Baby BMW Forum banner
181 - 200 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
jonwilli said:
Nice work, some good handling mods for the cab
Thanks Jon. I'm guessing the springs were a bit knackered at 92k especially with the rear not sitting that much lower. Hopefully it'll wallow a bit less (I know it's always going to wobble more than mine with the roof cut off).

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
I finished the suspension yesterday….what I thought wouldn't take long was a bit of a pig.

Firstly I installed the paper gasket on the drivers side that I'd forgotten. I managed to snap my T40 socket loosening the LCA off to give me room to get to the top mount. This meant a trip to Halfords to get a replacement which was out of stock. Tits. Luckily one of the guys was super helpful and took one from a set they had under the counter and gave it to me free of charge.

Got home, sorted the gasket and then cracked on with the front passenger suspension. As with the rear this side was more crusty than the other so the bolts took sone freeing. Lovely.

The M3 LCA fitted pretty easily again.

I don't know if it was me being a bit tired, but I really struggled to get the damper assembly out. No matter how much a messed around with spring clamps I couldn't get the clearance to wiggle it out under the arch like I did the other side. I ended up wishing that id dropped the whole hub assembly (although looking how crusty those bolts were, that probably would have been another world of pain and frustration). Anyway, after lots of head scratching and swearing it was all out and a new assembly fitted.

I remembered that I had some 5mm spacers so I popped those on the rear.

The front is pretty low with the Eibachs and LCA's but the rear hasn't dropped much which highlights how shagged the rear springs were. I forgot to measure the arch heights.

I'll get it in for an alignment in the next day or so.

I had a fiddle with the screen too….

Wiring threaded through gaps etc.

Connected and screwed into place

But I then ran into an odd issue….it powers up the moment you plug it into the existing loom, even if the ignition isn't on. :chin: So, I'm not sure what's going on there.

I might have buggered it up by doing a factory reset too. :banghead: I'll pop it out again today and check connections etc.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Oh, and the brake pad wear sensor spring popped out so I need to replace the sensor. The pads are less than a year old and haven't done too many miles, so hopefully that'll go smoothly.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I get thoroughly cheesed off with the screen so it's been removed. I might have screwed it up even more by doing a reset and now CarPlay won't work. Tits. There's a chap in Brum that sells / installs units that look identical so I'm going to call him and see if there is anything that he sells which might help (an Android CarPlay dongle could get it up and running again, possibly).

Having been un successful with the screen, I resorted to what I know an gave it a clean and fitted new centre caps to the wheels because they eBay specials we're looking a bit ropey.

It's sitting pretty well now on the Eibach springs and M3 LCA's (front is a bit lower than I thought).

Rear looks good with 5mm spacers.

I drive it around the block a few times and it feels ok. The alignment doesn't feel as bad as my 130i did after the LCA's. The drivers side rear hasn't dropped quite as much as the passenger side so I'll double check the spring is sitting in the cups tomorrow. There were no untoward clonks when it moved earlier.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Octavius said:
What alignment settings are you going for Sam. Standard M3 or something custom ?
Not thought that far ahead! :lol:

I'll chat to the alignment guys and see what they sat / recommend.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
RoyBoy777 said:
Nice job. Car looks lovely!! Great colour.

That's disappointing on the screen, was watching with much interest to see how you got on with it.

Does it seem overly large in the little 1 series ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.

The screen is largely my fault….if I hadn't been so impatient and smacked the reset button it'd have been working now. Oh well. Going to have another crack at it on Friday afternoon once the car has been aligned.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
So, some progress with the car this week…

On Monday I had a wee fiddle and noticed that the passenger side front spring wasn't quite on the rubber seats as perfectly as I'd like. I fiddled and ended up in a right old pickle; struggled to get it back together after trying to perfect it. I did notice that the drop links were shagged and very floppy. I'd bought some new ones for my 130 for a future refresh so popped them on.

The 5mm spacers I'd fitted to the rear wheels were a massive mistake; they weren't hub centric so ended up wobbling like a beast. I place local to me had some 12mm spaces in stock so I popped over to grab sone hub centric jobbies….

Rear with no spacer

Rear with a 12mm spacer

Drive it for the school run and no wobble.

I need to figure out what to do with the fronts which look pretty tucked in compared to my 130i. I might try the 5mm jobbies to see what it's like. If not, I'll have to try some 10 or 12mm jobbies and hope they don't rub.

Had a fiddle with the screen and a, getting closer….

CarPlay is functional again. I just need to figure out the wiring issue…I've spoken to an electrical place and will drop in tomorrow to see if they can help.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Octavius said:
Hope your using longer wheel bolts with those spacers.
Yup, they came with new bolts which are a chunk longer.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Right another update on the bloody 125! :lol:

First up was a trip to Pumabuild in Aldridge for an alignment.

I'd heard good things about their alignments and I've got to say it lives up to the reviews. It's never felt better to drive.

The Eibach springs and Bilstein B4 dampers ride really well; better than before and it no longer wallows in corners, so the old springs were clearly shagged. When fitting the front dampers I also fitted shorter BMW Performance bump stops along with new rubber mounts and top mounts. I have some shorter Koni bump stops for the rear that I need to fit at some point.

The M3 LCA's and removal of camber pins have improved the front end feel, much as those mods did in my 130i. So, overall I'm a happy boy with his it's driving.

I just need to source some front spaces to sort the tucked wheels.

Afterwards, I had a crack at the screen again which is now almost working as r should be. It no longer powers up as soon as it is connected to the cars loom but for whatever reason it doesn't shut off when the key is removed. It can be turned off manually easy enough and if not it goes into a full **** down after 30 minutes.

CarPlay is working again with both a wired and wireless connection. The last thing to sort is locating the new microphone; it's currently mounted on the steering column with 3M tape. It's annoying that no aftermarket stereos seem to work with the factory microphone. I have a plan but need to do sone more investigation.

I'll live with it as is for now whilst doing some more digging to figure out how to get it working 100%.

Last few bits to do are the alcantara binnacle cover like in my car, sort the exhaust (will probably modify the stock one by wrapping the perforated pipes and fitting some Depo lights so it has angel eyes).

Maintenance wise, rear discs and pads are due soon, I need to do the diff oil (I already have what I need) and the gearbox oil needs changing.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I wish I had your motivation, I've got a stack of tomorrow jobs needing doing on mine if you run out of work on yours.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
nivens said:
I wish I had your motivation, I've got a stack of tomorrow jobs needing doing on mine if you run out of work on yours.
The motivation of getting this sorted is that my other half would like to take this when we do the NC500 next month.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Octavius said:
I've never seen anyone with the seat base fully extended. Is that how you drive it Sam.
Yeah, I like the extra support. It's one of the things I've always liked about the BMW sports seats.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Finally managed to grab some time to give this it's spring detail, just in time for us to head off to Scotland on Monday to do the NC500. Despite blast being cleaned on Sunday, it was bloody disgusting inside and out. I'm not sure what she how she does it! :cry:

Followed up usual approach:

* snowfoamed
* washed and dried
* chemical decontamination
* washed and dried again
* wiped down with Stripped Ease to remove the last of any wax
* polished with my DA and Scholl S20 (single stage)
* glazed
* two coats of wax
* glass cleaned inside and out
* leather cleaned
* carpet shampooed and vacuumed
* wheels coated with high temp wax
* exhaust tips polished
* engine bay wiped round quickly

It looks pretty good for a 13 year old car. It's going to need some paint in the future because the bumper has been painted badly in the past and there's a wee bit of laquer peel.

Chemical decontamination doing it's thing

Exterior done

Polished tips :p

Few interior shots

|[/url]

One of the things that I kept from my 130i before I sold it was the the carbon intake. Hopefully we'll get chance to hear it lots next week with the roof down!

[url][IMG]https://thumbsnap.com/s/u41ya8Uz.jpg[/IMG]|https://thumbsnap.com/u41ya8Uz

It's now tucked up in the garage until Monday morning.

181 - 200 of 221 Posts