Baby BMW Forum banner
201 - 220 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Checked this morning and was still 112/8th Aug. Read this and checked again and now showing 112/22nd Aug. 😳

·
Registered
259 Posts
Go for it Dean. I have no-one to liaise with as sales manager (Harry Fairbairn) is on holiday, not that he would be helpful anyway.
Apathetic about the whole situation now.
Well I’ve been to the dealer. All he can do is confirm what genius said - pushed back to Week 35-36 (22 Aug +). He says they can’t get any more info out of BMW UK. I asked about delivery time once build has been confirmed, and he said 4-8 weeks. I asked about maybe going and collecting from the factory myself and he said that, post-Brexit that’s no longer and option because we’re out of Customs Union and Single Market, so has to go through the ports and customs checks.

I asked if BMW are likely to cancel the order and try to force people into the update, and he said he hopes not because iDrive 8 in the 2 series (with loss of real buttons and iDrive wheel) is dreadful.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So what the heck is it with the 128ti? Why does it seem to be the most delayed of BMW models: Can't find the mould to produce the 128ti badge? Lost the magic wand to bring it to life? Ran out of moon-dust that they sprinkle into the undercoat for more fizz, so they're waiting for an asteroid to knock some down to Earth?
When i was waiting for some Bilstein struts to be made for my car i gave up on them after 6 months and if i can't get a set for one car and BMW also source such things from them then maybe it's something like that - however, they recently updated the suspension on the M135ix model to match the 128 and can still make that in numbers and have managed to build AND deliver 100s of them whilst you wait for the ti.
The 128ti is currently the only BMW model that i can still spec exactly as i want it due to options being available singularly AND still is relatively affordable with just the right BHP & dynamics - and looks. Maybe that's it, it's such a good deal that they're not making enough profit on it.

Or, did they reduce the 128ti numbers so they can build the 135ix in larger numbers and keep the company's CO2 output within EU/national regs? I'm not sure how true it is, but i think car manufacturers have a certain CO2 threshold that they have to maintain to avoid fines so they lessen the output of their lesser models thru reducing power and/or electrification so they can still can still produce & sell higher-end thirsty aspirational models, perhaps the 128ti spoils this balance, remember the 120i model is not available in the UK perhaps for this reason else i would've likely ordered one of those.
Or are they just deliberately making it a rare model?

Hopefully they will make at least one last batch of 128ti and clear the orders [but unlikely they'd inform the dealers they won't be building anymore to stop more orders] before the F40 goes to the iDrive 8 LCI version or whatever the replacement they may have planned.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have emailed bmw asking if the 128ti has been hit hard and whether a batch is about to be produced. I have also said I am doubting if i will ever receive this car .
Keep you posted if i get a reply.

Reactions: kenningp

·
Registered
28 Posts
It’s a fair question to ask mate. Where did you send the email? I tried the UK MD and got nowhere, but that was about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bmw customer service, first time now making it clear i need the car for 14th october. Also its already cost them, my mrs is going elsewhere to replace her x3..
I've seen a load of new 118's hit the road, their website said priority is fill existing orders but i see a number if 128s have hit the showrooms in autotrader, just not my spec without going to silly money..

·
Registered
77 Posts
i just cannot understand BMW's position on these 128ti delayed orders. Other manufacturers like Mercdes and VW are cancelling batches of lease orders (according to Arnold Clark) so why are they not doing the same.

It's becoming very clear that BMW have offered too much disount of the 128ti and they dont see any point in building the cars as the profit margin is low, they are wanting customers to cancel so they can resell that build slot for a lot more.

But why wouldnt they just bite the bullet and cancel them? My order is now over the 16 month mark, BMW are probably thinking no customer will wait that long.

it is so bizarre, anyone else have theories on this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i just cannot understand BMW's position on these 128ti delayed orders. Other manufacturers like Mercdes and VW are cancelling batches of lease orders (according to Arnold Clark) so why are they not doing the same.

It's becoming very clear that BMW have offered too much disount of the 128ti and they dont see any point in building the cars as the profit margin is low, they are wanting customers to cancel so they can resell that build slot for a lot more.

But why wouldnt they just bite the bullet and cancel them? My order is now over the 16 month mark, BMW are probably thinking no customer will wait that long.

it is so bizarre, anyone else have theories on this?
According to Stratstone, they haven't had any 128's for many months. It does appear that BMW have a bunch of us all scheduled for the same date, although that's a moving target! That gives me a very small amount of comfort that they will all eventually be built.

On a slightly different note, Stratstone have told me that they refunded my deposit on the 1st July. That's news to me as I haven't requested it or seen it drop into my bank!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just checked again. Considering I was supposed to have been in build this week, which slipped to next week. They are now saying end of September build week!!! Still status 112. ☹

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine was still at build week 22/8 when i checked around 5:30 pm monday, but they did not have a delivery date..don't want to check again .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just checked, it us still at 22/8 scheduled build, status 112 with estimated delivery to dealer between 12-18th September

·
Registered
17 Posts
Back at 22nd August today?!?
Think its becoming more compelling by the amount of people now quoting the same date, that there is going to be a batch run on 128Ti starting the 22nd August,

Do feel for those who have waited so long in these crazy times, but have had to wait once in past way beyond my order date due to a dealer mix up, and will say, once driving the car, the wait is soon strangely forgotten if the car itself is pleasure to drive and be in, so hang in there those effected,

201 - 220 of 293 Posts