Baby BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a problem with my 1-er for the last 2 weeks that it has an intermittent misfire at low revs, mainly when you over run say in 2nd or 3rd and then gently accelerate from about 1800 revs the car behaves like a kangaroo and then after about 2000 revs it is ok.
It does not do this all of the time and does not happen at all at high revs and the performance does not suffer after 200 revs, however this happened the other morning a bit more drastic and the engine management light came on and then went off as quick as it came on so I booked it in.
Has anybody else had similar problems as you can see the dealer saying there is nothing wrong because if you drive the car quick and I mean hit the pedal it very rarely happens.

Many thanks.

tc

·
Registered
693 Posts
Have you tried a different fuel or higher octane this can sometimes solve the problem my 116i always ran lumpy on supermarket fuel but was fine on Esso.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks Andy M the post you said have a look at is bang on. Mine does not do it when cold but after about 1/2 mile it starts this behaviour pattern.
I must say it is strange that if you thrash it, it does not happen????

It is going in to the dealer Wednesday (Ryedale Central in Birmingham) so I will see what they have to say.

The small EM light is now on all the time but they did not seem concerned at this when I booked it in, hurray for good old company cars eh.

tc

·
Registered
693 Posts
ej51nsy said:
Many thanks Andy M the post you said have a look at is bang on. Mine does not do it when cold but after about 1/2 mile it starts this behaviour pattern.
I must say it is strange that if you thrash it, it does not happen????

It is going in to the dealer Wednesday (Ryedale Central in Birmingham) so I will see what they have to say.

The small EM light is now on all the time but they did not seem concerned at this when I booked it in, hurray for good old company cars eh.

tc
Until a sensor fails and the car cuts out on the M42 at 70mph which happened to my ex!!! :evil:

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi readers
my1600es starts ok and ticks over ok but the first couple of miles it hesitates and misfires only when cold,also the clutch judders first thing on a morning both faults are intermittent.i have had the car in the bmw garage twice now, they phoned me this morning to bring it back in,but there computers have found nothing.the car is nearly two years old iam finding other problems asnow well.thanks graham

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep I had the engine management light come on a couple of times but it would go out when the car was restarted and the car didn't feel particularly different. The next time it came on though was when I was accelerating onto a motorway and there was actually an audible bang and a distinct lack of power. I had to constantly change down gears to keep the speed up. It stayed one after that and was diagnosed with a faulty crankshaft sensor. Strangely enough it was diagnosed with that before they had even seen the car. It is a very common problem across the entire BMW range with the recovery guy who picked my car up having dealt personally with 10 other cars that month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well picked my car up Wed night, when I rang they said there was a problem with the coil breaking down and had been replaced, after talking to one of the service receptionists they said the same and then went on to say a recall was out to change the camshaft sensor on the exhaust side which they have done at the same time.
Is this right that the sensors control the exhaust side so do they also control the inlet side???? WOW this sounds complicated.
Car runs a dream now and I must say it is more responsive lets hope it stays that way, still find it disappointing that a car with 8300 miles on the clock has these problems and the recall which I never had makes you wonder if they are waiting for the car to fail before they change the defective components?????

Another major problem was that they did not clean the car dam!! better get the bucket out.

tc

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
ej51nsy said:
Another major problem was that they did not clean the car dam!! better get the bucket out.
Glad you got it sorted, the fact the dealer did not wash the car is probably a good think as the grit sponge they use can cause some damage!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep I'd definitely say they did you a favour by not washing it. For years my 5 Series was cleaned excellently by my dealer but recently they changed their 'washing system'. First time they got their hands on my 1 they scratched it :roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 120i for my wife about 18 months ago and the first 9-12 months of ownership was blighted by flatspots/misfiring intermittently through the rev range. It was a nightmare to diagnose as was my dealer's insistance that it was the engine changeover from lean burn to "normal" burn that we were experiencing.

Nox filters and sensors, coils etc were changed with no effect.

Eventually a regional engineer took the car out and said it wasn't the changeover and shouldn't be spluttering as it was. They recommended changing the plugs and injectors as this could have been a problem.

When the dealer changed the plugs they said they'd noticed that there could have been a hairline crack on one plug that could have expanded under load and this could have been causing the problem. Ultimately plugs and injectors were changed and the car has been faultless since.

I just wish it could have been fixed sooner, had the dealer actually listened to me rather than try to persuade me that it was the characteristic of the engine I was experiencing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
O.P....i assume your car has the N43 engine in (post 07), chances are injector failure is likely, if not then high pressure pump would be favourite.

Oh and plugs and coils are not uncommon as already said. hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this a very old post, but I'm having the exact issues that ej51nsy and AndyM described
AndyM said:
Sounds very much like the problem which the 2 litre petrol engines suffer with. The things dealers have tried to cure the problem with are mainly crankshaft sensors or camshaft sensors.

See for more info.
Have it booked in to replace a coil pack, is it worth me mentioning to the garage to look at "the crankshaft sensors or camshaft sensors?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.