Baby BMW Forum banner
341 - 360 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Evening all, just joined the forum, looks like a good source of information, thank you to those that have contributed.

I’ve just ordered a 128ti in white today - completely standard with no options due to be delivered early Oct 2022.

Got an iX due in March 2023 so be interesting to directly compare the 2 very different cars from the same manufacturer. iX will be the main car doing about 30,000 a year with 128ti as 2nd car for school run etc if the iX isn’t there.

Thought I wanted a Golf R or GTI but I’ve had 2, 3 series in the past and they’re the best cars I’ve owned so this has a lot to live up to. Had an Audi A3, A4 and A5 and Merc A and E class all are alright but the BMW is just a bit better (would have got the Taycan instead of the iX if it wasn’t on a 65 week lead time though).

Looking forward to delivery and contributing to this forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Evening all, just joined the forum, looks like a good source of information, thank you to those that have contributed.

I’ve just ordered a 128ti in white today - completely standard with no options due to be delivered early Oct 2022.

Got an iX due in March 2023 so be interesting to directly compare the 2 very different cars from the same manufacturer. iX will be the main car doing about 30,000 a year with 128ti as 2nd car for school run etc if the iX isn’t there.

Thought I wanted a Golf R or GTI but I’ve had 2, 3 series in the past and they’re the best cars I’ve owned so this has a lot to live up to. Had an Audi A3, A4 and A5 and Merc A and E class all are alright but the BMW is just a bit better (would have got the Taycan instead of the iX if it wasn’t on a 65 week lead time though).

Looking forward to delivery and contributing to this forum.
Is the 128 a cancelled order ir is the expected delivery date oct 2023. Most of us here have been waiting over 6 months already with expected build next year..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the 128 a cancelled order ir is the expected delivery date oct 2023. Most of us here have been waiting over 6 months already with expected build next year..
Apparently there are 3 of them that are “in transit” - 2 now as mine has been blocked while the finance is approved. I’m leasing through a 3rd party rather than getting directly through a dealer (stopped buying from dealers about 5 years ago when I got fed up with the “negotiating”).
I’ve got the agent to confirm the car definitely exists and told them if it doesn’t arrive in October I’ll get a refund on my deposit (only £270).

I’m paying approx £408 a month for 47 monts with 1 month deposit. Maintenance (servicing, tyres etc is approx £30 a month). It’s leasing so you hand the car back at the end and don’t have any money in it but you can usually buy it at the end of the lease (they pick it up and send it to auction at the end of the lease).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Apparently there are 3 of them that are “in transit” - 2 now as mine has been blocked while the finance is approved. I’m leasing through a 3rd party rather than getting directly through a dealer (stopped buying from dealers about 5 years ago when I got fed up with the “negotiating”).
I’ve got the agent to confirm the car definitely exists and told them if it doesn’t arrive in October I’ll get a refund on my deposit (only £270).

I’m paying approx £408 a month for 47 monts with 1 month deposit. Maintenance (servicing, tyres etc is approx £30 a month). It’s leasing so you hand the car back at the end and don’t have any money in it but you can usually buy it at the end of the lease (they pick it up and send it to auction at the end of the lease).
Well done then. doesn't sound a bad deal in todays climate.. A previous writer had a good lease ordered march 21 but it did not materialise. He suspected they were not interested in supplying because of the deal he got something like 270 a month. I am pcp but sure some on here might like to know the leasing company.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well done then. doesn't sound a bad deal in todays climate.. A previous writer had a good lease ordered march 21 but it did not materialise. He suspected they were not interested in supplying because of the deal he got something like 270 a month. I am pcp but sure some on here might like to know the leasing company.

Leasing company is nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk you can go on the website and play around with mileage, deposit and contract lengths. They have a blue one due in February according to the website.

My finance has been approved so let’s see what happens with the delivery date…

·
Registered
85 Posts
Leasing company is nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk you can go on the website and play around with mileage, deposit and contract lengths. They have a blue one due in February according to the website.

My finance has been approved so let’s see what happens with the delivery date…
If you've paid a deposit they should now give you the BMW order number. Then you can check direct as to when the expected build week is. If they say early Oct delivery, it probably should be in build or about to enter build imminently.

If they don't give you the order number, be suspicious.

We've seen a few examples over the last few months of new orders getting their cars sooner than much older orders and it does seem to be in relation to the amount paid for the deal. For example over the 4 years, you will be paying in the region of £4k more than me and my car should have a couple of grands worth of options! And our deal was no where near the best either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you've paid a deposit they should now give you the BMW order number. Then you can check direct as to when the expected build week is. If they say early Oct delivery, it probably should be in build or about to enter build imminently.

Further to this, as I said above mine is now scheduled for delivery w/c 10/10 (only 12 months late) and it entered production this week. One scheduled for early October should defo be in construction now.

Reactions: Superdon

·
Registered
6 Posts

We've seen a few examples over the last few months of new orders getting their cars sooner than much older orders and it does seem to be in relation to the amount paid for the deal. For example over the 4 years, you will be paying in the region of £4k more than me and my car should have a couple of grands worth of options! And our deal was no where near the best either.
I’ve got a build date of 18 September (through agent not the actual dealer so may or may not be accurate) and with shipping etc October may be optimistic.

Did you order before the short supply made new and used cars shoot up in price? You’ve got a great deal, I had a brief look at some finance numbers and the interest rates reflect the current situation with inflation etc now.

How much somebody pays shouldn’t really come into when you get the car. To BMW it is sold, it’s the dealer that makes the money. I don’t know but it maybe there’s a part needed for an option that is delaying the manufacture. I know Land Rover are prioritising Range Rovers over everything else as they are most profitable so it would make sense for BMW to do the same and not make base models and focus on those with options. I know the i3 is built in batches (like Tesla do) rather than to order.

It seems like I might have been in the right place at the right time. I didn’t know there was a wait etc until I came on here. It must be very frustrating waiting and constantly having the date pushed back and then seeing others get their car sooner.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You are even luckier if you have a lease car coming that quickly as they are ordered via fleet/business channels rather than dealer retail sales.

As you said, BMW don't care how much discount a dealer gives on a retail sale as it's from their own margin but I'm not sure it's the same model for business/fleet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are even luckier if you have a lease car coming that quickly as they are ordered via fleet/business channels rather than dealer retail sales.

As you said, BMW don't care how much discount a dealer gives on a retail sale as it's from their own margin but I'm not sure it's the same model for business/fleet.
Looking around there was a lot of variation in price and availability. With leasing somebody buys the car (probably at a big discount as they will buy in volume) then lease it to somebody to pay the depreciation (and some profit to them) before they sell it via auction for a minimum amount to cover their costs. Ultimately it is capitalism at work - somebody has something to sell that cost them a certain amount, they will have a price they need for it and market demand and how quickly (or not) they need the money will depend on how they price it - do they want a quick sale for low profit or are they prepared to wait to get the maximum profit. Lease companies don’t look at individual cars it will be volume based and priced using algorithms like plane tickets - when demand is high increase the price, when it is low drop the price if you’ve got cars coming that are unallocated drop the price to avoid paying storage and the associated administration hassle.

it is just luck (if it is delivered in October). If a Golf GTI had been shown as in stock I’d have got that. Generally the lease companies are pretty good, they get commission for introducing the customer. Getting a customer (advertising etc) and taking them through the finance application takes time (which is money) if cars that are offered then don’t materialise they’ll soon stop working with that supplier and work with others. I was very clear with the company it must be delivered in October and if it wasn’t going to be, no problem tell me what you have got and I won’t waste my time or their time placing an order they can’t fulfil and then cancelling and going elsewhere. They don’t get their commission until the car is delivered.

I can’t see how a company thinks it is good business to not honour orders they’ve taken in the order they’ve taken them in and how people can be waiting many months while others don’t without an explanation - If something is delaying some builds give the impacted customer an option to change to what is available or a free upgrade. Not having any explanation isn’t right - there must be some reason so just be honest and tell the customer what it is.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The problem is though that supply is severely limited and has been for over a year due to chip shortages and supply of parts from Ukraine. BMW and other manufacturers are no longer interested in volume and are prioritising production of the highest margin vehicles. That is also why there are no finance contributions from BMW and the best you will get as a discount from a dealer is typically 3-5%.

It's a global problem not just affecting BMW. Last time I looked Ford were not even producing the Focus and Fiesta even though they are the biggest sellers and were instead using their limited supply of components to build higher margin cars.

Despite producing fewer cars, profits have increased. I doubt manufacturers will ever revert to chasing volume and over producing cars propped up by chassis and finance contributions.

·
Registered
Alpine White F44.
158 Posts
Covid is very rarely on the news now especially with the sad loss of our Queen. Its rampant in China again effecting the production many of the components BMW use.
It’s going to take a long long time for any car manufacturers to get their production level anywhere near where they were three years ago and the cost of producing vehicles will increase significantly and this will be passed onto the buyer.
If you’ve got a car ordered and a good deal, hang in there. The wait is horrendous but if you cancel you could be financially worse off and driving a car that you really didn’t want. The car I traded against my F44 lost over £4K in value in the eight months I waited for delivery but my dealer honoured the original deal. I know eight months is not long compared to how long some are waiting but if I had gone elsewhere I would have lost a good wedge of cash.
Hang in there chaps. The wait is long but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
it is just luck (if it is delivered in October).
Sorry if I missed it. Did they provide you with the AG order number? And did you see what the Genius said about what status it was at?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The delays due to shortage of parts I can sort of accept but what's really getting to me is that it doesn't seem to matter when you placed your order..........how can they supply cars to some people that were ordered months after people who are still waiting? There can't be that many cancelled orders.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine did .......... for Oct 21......... and yet here I am..........
Mine to, due for delivery mar possibly apr 21 i was told so i am looking at 12 months late..
Noted one advertised autotrader at 38020..i was told eeeks ago that had already been sold so they are probably trying to sell build slots, what ever that means .status 111

341 - 360 of 373 Posts