Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know if there is a low cost and easy install way of smartening up the exhaust trim on a 123d?
The black 'chrome' looks ok when the car is spotless, but loses the 'chrome' appearance once it gets a bit mucky. Also the exhaust looks a bit weedy to me, particularly when the M version looks so chunky from the rear, IMO it lets the back of the car down a bit.
Now b4 anyone starts taking the p**s I don't want some chavy tin can on the back of my car :) I just want to make it look a bit sportier.
Also it's a company car so I can't go chopping off the original exhaust, I just wonder if there's a stainless steel or chrome trim that would slot over the top?

·
Registered
693 Posts
anthonypb said:
Hi, does anyone know if there is a low cost and easy install way of smartening up the exhaust trim on a 123d?
The black 'chrome' looks ok when the car is spotless, but loses the 'chrome' appearance once it gets a bit mucky. Also the exhaust looks a bit weedy to me, particularly when the M version looks so chunky from the rear, IMO it lets the back of the car down a bit.
Now b4 anyone starts taking the p**s I don't want some chavy tin can on the back of my car :) I just want to make it look a bit sportier.
Also it's a company car so I can't go chopping off the original exhaust, I just wonder if there's a stainless steel or chrome trim that would slot over the top?
You trim just slots over and secured with a nut BMW do a Aluminium look one that you may find looks better the part no is 18307803692
cost's about £30 is just a push fit once you have removed your existing one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Did you pick one of these up? Anywhere I can see a pic of this as I can find one anwhere? Ive got a 123d M-sport but like you it would be nice to 'beef' up the exhaust a bit!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks spot on actually.. As you say price is a bit steep, and the requirement for wielding is also a bit of a turn off too.. Performance backbox definately sounds like a costly option! Will also have to think about this one.. Cheers

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
No probs mate. I dont think you would have to wield it tbh. I'm sure the screws would do the job.

What performance box are you thinking of? Would be nice to get some sort of sound from the car!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not really look into it, mainly because I think thats just one thing that I need to concede when opting for the diesel, it simply wont ever that sound good!! But hey, the're supreme engines all the same..

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I recon it could sound good mate, better than no sound like already.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Milltek do sprts exhausts for Derv's...

Mate has just had one fitted to his A5 3.0TDI and it soudns awesome.

I know they do one for the Astra Diesel (4 pot derv) and have seen vids on youtube:

ASTRA 2.0TDI -

A5 3.0 V6 TDI -

Dont know if they doing a Derv exhaust for the 1er or not, but Im sure the question could be asked.

GT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jesus! Impressive sound from that A5...

Couldnt find much for the 1 series on their website, but this might well be worth taking a look. Ill post up if I find anything interesting

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
That A5 sounds awesome.

Think the astra sounds good too but the 1er would sound much smoother/better imo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
EvoGlynn said:
That A5 sounds awesome.

Think the astra sounds good too but the 1er would sound much smoother/better imo.
It is good on the A5.

1er with similar to the Astra will be good I think.

The 1er will sound smoother (They are common rail not PD like the Astra, and the 1er revs higher i think?!?)

The 123d will sound best though i think...It seems to sound best under tourque load, and obv the 123d has such a long tourque curve with its two turbo's, not to mention what a remapped 123d may sound like with performance filter.

All immeterial unless Milltek do a BMW derv exhaust!!! Will try and call tommorow if I get a chance, but if any one else get the opportunity let me know the outcome of the conversation.

GT

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brakz said:
Hi, Did you pick one of these up? Anywhere I can see a pic of this as I can find one anwhere? Ive got a 123d M-sport but like you it would be nice to 'beef' up the exhaust a bit!!
Hi no I haven't as I thought it would just make it look like the exhaust off a 118 or 120d and wouldn't actually look any better.
That exhaust tip on ebay looks pretty good, although when my wife saw me looking at it her reaction was "how much" :shock:
Good job I didn't tell her about the remap and speaker upgrade eh :lol:
I shall keep searching to see if there's any other options

·
Registered
268 Posts
Milltek aint doing an exhaust for 1 series derv, i was going to get one developed with them but they pulled the plug saying not enough interest :(

supersprint do them, not sure what they sound like though

come on BMW...get your arse in gear and do some true performance parts for the dervs...not silly CF parts

·
Registered
34 Posts
jonnyuk06 said:
Milltek aint doing an exhaust for 1 series derv, i was going to get one developed with them but they pulled the plug saying not enough interest :(

supersprint do them, not sure what they sound like though

come on BMW...get your arse in gear and do some true performance parts for the dervs...not silly CF parts
Hmm cant say I can see the 1er option in their catalogue.

Am i looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have searched and cant find many. Only really Eisenmann. Dont know what that will sound like though?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a look in the December Top Gear magazine page 110. The BMW Alpina D3 is featured - a 3 series fitted with the 123d motor and uprated a little. Brief but good write-up, but the car's rear view does show a twin outlet exhaust, though it's on a new exhaust system. That's what we want !

Don't buy the magazine - just flick to that page in the newsagent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mike60g said:
Have a look in the December Top Gear magazine page 110. The BMW Alpina D3 is featured - a 3 series fitted with the 123d motor and uprated a little. Brief but good write-up, but the car's rear view does show a twin outlet exhaust, though it's on a new exhaust system. That's what we want !

Don't buy the magazine - just flick to that page in the newsagent.
I tried to find out something about this back in March...

it could be done, but very very costly.

See this thread:
The Alpina backboxes are sooooo expensive. (The one one the Alpina Roadster (Z4 Alpina)) is 4k.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.