather improves.
Congrats. Last owner clearly enjoyed driving it

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Only thing is it has new tyres on the front and I did ask dealer about it and all he said was it could have been due to damage to a tyre or just a desire to change . Fair comment I suppose as the mpg stats if I recall were just a few miles less than the total odometer reading before I reset it today after fuelling up. I think at 4570 miles it won't have been mistreated plus the previous owner sold it back to the dealer as it was worth more than he thought and has ordered a new M135i.

·
Registered
80 Posts
GampsBM said:
That's what I was thinking. Only thing is it has new tyres on the front and I did ask dealer about it and all he said was it could have been due to damage to a tyre or just a desire to change . Fair comment I suppose as the mpg stats if I recall were just a few miles less than the total odometer reading before I reset it today after fuelling up. I think at 4570 miles it won't have been mistreated plus the previous owner sold it back to the dealer as it was worth more than he thought and has ordered a new M135i.
Jeez, new front tyres after 4K miles. That is pretty low. You have a warranty so all good. Enjoy

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought so I asked and he said he didn't know. I'm sure it is P Zero tyres on the front and Bridgestones on the back so maybe the previous owner just wanted better tyres for handling. It is a bit of a mystery but I'm not too concerned because as you say I still have 2 yrs warranty on the car plus the PCP is through my bank and they assured me if I have any problems and unable to get them resolved they will step in. I'm not too concerned but when I get the V5 through I may give the previous owner a ring and see if he'll tell me reason for changing the tyres.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Forgot to say the car is immaculate though (well it should be at a year old and 4500 miles).

·
Registered
80 Posts
GampsBM said:
Yeah, that's what I thought so I asked and he said he didn't know. I'm sure it is P Zero tyres on the front and Bridgestones on the back so maybe the previous owner just wanted better tyres for handling. It is a bit of a mystery but I'm not too concerned because as you say I still have 2 yrs warranty on the car plus the PCP is through my bank and they assured me if I have any problems and unable to get them resolved they will step in. I'm not too concerned but when I get the V5 through I may give the previous owner a ring and see if he'll tell me reason for changing the tyres.
Wouldn't say it would be for handling, as then would likely have changed all 4 to something like Michelin PS4's. Odd that after a year the fronts are different to the rears, as usually you would try and have the same brand and model, but appreciate not always possible

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Puncture, couldn't get oe so replaced front pair sounds most likely to me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Decided I am going to book in to get laser wheel alignment check just in case the car has hit a kerb real hard, the dealer said they had to refurb one of the alloys where it had a small scuff and that now makes me wonder if it has been a bit more than that. They showed it as a mark on the rear offside but the video and weather was very poor so couldn't make it out. Hopefully the alignment and a check underneath will highlight anything. Hopefully all will be ok, even if alignment is out I don't mind though I should be able to claim that back from dealer. I don't think they have been 100% truthful as they said the previous owner only used it as a second car and for longer runs at the weekend, I thought that would have showed up better averages than 21.9 mpg and average speed of 19+ mph. I worry too much! :roll:

101 - 120 of 162 Posts