Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just collected car. New engine fitted, number recorded on reg. doc. ready for DVLA.

Car valeted and damaged interior trim to be replaced as good will gesture.

Hopefully no more issues, but you know where to look if there is any further problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
night nurse said:
I have recently purchased a new bmw 1 series in the last 6 months and 2 weeks after buying it, it went back for repairs on the fuel pump. A new fuel pump was fitted but only 4 months after this, the second fuel pump went. just wondering if this was a common fault on the 1 series? and more importantly the 3 door 1.8 diesel model.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Pump has seized 1st time round and replaced. Semi seized second time, taking out pump drive shaft (sheared), idler sprocket mounting & casing. Pump drive chain has become loose and swarf has been found in the sump. This is the new 1.8 engine used in both the 1 & 3 series.

Any help appreciated as BMW stalling on replacing engine.
Dealer has now confirmed that new engine is being fitted (with new engine no!). Fingers crossed no repeats. Will keep all posted

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
this will make a heavy dent in your pocket should someone do a hpi check on your car when you come to sell it... dont accept it under ANY circumstances, if they have got an engine with no engine number its illegal in the uk....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mrash said:
this will make a heavy dent in your pocket should someone do a hpi check on your car when you come to sell it... dont accept it under ANY circumstances, if they have got an engine with no engine number its illegal in the uk....
The car is on a PCP and naturally we will be checking values very carefully at the end of the plan. BMW UK have written stating that the engine change will not affect this value! But thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i don't believe the mileage is reset as even though the engine is replaced everything else has not been, a friend of mine had a 320d sport with a new engine 26000miles under warranty and it did not get reset the the service insp does get reset though..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
night nurse said:
Just collected car. New engine fitted, number recorded on reg. doc. ready for DVLA.

Car valeted and damaged interior trim to be replaced as good will gesture.

Hopefully no more issues, but you know where to look if there is any further problems.
Have now driven car with new engine. Feels & sounds completely different a lot more go!

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
dont want to appear rude mate, but, you are daft to even accept what they offered you... you should have rejected the car.... If someone does a full check on your car, they will see its had an engine replacement, and it WILL affect the value, and will probably put off any prospective buyer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The car is on a PCP with guaranteed trade in value, however we too shared you concerns and have a written statement from BMW regarding the value of the vehicle at the end of the PCP. Naturally if BMW deviate from this statement we will let you all know.

With regard to replacement, we will tackle that one if we have any repeat problems, although I am not sure if we would want a replacement if that was to occur.

·
Registered
461 Posts
^ The idea behind PCP is that the car is worth MORE than the 'guaranteed value' at the end of the term so you have a balance owed back to you which you then use as deposit on the next car...

So have they guaranteed the original GFV number (as above this is a worst case scenario value and I suspect the financial model takes into account diminished value due to a major repair or new engine)

OR

Have they guaranteed that the market value of the car (whatever it may be at the time) is unaffected?

Because the two are VERY different things!

I bet your GFV number is about £8000-9000.

What is a three year old 118d SE going for with average miles? A good couple of k more...

See what I mean?

Do you remember when they 'sold' PCP to you that they said about this difference between the value of the car and the PCP GFV likely to yield the deposit for your next vehicle? :?

If it is a company car ignore all the above, as it will be for Lex or whoever to worry about in 3 years!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments.

The difference between these two values is very much understood. I don't have the GFV to hand but I suspect you figures are not far off. BMW talked about current value & market values but rest assured we will be studying the markets very closely at the end of the 3 yr PCP because we DO NOT TRUST BMW UK. Luckly we have a much better relationship with the dealer and this is not the 1st car that we have purchased from them.

We wait and see!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, I wouldnt worry about it too much, enjoy the car. Some buyers may see it as a bonus, the engine being that much newer.

It's certainly a lot easier to put a positive light on this than a body repair.

Plenty of V8 BMWs had an engine change in the 90s and these examples are the ones sought after by buyers now. With the pre-mod engine they are a timebomb (but then if it hasnt gone pop after 15 years its probably not going to!)...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its been awhile now with the new engine & the car has continued to impress. This engine is chalk & cheese to the previous unit. Going in for its next service now with nothing to report.

Thanks again for all the comments (positive & negative!).

·
Registered
84 Posts
For what it is worth a new engine would not worry me as a buyer if the car had remained in the same ownership for a while after the change. The engine change shows that the owner stood their ground. If they then hung on to the car they would have been especially careful to have any further problems checked out and dealt with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the replacement engine has never missed a beat.

3 door being replaced by 2 door with same size engine in a few weeks.

Current market position offset any possible issues with replacement engine, cracking deal!

Thanks for all postings on this matter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.